There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He'd be pretty much useless other than a decoy this season. I think the Niners should offer a Curry type deal by adding a year to the package (to make up for a lost year)but stick to the slotted yearly average dollars.

6 years, $34M Total, $21M Guaranteed

It's still not DHB money, but if that's not good enough it's time to start looking for spring trade partners.

I completely agree! This should be done today and I would say, if I was doing the negotiating for the 9ers, "This is our final offer, if you don't have this signed starting Monday then $1M will be docked off the guaranteed amount for every week you don't sign.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He'd be pretty much useless other than a decoy this season. I think the Niners should offer a Curry type deal by adding a year to the package (to make up for a lost year)but stick to the slotted yearly average dollars.

6 years, $34M Total, $21M Guaranteed

It's still not DHB money, but if that's not good enough it's time to start looking for spring trade partners.

I completely agree! This should be done today and I would say, if I was doing the negotiating for the 9ers, "This is our final offer, if you don't have this signed starting Monday then $1M will be docked off the guaranteed amount for every week you don't sign.

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if they've already said that.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jame-gumb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was good to hear some word from Trent Dilfer on his throwing session with Crabtree. Take it for what it is worth, but here was his statement afterwards:

"We went through the route tree and probably threw 50 routes each day," Dilfer said. "I do not want to make definitive statements based on grass basketball, but it was impressive. He was very, very fit. I crushed him, basically, in terms of the tempo, the expectation. I treated him like a five-year vet going through the route tree and he did not blink.

"He looked great -- very healthy, very strong, very fit, very coachable, very polished route runner and he had a great attitude. He showed very strong hands, attacked the ball in the air, never let one ball get into his body in two days."

It looking more and more likely that the WR described above will never suit for the Niners, which is too bad. This team is going to need him in the future.

One has to wonder if the FO truly grasps this....I said it yesterday and I'll say it again TODAY, put some more guaranteed money on the damn table. We need to be more aggressive in our pursuit of this signing.

If we pay him somewhere near what he wants and he were to be a bust it would never be as a big a deal as if he is as good as advertised and if he ends up elsewhere regardless of if we trade him or not. We come out of this as the big losers here for failing to recognize elite talent and not doing more to get him signed.

It's my opinion that teams should respect the slotting system. Rookies are overpaid enough. If the Niners cave with Crabtree, this will likely happen again.

For the umpteenth time, Brady Quinn was paid more than his #22 slot and that never affected the Browns draft picks in 2008 and 2009.

It was said yesterday also, quarterbacks are treated differently. They are an exception. Right or wrong, that has been the trend. MM mentioned this shortly after the draft.

evil, you always seem like a guy that needs a nap. Such a grump.

And top 3 talents (arguably even the best player) in the draft normally don't fall to number 10.

If the guy knows the route tree and seemingly is running precise routes he may be able to contribute this year regardless of the fact that he missed TC.

Risk vs Reward. If we cave or attempt to try and meet in the middle the reward will be much greater than the risk involved if there truly is a risk involved.

Got to love how nearly everyone wants to hate on the posters who support Crabtree getting paid so he can finally suit up and be a part of this team. Good job guys

Not saying that, simply that QBs aren't the best for comparison. Randy Moss fell pretty far, but I don't know off-hand what kind of contract he signed.
I don't think it is really so far-fetched for a top talent, who was injured and couldn't workout, to fall a little bit. Nobody considered a Top 3 talent is guaranteed to be taken in the top 3.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
I'm not a fan of any rookie holdouts.
Crabtree looked like a beat in college, yes but so did Ryan Leaf.
You have to earn your money, if he's concerned that he will not make enough of an impact on our team because of the run first attitude, then he has issues with himself. You have to go out and make an impact despite of being on a run first team.

Is Mr. Crabgra$$, implying that he is worried about how bad the team will make him look, by not featuring him enough ?... Imo he should be concerned with how he can help our team get better...
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Mel Kiper, Mike Mayok, et al thought he was a top-3 talent. NFL teams thought he was the No. 10 talent. If Crabtree wants top-3 money, he should talk to the analysts.

That might be oversimplified, but it's the point. Crabtree thinks he's better than DHB and wants to be paid like it. The bottom line is that worth is defined only as the price someone is willing to pay. The price SF is willing to pay is fair. If Crabtree doesn't like it, he can sit out a year and take less money next year AND earn $0 this year.
This is way premature... but it is how I feel. (right now)

RYAN LEAF = MICHAEL CRABTREE

It pisses me off everytime I play NCAA Football 10 and his mug is the first thing I have to look at...

What I want is some poetic justice... Crabtree sits out, we trade him for some picks in the spring, and then he get THEISMANIZED in his first preseason game. This saves us the money for our current two 1st round draft picks and he goes on to the Top 25 list right behind Ryan Leaf.

