There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

I think what he doesn't understand is that above describes every game we will play this year. Maybe substitute play for have.

Anyway I agree it doesn't make sEnce to sit smith if his finger is fine. Maybe Nolan told him to say he's fine. It seems like they want to get a good look at Davis

Do you live in a box?
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

I think what he doesn't understand is that above describes every game we will play this year. Maybe substitute play for have.

Anyway I agree it doesn't make sEnce to sit smith if his finger is fine. Maybe Nolan told him to say he's fine. It seems like they want to get a good look at Davis

Do you live in a box?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq8VDXlWQk
Originally posted by Xestenz:
He threw 50-70 passes the other day without pain and proclaimed himself 'ready to go':

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/SPVM19GH5N.DTL

According to Maiocco, he would play 'if this was a regular season game':

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/singletary-says-only-1-or-2-jobs-on-the-line-in-finale.html

I'm sorry, but Alex Smith has absolutely NOT earned the veteran's right of taking off the entire last exhibition game. You can't tell me he doesn't need the work. And as only the backup, what real threat to the regular season opener would there be if anything more happened to the thumb (very unlikely as that actually is)?

Don't waste any more opportunties. Get his a$$ out there and get him the reps he needs to have any hope of ever becoming a successful QB.

As they say the biggest problem in the world today is apathy, but in this case who really gives a s**t about this.
we wanna see what our future starting QB will do
That is more snaps for nate. He is going to have the chance to really show more. Id rather watch him anyway.
I dont care why. Im just excited that we get to watch more of Nate Davis.
Originally posted by DANADA:
we wanna see what our future starting QB will do

Hey! He's actually holding the ball by the laces in that picture.
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

I don't understand what you don't understand about the possible re-injury of our backup QB in a exhibition game right before the real games start.

so its ok for shaun hill to play but not alex?
Originally posted by backontop:


Where did you learn to read? The title says Why the heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Right -- you are clearly a literalist.
To be honest i think he should play but if sing doesnt want him to than oh well.
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by backontop:


Where did you learn to read? The title says Why the heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Right -- you are clearly a literalist.

No I just answered the ONLY question asked. And to answer the question that was never asked. No he shouldn't play because the coaches said "Alex you're not playing in the last preseason game"
Maybe its because he doesn't want to suck in front of his home town crowd.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Who cares, I get to see my boy Nate play 3 quarters
Originally posted by backontop:

No I just answered the ONLY question asked. And to answer the question that was never asked. No he shouldn't play because the coaches said "Alex you're not playing in the last preseason game"

No -- you actually answered a single interpretation of the question -- but we can leave both sense and connotation out of it, if that is easier.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
I'm not taking the time to read through all the "because he suxx" answers.

I'm going with because he's not been named the starter, they've already seen him play, and if they need him, they want him to be 100%.