LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When would we get a good quarterback starting for us, Crabtree will be happy. He should look at the two first rounders we have next year and look at the draft class of quarterbacks. Or, he should look at Nate Davis. That could be a potent combo for years to come!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by jame-gumb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was good to hear some word from Trent Dilfer on his throwing session with Crabtree. Take it for what it is worth, but here was his statement afterwards:

"We went through the route tree and probably threw 50 routes each day," Dilfer said. "I do not want to make definitive statements based on grass basketball, but it was impressive. He was very, very fit. I crushed him, basically, in terms of the tempo, the expectation. I treated him like a five-year vet going through the route tree and he did not blink.

"He looked great -- very healthy, very strong, very fit, very coachable, very polished route runner and he had a great attitude. He showed very strong hands, attacked the ball in the air, never let one ball get into his body in two days."

It looking more and more likely that the WR described above will never suit for the Niners, which is too bad. This team is going to need him in the future.

One has to wonder if the FO truly grasps this....I said it yesterday and I'll say it again TODAY, put some more guaranteed money on the damn table. We need to be more aggressive in our pursuit of this signing.

If we pay him somewhere near what he wants and he were to be a bust it would never be as a big a deal as if he is as good as advertised and if he ends up elsewhere regardless of if we trade him or not. We come out of this as the big losers here for failing to recognize elite talent and not doing more to get him signed.

It's my opinion that teams should respect the slotting system. Rookies are overpaid enough. If the Niners cave with Crabtree, this will likely happen again.

For the umpteenth time, Brady Quinn was paid more than his #22 slot and that never affected the Browns draft picks in 2008 and 2009.

It was said yesterday also, quarterbacks are treated differently. They are an exception. Right or wrong, that has been the trend. MM mentioned this shortly after the draft.

evil, you always seem like a guy that needs a nap. Such a grump.

However, the Jets were not beaten up for signing Darelle Revis to that massive, incentive-laden contract. No problems signing rookies since then.

I think the argument of "the Niners' management will look weak and fragile, and will be taken advantage in future draft" is one of the weaker arguments on the side of management. History does not show this to be true.

Not a bad point. I think part of the problem with the 49ers proposed contract is the incentives though, isn't it? Crabtree wants more guaranteed. If the 49ers offered a deal that could balloon up the woth with ridiculous incentives, I doubt Crabtree would like it any better.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Personally, I hope he signs, even if it means upping the offer. I understand this is a business first, play later thing. The only thing that bothers me is he doesn't seem that excited to be a 49er (I know, the 49ers have sucked for quite a while). I still would think a rookie would be a little more excited to be a pro. I dunno, maybe he simply just isn't an expressive guy. Just hard for me to imagine someone seeming so humdrum about it all.

I agree with this above.

That's what bother's me about this guy too. I prefer the type of guy who would pretty much be raring to go to prove everybody wrong about himself. The type of guy who would do it for free if he had to, just to be able to prove himself and rightfully say: "Who's laughing now a*****es."

That's a winning attitude, and I'm not sure Craptree has that. That bother's me about him.

[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:15:34 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
This is going to be an epic fail for the front office.....I feel like the niners are the new Bengals.....pay him the damn money and let's ball....we've been waiting for a true #1 since Owens left.....these guys don't grow on trees.

And please stop comparing him to Owens...because it's not even close. He's a good kid getting bad advice...it has nothing to do with his attitude.

You clearly dont know what your talking about.

You get pushed around by one 1st round rookie, you will get pushed around by all of them.

Can you support your baseless claim ?

Has a team ever paid anyone higher then what they were slotted for ?
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
This is going to be an epic fail for the front office.....I feel like the niners are the new Bengals.....pay him the damn money and let's ball....we've been waiting for a true #1 since Owens left.....these guys don't grow on trees.

And please stop comparing him to Owens...because it's not even close. He's a good kid getting bad advice...it has nothing to do with his attitude.

You get pushed around by one 1st round rookie, you will get pushed around by all of them.

It's basic logic. No smart player is going to go the mattresses with a team that has all the leverage and a history of letting players hang themselves.

Again, I think saying "all the rookies will walk all over SF" is pushing it, but it does set a precedent.

Yes lol
Guys, does he gain anything by signing before Sunday?

Does he lose anything by waiting until Saturday to sign?

More recently...hmm...Darrell Revis from the Jets. Brady Quinn. I think Derrick Harvey did too.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Seems most teams decided to fill needs as opposed to selecting the BPA. Outside of the Jets no team traded up into the top 10, as again it is costly especially when factoring in what one has to also pay the draft pick as well.

Or they didn't think he was the bpa. The point is that the only evidence to support the fact that Crabtree was a top-3 talent was that analysts said he was.

My point: I don't care what he thinks he's worth. He's been offered a fair deal. He's holding out for more money that he won't get. What he's doing is f**king stupid. Period.

I bet there are teams out there who if they had taken him at 10 would be willing to pay him, unlike us. Why ? Probably because players with ceilings as high as his being taken at 10 don't come around or happen often if hardly ever.

And FWIW some of those analysts are former players and or NFL execs and know talent when they see it.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Cleveland and Brady Quinn.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

QBs are the exception.

Seems most teams decided to fill needs as opposed to selecting the BPA. Outside of the Jets no team traded up into the top 10, as again it is costly especially when factoring in what one has to also pay the draft pick as well.

Or they didn't think he was the bpa. The point is that the only evidence to support the fact that Crabtree was a top-3 talent was that analysts said he was.

My point: I don't care what he thinks he's worth. He's been offered a fair deal. He's holding out for more money that he won't get. What he's doing is f**king stupid. Period.

I bet there are teams out there who if they had taken him at 10 would be willing to pay him, unlike us. Why ? Probably because players with ceilings as high as his being taken at 10 don't come around or happen often if hardly ever.

And FWIW some of those analysts are former players and or NFL execs and know talent when they see it.

Talent like Alex Smith??? Just cause they were former players, does not mean they can spot talent that will or will not translate to the NFL...
I wanna make a Crabtree: Vote Thread with two options "Sign him whatever the cost," or "Don't pay him more then his slot is worth"

but it'd probably just get locked. lol
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

The league is full of history of draftee's with ceilings higher than what has come before falling right on their ass and not amounting to anything.
Originally posted by Method:
I wanna make a Crabtree: Vote Thread with two options "Sign him whatever the cost," or "Don't pay him more then his slot is worth"

but it'd probably just get locked. lol

• evil
  • Veteran

QBs are the exception.

Darelle Revis.
Share 49ersWebzone