LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Chad ocho cinco: "tough situation about crabtree, I cant comment on that because I dont know about the situation, if I [he] were in crabtrees place, I [he] would have signed a long time ago."
See even a screw ball like Ocho Cinco can see what Crabdouche is doing is stupid.
crabtree should listen to chad. get your ass on the team man! i think the 9ers are waiting just to call his bluff and if he doesnt budge hopefully theyll atleast start negotiating again. crab should budge though, this is boggling my mind.

also i forgot to ask if deion had a reaction to what chad said?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jame-gumb:
From all speculation we have heard it does not sound like we are negotiating at all.

And we don't have to. SF offered Crabtree what he's worth. He was the No. 10 pick in the draft. He was offerd more than the 11th and less than the ninth. Crabtree has ZERO leverage. If I were SF, I'd laugh at him and his agent if they tried to negotiate from their position. Most logical people would.

Worth is based on what the market will offer.

Zero leverage is a bad argument. Crabtree doesn't have to play. That is his leverage.

As Mike Sando astutely pointed out, Crabtree was a "value" pick, not a "need", pick by the Niners. Given the run heavy offense the Niners intend to employ, they will not be lost this year if Crabtree sits out. If the Niners were trying to use the same kind of offense as an Arizona with the WR's they have now, then the Niners would be quite desperate for Crabtree and he would have some leverage.

The Niners would LIKE to have Crabtree, but do not NEED him. Crabtree would like to have the money the Niners do have, but apparently, according to Sanders, he doesn't need it. If Crabtree really doesn't need millions of dollars right now, and doesn't care about playing in the NFL right now, wasting a year of productivity and potential money earning, and he has no plans to budge, and, the Niners, who have everything to lose if they cave-in to his terrorist demands, then I can see a year long hold out.

In short, though Crabtree appears to have talent, his leverage is miniscule, because, as of yet, he is an unproven NFL talent, and the Niners do not NEED him for a run heavy offense. In the words of a very wise man, "you can't miss what you don't have." The Niners will get value for Crabtree whether or not he signs, while Crabtree risks the possibility of ending up somewhere else where he will make less money.

Good luck Crabs, you'll need it.

He will lose way more than he would gain holding out. He was drafted at the 10th slot so it is what it is. He will sign. Parker thinks our fronto office is weak and once he finds out it's not he will sign. The Niners won't miss him but Crabs will miss the money. You can't miss what you don't have applies to the Niners but not Crabs. If someone honestly thinks he will be better off sitting out then I have an everlasting gobstopper to sell you. I doubt Crabs is that stupid.

If Crabtree lights it up elsewhere the fans will miss him unless we can manage to get another playmaking WR. The fan will look back at the mistake we made by not attempting to pay him more money when we had the chance. Crabtree will come out the bigger winner IMHO in the situation if things turn out that way.

That is a if the Niners are will to take on him. Crabs will get the money but it's not written in stone that Crabs won't be a flop. That's the difference. His side of the bargain is written in paper. Preferably Benjamins. Crabs success in the league is unproven and the QB issue is bulls**t. If Bruce can get over 800 yards in his late 30's then Crabs will still get his numbers.

Scott certainly believed that Crabtree was a home run, he went on record saying so. While it is true that he is no sure thing, we would still be trading away a so-called "home run" player that was highly coveted by our GM to another team for less than what it cost to get him all because we were not willing to pay outside the slot ?

Risk vs Reward. If Scott and the FO don't take the risk they stand to lose a huge reward.

If he was so highly touted then why would a WR starved team like Jacksonville and the Rams not take that risk. He was drafted 10 so he should take 10. The only position which can demand this and that is QB's, because they are the most crucial part of your franchise. There are far more 1000 yard WR's than there are franchise QB's. If you fold then you just sent a bad message. Just like the Broncos did with Cutler and now look what happening with Marshall. No thanks to that, let the kid sit out but I am sure he will sign.
  • willisbeast
  • Info N/A
OFFICAL GET CRABTREE SIGNED DRIVE.
I HEARBY PROPOSE THAT WE ALL DONATE 100 BUCKS AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD. WITH THE AMOUNT OF NINER FANS THAT ARE BEHIND THIS WE CAN GET UP THE CASH TO HELP THE CAUSE. I AM GOING OT LOSE MY f**kING MIND WITH THIS. ONLY US. IT SEEMS LIKE ITS APPROPRIATE THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO US. IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MISSING OUT ON A POTENTIALLY STUD RECIEVER. BUT IT ALSO HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE EMBARRASMENT OF A THING LIKE THIS HAPPENING TO THE NINERS. IT TRUELY HAS MADE ME SICK MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.
What is the amount of the monetary package that Craptree is holding out for?