BTW... I played golf with Ryan Leaf at the Couer D Alene golf course a couple years ago and I had to bite my tongue the whole time so I didn't say anything about football. Plus... He would have definitely kicked my tail!
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
It was good to hear some word from Trent Dilfer on his throwing session with Crabtree. Take it for what it is worth, but here was his statement afterwards:

"We went through the route tree and probably threw 50 routes each day," Dilfer said. "I do not want to make definitive statements based on grass basketball, but it was impressive. He was very, very fit. I crushed him, basically, in terms of the tempo, the expectation. I treated him like a five-year vet going through the route tree and he did not blink.

"He looked great -- very healthy, very strong, very fit, very coachable, very polished route runner and he had a great attitude. He showed very strong hands, attacked the ball in the air, never let one ball get into his body in two days."

It looking more and more likely that the WR described above will never suit for the Niners, which is too bad. This team is going to need him in the future.

One has to wonder if the FO truly grasps this....I said it yesterday and I'll say it again TODAY, put some more guaranteed money on the damn table. We need to be more aggressive in our pursuit of this signing.

If we pay him somewhere near what he wants and he were to be a bust it would never be as a big a deal as if he is as good as advertised and if he ends up elsewhere regardless of if we trade him or not. We come out of this as the big losers here for failing to recognize elite talent and not doing more to get him signed.

It's my opinion that teams should respect the slotting system. Rookies are overpaid enough. If the Niners cave with Crabtree, this will likely happen again.

For the umpteenth time, Brady Quinn was paid more than his #22 slot and that never affected the Browns draft picks in 2008 and 2009.

It was said yesterday also, quarterbacks are treated differently. They are an exception. Right or wrong, that has been the trend. MM mentioned this shortly after the draft.

And top 3 talents (arguably even the best player) in the draft normally don't fall to number 10.

If the guy knows the route tree and seemingly is running precise routes he may be able to contribute this year regardless of the fact that he missed TC.

Risk vs Reward. If we cave or attempt to try and meet in the middle the reward will be much greater than the risk involved if there truly is a risk involved.

Got to love how nearly everyone wants to hate on the posters who support Crabtree getting paid so he can finally suit up and be a part of this team. Good job guys

Not saying that, simply that QBs aren't the best for comparison. Randy Moss fell pretty far, but I don't know off-hand what kind of contract he signed.
I don't think it is really so far-fetched for a top talent, who was injured and couldn't workout, to fall a little bit. Nobody considered a Top 3 talent is guaranteed to be taken in the top 3.

Moss fell due to his off the field issues, not comparable.
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
I'm not a fan of any rookie holdouts.
Crabtree looked like a beat in college, yes but so did Ryan Leaf.
You have to earn your money, if he's concerned that he will not make enough of an impact on our team because of the run first attitude, then he has issues with himself. You have to go out and make an impact despite of being on a run first team.

Is Mr. Crabgra$$, implying that he is worried about how bad the team will make him look, by not featuring him enough ?... Imo he should be concerned with how he can help our team get better...

do you blame him ? Run 60% of the time then give him a contract with insentive he will never reach like making as many recptions as the Goat first 2 years. With our s**tty QB play it's never going to happen and on top of it you have and OC saying we will run 60% of the time, I am falling a sleep already !

Actually I think Crabtree fell due to off field issues as well. Like the fact that some teams thought he might be a diva

Crabtree had some personality issues coming out. Not to the extremity of Moss's though. They play the same position, top talents in their respective draft classes, both had some red flags (Moss's being more extreme, but he did fall further).

Seems more comparable than a QB (a fair amount didn't consider your ND QB a top 3 talent, either).
This is going to be an epic fail for the front office.....I feel like the niners are the new Bengals.....pay him the damn money and let's ball....we've been waiting for a true #1 since Owens left.....these guys don't grow on trees.

And please stop comparing him to Owens...because it's not even close. He's a good kid getting bad advice...it has nothing to do with his attitude.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
This is going to be an epic fail for the front office.....I feel like the niners are the new Bengals.....pay him the damn money and let's ball....we've been waiting for a true #1 since Owens left.....these guys don't grow on trees.

And please stop comparing him to Owens...because it's not even close. He's a good kid getting bad advice...it has nothing to do with his attitude.

You clearly dont know what your talking about.

You get pushed around by one 1st round rookie, you will get pushed around by all of them.
JUST f**kING SIGN THE f**kER ALREADY. THIS IS THE LAST SEASON WHERE A #1 PICK COULD DO THIS BULLs**t SO JUST PAY HIM HIS f**kING MONEY AND GET HIM ON THE FIELD BY SUNDAY!!!!
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
He's a good kid getting bad advice...it has nothing to do with his attitude.

I don't buy this excuse. You'd have to be f**king stupid to do what Crabtree is doing. Even if he's stupid enough to have not figured it out himself, the media coverage is spelling it out for him. This is on Crabtree.

And let's not go annointing him a No. 1 WR. Lots of top WR picks have busted or not lived up to the hype.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by susweel:
You get pushed around by one 1st round rookie, you will get pushed around by all of them.

Thank you. Some people aren't grasping this.