There are 191 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
There could be a couple of reasons aside from money that have him holding out. His foot may still be bothering him....could he be hiding that injury? Seemed kinda strange to have a stress fracture to begin with....or has he decided that he doesn't want to play for the 49ers.....if it was the latter...it would be a great negotiation ploy to present, may force the leverage on his side...or force a sign and trade after March 1st.......but if he is really still hurt...then total silence would be the case until he could withstand a team physical exam after signing

as a ultimate ploy, a sign and trade would still most likely involve a huge step down in money...i got to admit, the more i obsess about the situation, i really think he is just that dumb of a person...
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by oregondave:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Crabgreeds an idiot...I hope Patrick Willis punches him in the nose...
He NEVER has been close to this much money (16 mill) in his life.... Hes just hurting himself if he reenters the draft next year because
1) He gets way less money
2) Itll take him a year longer to devolop
3) He might be a little rusty
4) Theres a 3.2 % chance he will be a raider next year..

Not to mention he looks like a diva right now...

How can you not wanna punch him in the face?

I'd like to. what a douchebag.

LOL
Crabtree could kick your asses so easily.

I can't believe it's come to this, talking about punching Crabtree and saying he isn't that good ... it's just business.
He's being greedy and the front office is being stingy. They will meet in the middle.

Don't know how an 18-19% raise from the same slot last year is stingy?

“As far as Crabtree is concerned, I said it all along: He has to do what he has to do,” Singletary said. “We’re not sitting here contemplating, waiting or anything. We’re not blinking. We’re not flinching.

I love it, that is a leader of men my friends.

[ Edited by domesik on Sep 3, 2009 at 22:13:23 ]
I'm thinking maybe Crabtree waits to see how the 49ers offense performs during the first couple of regular season games.

If we see an 0-2 start due to an offense that can't stay on the field his leverage should build with pressure from a disgruntled fanbase desperate to add offensive firepower . . . even though his presence likely won't make much of a difference this season. But if the offense clicks, Crabtree's last practical leverage will be gone and he'll need to take the Niner's last best offer.

That's his last best hand short of the nuclear option. If Crabtree's in this for the long-haul he now needs to bank on continued offensive mediocrity by the 49ers.
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by joefosho:
Pay the guy and this over with already.

We do not negotiate with terrorist ;p

Yeah, we're making a stand!

Here's a novel idea for McCloughan and company. How about making this a quality franchise so players won't be able to hold us up in the future like Crabtree is attempting to do now. Let's make this an exciting destination for players to go to. Crabtree has every right to do what he is doing. Is it any wonder that the two longest hold-outs belonged to the Bengals and us? It's the company we keep that puts us in the situation we are currently in. Crabtree should have been in four weeks ago catching passes in a Mike Shanahan offense.

how does he have a right, he hasnt proven anything in the league, he hasnt practiced, and he wants more than the 7th pick, give me a break, he is a joke if he thinks we will cave.

So please dont defend him, he decided to holdout, not the other way around, we didnt ask him to.

and 16M guaranteed sounds good to me.

So this is really all about pride and self preservation. We are making a stand, not in the interest of getting better, but in the interest of making sure McCloughan and company are looked upon favorably when they have to go looking for other jobs. See, they will be looking. McCloughan got an unbelievable reprieve, then tossed that out the window with the ridiculously premature and unwarranted hiring of a guy that obviously thinks we play in a mother freaking cold weather environment where passing is impossible and people are actually pacified by some bull crap run at all costs offense.

If we cave in, McCloughan will be black balled by everybody except old man Al, so he has to toe the line and defend this stupid "slotting" method that isn't official and really only serves the best interests of those other than him. However, I would expect McCloughan to point the finger back at Paraag and act as if he had nothing to do with it just like he has pretty much used Nolan as a scapegoat and avoided any acceptance of responsibility for the outlandish situation that we are currently now in.