Someone, anyone, give us an idea!

Until then, no one can say the 9ers are being unreasonable.

It's on Craptree camp to put out the number that has the team and player at a standoff.

Then we can judge if its 9ers or Craptree that are in loony tune land.

Lets hear it.... what is Craptree demand number?
Originally posted by willisbeast:
I HEARBY PROPOSE THAT WE ALL DONATE 100 BUCKS AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD. WITH THE AMOUNT OF NINER FANS THAT ARE BEHIND THIS WE CAN GET UP THE CASH TO HELP THE CAUSE. I AM GOING OT LOSE MY f**kING MIND WITH THIS. ONLY US. IT SEEMS LIKE ITS APPROPRIATE THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO US. IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MISSING OUT ON A POTENTIALLY STUD RECIEVER. BUT IT ALSO HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE EMBARRASMENT OF A THING LIKE THIS HAPPENING TO THE NINERS. IT TRUELY HAS MADE ME SICK MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.

and why on earth would anyone do that? The guy doesn't deserve the kind of money he is demanding
  • willisbeast
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by backontop:

and why on earth would anyone do that? The guy doesn't deserve the kind of money he is demanding

Then I take it you are not on board. That's fine, who's with me. so far the drive has collected $100 from me. Anyone else on board? I have a bad feeling.

Then I take it you are not on board. That's fine, who's with me. so far the drive has collected $100 from me. Anyone else on board? I have a bad feeling.

re-visit reply 2435

[ Edited by BigMar on Sep 10, 2009 at 17:02:56 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by MrAdrenaline:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL...I think this is all the storm before the calm....

IE...Crabtree is going to use all he has in the days an hours before he signs. He may not sign before Sunday, but he'll sign within the month.

He just stands to lose too much money.

I do think that the Niners are going to have to give a bit on this one, but they aren't going to go with DHB money.

For all of those calling him selfish, Craptree, a "me" first player...I don't think your seeing the big picture here.

What we would ALL want to hear is that he simply LOVES the game of football and would play it for free.

Thats not realistic. Here's the deal...

...Put yourself in his position. You have a chance to set yourself up for life financially. How many times in your life will you have the negotiating power to leverage massive amounts of money to last you and yours a lifetime? Lets say he signs the niner deal and then breaks his neck in week 3. This would be his only payday. He has to ASSUME he will never get a chance at another contract like this again. It would be irresponsible of him to expect a second payday.

Now, his error here is not being selfish or not loving the game.

His error here is being mis-informed, getting bad advice, and being unable to accept that the payday he was expecting isn't coming.

Deion Sanders said "you can't miss what you don't have". That sounds like a stupid statement, but I understand what he means.

As long as Crabtee doesn't sign, he still thinks he has a shot at 30-40 Mil. As soon as he signs, he's only guaranteed 16. Both are rediculously large amounts of money, but he probably doesn't see it as he's making 16, he feels like he is LOSING 20 million.

I'm not trying to say his holdout is the right move or that he deserves more money. What I'm saying is that even tho I disagree with his position, I understand it.

At some point, he's going to realize the magnitude of what he's risking and he'll sign a contract.

He IS being selfish, as even 16mil guaranteed would be more than enough to set him up for life. That is WAY more money than 99% of people will see in their entire life.

Yes, but your missing the point.

40 Mil and 20 mil are BOTH enough to live on for a lifetime.

His problem isn't that he thinks 16 mil isn't enough for him. His problem is that he's been told there are teams that are willing to give him 40 and he thinks he's being cheated out of 20 Mil.

I think I might have an issue if I were cheated out of 20 million dollars!!

The BIGGER issue to me is how the hell does he know 2 teams would offer him that.

Ummm..........no.

I dont think there are teams willing to pay him that much. It's much more likely that he's being fed (by the likes of Deion Sanders) that he SHOULD HAVE been drafted higher than he did, and therefore he deserves more money than is being offered. This is not rocket science. Crabtree is being greeedy. He hasnt put put on the field, and he's asking to be paid like he's already Rice Part II.

