There are 147 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I really question how some of you function at work or in relationships? Do u ever get promoted? Does anyone count on you to do anything that requires analysis? Seriously some of you noobs have the most asinine comments I've ever seen on the zone.

Sing - "we are keeping him out in order to prevent further injury and keep him ready for the season."

Zoner Noob- Dood I hatez Alecks and I wantzed hym gon butt now that hee iznt playeeng in wun meeningless gayme my panteez iz in twistez dood! Ahhhhh alecks suxorz dood. Tha leef strikez agehn. Ahhhh. Kant...saiiii...ehneeeeetheeeng....goood.

Ironic. You are totally missing the point of the discussion. I'm not suggesting one way or the other whether Smith will be a good QB or should or should not be on this team.

I'm suggesting that given that he has proven nothing, needs the 'live' work (having only played in 32 games in his career), and given that his thumb is fine (Smith said 'I'm ready to go' and the team conceded that he would play if this was the regular season) and given that the actual risk of reinjury is miniscule (really, what are the odds that very thumb would be hit again?) and given that with the well-documented pass blocking weaknesses of our o-line there is a VERY strong chance Smith will have to play this year...

...it is a valid question why he isn't getting that much needed playing time tonight.

Extra reps for Davis are worthless to our success or failure this year. Listen -- if we get down to him at any point this season the season is lost, and an extra quarter of play tonight won't make one bit of difference.

My post wasnt directed at YOU but ok.

I really question how some of you function at work or in relationships? Do u ever get promoted? Does anyone count on you to do anything that requires analysis? Seriously some of you noobs have the most asinine comments I've ever seen on the zone.

Sing - "we are keeping him out in order to prevent further injury and keep him ready for the season."

Zoner Noob- Dood I hatez Alecks and I wantzed hym gon butt now that hee iznt playeeng in wun meeningless gayme my panteez iz in twistez dood! Ahhhhh alecks suxorz dood. Tha leef strikez agehn. Ahhhh. Kant...saiiii...ehneeeeetheeeng....goood.

Ironic. You are totally missing the point of the discussion. I'm not suggesting one way or the other whether Smith will be a good QB or should or should not be on this team.

I'm suggesting that given that he has proven nothing, needs the 'live' work (having only played in 32 games in his career), and given that his thumb is fine (Smith said 'I'm ready to go' and the team conceded that he would play if this was the regular season) and given that the actual risk of reinjury is miniscule (really, what are the odds that very thumb would be hit again?) and given that with the well-documented pass blocking weaknesses of our o-line there is a VERY strong chance Smith will have to play this year...

...it is a valid question why he isn't getting that much needed playing time tonight.

Extra reps for Davis are worthless to our success or failure this year. Listen -- if we get down to him at any point this season the season is lost, and an extra quarter of play tonight won't make one bit of difference.

My post wasnt directed at YOU but ok.

Cool. I must have 'noob sensitivity'.
i swear theres more fan support for Smith than Jeff Garcia ever had... lol

Alex Smith: 1st overall pick

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating

Hill has 10starts with 7 +200 yard games, 90.5QB career rating

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

what makes me think Smith cant be a #2 guy:

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..
They want to see what Davis looks like with a weeks prep and more practice snaps! They need to see Davis in an entire game because they know Hill is not the future, they doubt Smith is the future, but they feel Davis has a chance to be the future!
Originally posted by oscarug:

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..

Is that stat true? That means Smith has 24 starts with less than +200 yards passing? Yeah, put him in, he does need the work!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
They want to see what Davis looks like with a weeks prep and more practice snaps! They need to see Davis in an entire game because they know Hill is not the future, they doubt Smith is the future, but they feel Davis has a chance to be the future!

This is the most reasonable response I've yet seen.
I continue to look at Alex differently than many of you. What you call indecision, I saw as caution and carefulness - partly stemming from his intelligence, his temperament, and perhaps from his early coaches warning him to not do anything rash. After all, Nolan believed in winning with defense, with no foolish turnovers.

