LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm at a loss of words about this whole mess.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was good to hear some word from Trent Dilfer on his throwing session with Crabtree. Take it for what it is worth, but here was his statement afterwards:

"We went through the route tree and probably threw 50 routes each day," Dilfer said. "I do not want to make definitive statements based on grass basketball, but it was impressive. He was very, very fit. I crushed him, basically, in terms of the tempo, the expectation. I treated him like a five-year vet going through the route tree and he did not blink.

"He looked great -- very healthy, very strong, very fit, very coachable, very polished route runner and he had a great attitude. He showed very strong hands, attacked the ball in the air, never let one ball get into his body in two days."

It looking more and more likely that the WR described above will never suit for the Niners, which is too bad. This team is going to need him in the future.
Dilfer is a brown-nosing talking head. He has never said a bad word about anybody.
He'd be pretty much useless other than a decoy this season. I think the Niners should offer a Curry type deal by adding a year to the package (to make up for a lost year)but stick to the slotted yearly average dollars.

6 years, $34M Total, $21M Guaranteed

It's still not DHB money, but if that's not good enough it's time to start looking for spring trade partners.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by jame-gumb:
It was good to hear some word from Trent Dilfer on his throwing session with Crabtree. Take it for what it is worth, but here was his statement afterwards:

"We went through the route tree and probably threw 50 routes each day," Dilfer said. "I do not want to make definitive statements based on grass basketball, but it was impressive. He was very, very fit. I crushed him, basically, in terms of the tempo, the expectation. I treated him like a five-year vet going through the route tree and he did not blink.

"He looked great -- very healthy, very strong, very fit, very coachable, very polished route runner and he had a great attitude. He showed very strong hands, attacked the ball in the air, never let one ball get into his body in two days."

It looking more and more likely that the WR described above will never suit for the Niners, which is too bad. This team is going to need him in the future.

One has to wonder if the FO truly grasps this....I said it yesterday and I'll say it again TODAY, put some more guaranteed money on the damn table. We need to be more aggressive in our pursuit of this signing.

If we pay him somewhere near what he wants and he were to be a bust it would never be as a big a deal as if he is as good as advertised and if he ends up elsewhere regardless of if we trade him or not. We come out of this as the big losers here for failing to recognize elite talent and not doing more to get him signed.

It's my opinion that teams should respect the slotting system. Rookies are overpaid enough. If the Niners cave with Crabtree, this will likely happen again.

For the umpteenth time, Brady Quinn was paid more than his #22 slot and that never affected the Browns draft picks in 2008 and 2009.

It was said yesterday also, quarterbacks are treated differently. They are an exception. Right or wrong, that has been the trend. MM mentioned this shortly after the draft.

evil, you always seem like a guy that needs a nap. Such a grump.

And top 3 talents (arguably even the best player) in the draft normally don't fall to number 10.

If the guy knows the route tree and seemingly is running precise routes he may be able to contribute this year regardless of the fact that he missed TC.

Risk vs Reward. If we cave or attempt to try and meet in the middle the reward will be much greater than the risk involved if there truly is a risk involved.

Got to love how nearly everyone wants to hate on the posters who support Crabtree getting paid so he can finally suit up and be a part of this team. Good job guys

One has to wonder if the FO truly grasps this....I said it yesterday and I'll say it again TODAY, put some more guaranteed money on the damn table. We need to be more aggressive in our pursuit of this signing.

If we pay him somewhere near what he wants and he were to be a bust it would never be as a big a deal as if he is as good as advertised and if he ends up elsewhere regardless of if we trade him or not. We come out of this as the big losers here for failing to recognize elite talent and not doing more to get him signed.

It's my opinion that teams should respect the slotting system. Rookies are overpaid enough. If the Niners cave with Crabtree, this will likely happen again.

For the umpteenth time, Brady Quinn was paid more than his #22 slot and that never affected the Browns draft picks in 2008 and 2009.

It was said yesterday also, quarterbacks are treated differently. They are an exception. Right or wrong, that has been the trend. MM mentioned this shortly after the draft.

And top 3 talents (arguably even the best player) in the draft normally don't fall to number 10.

If the guy knows the route tree and seemingly is running precise routes he may be able to contribute this year regardless of the fact that he missed TC.

Risk vs Reward. If we cave or attempt to try and meet in the middle the reward will be much greater than the risk involved if there truly is a risk involved.