Nice try. Im glad the Niners arent budging. Hopefully, he loses a year.....gets drafted in the 2nd round next year, loses endorsement deals, and ends up another Maurice Clemens type...............
  • Ashemarr
  • Info N/A
Screw an official drive to get him to sign.

Start a petition to boycott every single entity that gave him an endorsement deal. Those deals depend on the player's popularity, and he's just a pile of doodoo that came leaking from a faulty toilet. If Glenn Beck can lose his sponsors, so can Crab.
OFFICAL GET CRABTREE SIGNED DRIVE. I HEARBY PROPOSE THAT WE ALL DONATE 100 BUCKS AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD. WITH THE AMOUNT OF NINER FANS THAT ARE BEHIND THIS WE CAN GET UP THE CASH TO HELP THE CAUSE. I AM GOING OT LOSE MY f**kING MIND WITH THIS. ONLY US. IT SEEMS LIKE ITS APPROPRIATE THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO US. IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MISSING OUT ON A POTENTIALLY STUD RECIEVER. BUT IT ALSO HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE EMBARRASMENT OF A THING LIKE THIS HAPPENING TO THE NINERS. IT TRUELY HAS MADE ME SICK MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.

yea i already spent like 90 dollars on this fools jersey when it came out. hes not getting another penny from me until he signs.

btw did deion have a reaction to what chad said about crabby?

• rum53
  • Veteran
From purely a business stand point, it is in Crabtree's best interest to sign the #10 pick deal by Saturday. Once he misses games, the 49ers have every right to reduce the offer because of the games missed.

If he opts to sit out the entire season, he's betting $16M guaranteed that he will be drafted higher than #10 (which is highly unlikely) or that team will trade for and give him a large contract.

There is no situation what-so-ever where Crabtree gets paid the money he thinks he deserves. Assuming the 49ers will not budge on their contract offer, Crabtree has two options:

Sit out season & arrange a trade. Will a NFL team give up a 1st round draft pick to the 49ers and pay Crabtree $30M? That's a high price to pay for a rookie who's been out of football for over a year. I doubt any team will give up both $ and picks for a malcontent WR with no professional experience. The chances are that if a trade happens the contract offered will be similar to the 49ers current offer (which he rejected).

Sit out season & re-enter draft. Remember - out of sight, out of mind. NFL scouts are currently scouting the next crop of rookie WR's as college FB is in full swing. There are several highly touted WR's already putting up big numbers. Also, there are three QB's that can go in the top 10 of next years draft too. The chances of Crabtree going high in the 2010 draft are very low, especially when factoring in the diva perception that's growing with each day of his holdout. The odds that he goes in top 10 is virtually nil.

Both scenarios will likely end with Crabtree getting equal to or less money than the 49ers are currently offering.

From a business stand point, Crabtree is in a terrible situation. The 49ers actually have tremendous leverage over Crabtree right now. If they pull the offer from the table, Crabtree will never receive a rookie contract that exceeds the 49ers current offer. There is no end scenario where he can ever make up the money lost by forgoing the current contract offer. His only hope to recoup the lost money is through outstanding play leading to a gigantic second contract.

your bad feeling is correct. I don't think anyone really wants this guy on the team still.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
OFFICAL GET CRABTREE SIGNED DRIVE. I HEARBY PROPOSE THAT WE ALL DONATE 100 BUCKS AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD. WITH THE AMOUNT OF NINER FANS THAT ARE BEHIND THIS WE CAN GET UP THE CASH TO HELP THE CAUSE. I AM GOING OT LOSE MY f**kING MIND WITH THIS. ONLY US. IT SEEMS LIKE ITS APPROPRIATE THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO US. IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MISSING OUT ON A POTENTIALLY STUD RECIEVER. BUT IT ALSO HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE EMBARRASMENT OF A THING LIKE THIS HAPPENING TO THE NINERS. IT TRUELY HAS MADE ME SICK MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.

yea i already spent like 90 dollars on this fools jersey when it came out. hes not getting another penny from me until he signs.

btw did deion have a reaction to what chad said about crabby?

What did Chad say about Crabtree?
  • willisbeast
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BigMar:

re-visit reply 2435

and...
  • KNRO1670
  • Info N/A
I'm Michael Crabtree's agent. This will all be over as soon as..... YOU GIVE HIM THE DAMN MONEY!!!!!!!!

[img=]
Share 49ersWebzone