He lacked confidence, which was understandable when he was thrust into the fire as a rookie with less talent surrounding him than an expansion team (as some NFL execs had declared). It is difficult to build confidence when you do not have success.

I am no expert - good football people would know better - but my impression is that Alex could blossom if he regained confidence. After all that he has gone through, this would require putting him in and leaving him in even if he struggled for awhile. It would also mean reassuring him that no one is looking over his sholder.

But with Hill and now Davis present, I do not see this ever happening. So Alex may be doomed here, and he may have to hook up with another team, and hope for the right circumstances - something that may never come.
Because if Q.B. Hill continues to suck including going into tonight's Chargers pre-season game and then can't move the team in our first regular game against the Cards, Singletary is keeping Alex healthy to take this team over.

Q.B. Hill better get going cause frankly, he has not looked impressive to date at all.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

This is the most reasonable response I've yet seen.

Thanks for noticing!
Originally posted by socal81:

[b]Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating[/b]

Is that stat true? That means Smith has 24 starts with less than +200 yards passing? Yeah, put him in, he does need the work!

Wow, I didn't know it was that few. You'd think that with 30+ starts you'd yield more than 6 games with 200 yards passing. More proof that he is no better than a 3. Like above poster said. If we brought in a legit QB to battle hill. Hill would lose. He would be the number 2. Alex would be at best a 3. He is a #2 by default and his contract status and nothing more.

Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Wow, I didn't know it was that few. You'd think that with 30+ starts you'd yield more than 6 games with 200 yards passing. More proof that he is no better than a 3. Like above poster said. If we brought in a legit QB to battle hill. Hill would lose. He would be the number 2. Alex would be at best a 3. He is a #2 by default and his contract status and nothing more.

WTF are you talking about? He's had 28 healthy starts in 5 seasons. 28. Not 40. Not "30+". 28. Healthy. Starts.

At least get your facts straight before you trash someone.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

yeah.. if we were to have signed Warner this off-season Smith would have been cut. we would have a real #1 guy in Warner, Davis developing as a #3, with Shaun Hill as a proven #2 guy.

All Alex Smith proved this preseason is that he is not better than any #2 guy hes ever competed against. Rattay, JTO and now Hill, McNolan has never signed a legit #1 to compete for the spot and its hurting our team.

its almost like the Terry Kirby/ Derick Loville competetion at HB a few years back..
both great character guys.. some had there moments here and there.. but we need our Garrison Hearst!
  • whole49yards
  • Info N/A
This is Alex's last year with the niners.

He could not win the QB battle outright and IMHO has never shone the command and composure of Nate Davis. and he is a rookie--worst than a rookie. Yea he has only played against scrubs, with scrubs but no one can deny this kid has something . Easy to see because he's not overwhelmed with playing football. He's a football player, not a great thinker and that is his great stregth.
He excells at PLAYING football- Next year this team is his!
Originally posted by whole49yards:
This is Alex's last year with the niners.

He could not win the QB battle outright and IMHO has never shone the command and composure of Nate Davis. and he is a rookie--worst than a rookie. Yea he has only played against scrubs, with scrubs but no one can deny this kid has something . Easy to see because he's not overwhelmed with playing football. He's a football player, not a great thinker and that is his great stregth.
He excells at PLAYING football- Next year this team is his!

'The Myth of the Smart Quarterback' -- I like the sound of that!
He threw 50-70 passes the other day without pain and proclaimed himself 'ready to go':

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/SPVM19GH5N.DTL

According to Maiocco, he would play 'if this was a regular season game':

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/singletary-says-only-1-or-2-jobs-on-the-line-in-finale.html

I'm sorry, but Alex Smith has absolutely NOT earned the veteran's right of taking off the entire last exhibition game. You can't tell me he doesn't need the work. And as only the backup, what real threat to the regular season opener would there be if anything more happened to the thumb (very unlikely as that actually is)?

Don't waste any more opportunties. Get his a$$ out there and get him the reps he needs to have any hope of ever becoming a successful QB.

It's his 4th year in the league, with the starting job handed to him. If he had it in him, he would have shown it by now. Not even flashes of possible greatness.
Share 49ersWebzone