Got to love how nearly everyone wants to hate on the posters who support Crabtree getting paid so he can finally suit up and be a part of this team. Good job guys

At this point it isn't my money so if they gonna spend spend it. Get the kid in the building. Might not even be a salary cap real soon
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He'd be pretty much useless other than a decoy this season. I think the Niners should offer a Curry type deal by adding a year to the package (to make up for a lost year)but stick to the slotted yearly average dollars.

It's still not DHB money, but if that's not good enough it's time to start looking for spring trade partners.

Not really. Not if he can run the full route tree and precisely at that like Dilfer is pretty much claiming. If Hill is willing to win games he'd be willing to put in extra work after practice to work on timing with MC and Crabtree has veterans he can lean on to help digest the playbook. He may not be a starter but he certainly can be a contributor in this offense.

Right now our best offensive weapon at WR is likely the kid who's legs are tired from the rigors of training camp. No wonder why the team wants to run 60% of the time.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

At this point it isn't my money so if they gonna spend spend it. Get the kid in the building. Might not even be a salary cap real soon

Right.

I mean would we as fans be happier with a MC that is paid more than his slots worth but is in uniform and trying to earn the chance to prove his worth or holding our ground with him hoping he'll cave and then trying to trade him and not even knowing what (if any) value we will get in return and if we can parlay said value and the draft picks we already have into hoping we can land a WR that has more or nearly as much potential as he has. Chances are you won't find that kid outside of the 1st or 2nd round going by the results we have seen since 2005 where all of about 2 or 3 WR's out of nearly 100 drafted from the 3rd round on have become #1 or shown the potential to become a #1 WR.

Currently the guys we have at WR have not shown enough to make anyone believe they can be a legitimate #1 WR in this league.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A

I don't know if I'm lumped in with this group or not, but Crabtree has been offered enough money. I support Crabtree signing the fair contract he was offered. I don't support the team giving into the demands of a kid who's acting like an idiot.

I have nothing against Crabtree (despite the fact that I wanted Orakpo over him). Once he signs, great. But right now, he's hanging himself. That's his problem. I don't care. Let him waste a year of playing and trade his rights for a second rounder.

edit: And why should SF give into a player with ZERO negotiating leverage?

[ Edited by jame-gumb on Sep 10, 2009 at 08:20:17 ]
The Niners should shorten the deal to three years and promise to renegotiate after the deal runs out and Crabtree puts up the numbers he believes he can put up.
Originally posted by Winners:
Has anyone in this 140 page thread talked about Crabtree and the likeliness that he'll sit out the whole season?

I want a recap, i'm not reading all these pages.

Wild Card Post of the Year?

Wow seriously people think he deserves money? He doesn't even deserve the contract he got offered. He hasn't played a game, been to a practice, hell he hasn't done ANYTHING. College doesn't mean ANYTHING sorry but you get paid as far as where your slotted not based on your college stats. College stats do not translate into NFL achievements. Do you honestly think anyone in the NFL cares about Crabtree they have earned their paychecks by showing up on the field. So to anyone saying give him money that he deserves please think before you type...or were gonna end up with the next Reggie Bush incident where someone rips up college and gets paid because of it. The NFL is a whole new ballgame and he should not get paid any big contract until he actually earns it in a Niner uniform case closed bye.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I will not sit out the season. I have been saying this from the beginning. I think the biggest issue is whether he really wants to be here. We could meet him in the middle and give him a 25 million dollar signing bonus. But what if he doesn't want to be here and holds out in two years. We may then have to trade him away and take a huge lost. Just my two cents since nobody but the niners and crabtree really know what the issues really are.
I'm not a fan of any rookie holdouts.
Crabtree looked like a beat in college, yes but so did Ryan Leaf.
You have to earn your money, if he's concerned that he will not make enough of an impact on our team because of the run first attitude, then he has issues with himself. You have to go out and make an impact despite of being on a run first team.

I completely agree! This should be done today and I would say, if I was doing the negotiating for the 9ers, "This is our final offer, if you don't have this signed starting Monday then $1M will be docked off the guaranteed amount for every week you don't sign.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

I completely agree! This should be done today and I would say, if I was doing the negotiating for the 9ers, "This is our final offer, if you don't have this signed starting Monday then $1M will be docked off the guaranteed amount for every week you don't sign.

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if they've already said that.
Share 49ersWebzone