This has very little to do with pride, making a point or any of those other ridiculous arguments. It's a business and a football decision. We have a rookie salary cap for both this year and next season. We only have so much that we can spend on rookie salaries. If we pay him what he wants then good luck to us signing our two first round draft picks next year. Or maybe we only pay the two and can't afford to pay the remainder of our draft picks next year. Why is this so hard to understand?
Plus if we pay him what he wants then the organization will be viewed as weak by everybody's agent. We have all of the leverage here and now and not Crabs.
Unless Jerry Jones has promised to pay him top dollar next year to sit out (conspiracy theory
) he stands to lose a whole lot of cash by reentering the draft.
I could see us upping the offer to 27.5 million over 5 years with about the same 16 million guaranteed and not tipping the slotting system or maybe upping the offer by shortening to 4 years or lengthening to 6 years but paying him what he is reported to be asking for would ruin the franchise as long as most of us will be alive. We would be the Raiders twin.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

...If Crabtree's in this for the long-haul he now needs to bank on continued offensive mediocrity by the 49ers.

Easy money, man. Easy money.
Why did you guys close the 100 page thread!? now its never going to reach 200 pages and hell never sign!
If I was Crabtree I would start forming a list of potential coaches that I would like to play for, drop the list on Jed about week 8, officially sign in week 9, use the remaining weeks to get use to the NFL game, and then come back ready for a glorious training camp under the guidance of Mike Shanahan.

[ Edited by singfan on Sep 3, 2009 at 22:53:09 ]
If I was Crabtree I would start forming a list of potential coaches that I would like to play for, drop the list on Jed about week 8, officially sign in week 9, use the remaining weeks to get use to the NFL game, and then come back ready for a glorious training camp under the guidance of Mike Shanahan.

so wait let me get this straight. we wont even pay the guy what he wants but we are going to let him choose the coach of our team? that only makes sense to someone if theyre on crack.
I come from a country in central america where working at a reebok clothing factory pays about $5 dollars a day, 12 hours a day with only 2 breaks, (same factory where the authentic jerseys our 49ers wear on the field are made) and this stupid kid has not played a single down in the NFL and he thinks he's better than $16 million dollars, somebody plz slap some sense into him. he's got to remember that it could always be better but it could always be worse.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

so wait let me get this straight. we wont even pay the guy what he wants but we are going to let him choose the coach of our team? that only makes sense to someone if theyre on crack.

singfan
With jones out for a few more weeks and however long it takes for crabs to sign the niners may only have four or maybe three active WR's on the roster on opening day that will stick around all season. I know they will actually carry six or five but only three of those guys will stick after jones becomes healthy and crabs signs. Hopefully battle heals quickly. Tryouts at WR may continue into week 2 of the season for WRs.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by domesik:
Originally posted by cestmoi:

LOL
Crabtree could kick your asses so easily.

I can't believe it's come to this, talking about punching Crabtree and saying he isn't that good ... it's just business.
He's being greedy and the front office is being stingy. They will meet in the middle.

Don't know how an 18-19% raise from the same slot last year is stingy?

Cestmoi is a huge texas tech fan/homer. If that helps any...
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
singfan

seriously it was one of the stupidest things i have ever read on here. first, why would he choose shanahan? he wasnt a 9er fan growing up, has no ties to the wco, and his problem is money not sing. second, even if he were that sneaky/clever/evil etc, which i dont think he is, he would probably want a cowboys guy like jason garrett.

dont get me wrong he might be good in a wco. but i dont think we have any reason to believe he is that obsessive over the coach, or that he would have any pull in our fo.
  • NM49ERFAN
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
He will lose to much money if he sits out till next year. He's not dumb enough to do that. Atleast I think he isn't.

I think we might all be surprised.

I agree with you on that. Some of us might be surprised about what he is willing to do.

I think Crabtree has visions of playing for the Cowboys.

After hearing about a training camp nicknamed "Junction Boy's 2."
After seeing preseason games where we put poor numbers for our receivers.
After seeing Tony Romo's accuracy and play making ability.
After seeing the Cowboys new stadium and hearing about our old one.

He's thinking "Man, I would look good in a Cowboy's uniform. I would put up bigger numbers, have more endorsements. All I have to do is wait a year."

He has several connections to the Cowboys, and yes its against league rules, but seriously how are they going to stop him from talking to Cowboys team insiders like Deion Sanders, Irvin, etc. And who can stop those insiders from talking to decision makers in the front office?

And you know what? Who can blame him for thinking it?

But seriously, he's probably thinking that any team that picks him next year, will give him better numbers than this team.

A year long holdout would be less than surprising at this point.

you think a grown man would sit out a whole season just so he could play for his favorite team? ......................... sounds plausible. At this point who knows whats going on in this guys head.
Share 49ersWebzone