LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

"Expert" rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by lamontb:
he said the something last year

Exactly, he was picking us to go to the playoffs and was saying that Gore would love Martz offense was going to have a great year.

I respect the guy as a football player but his analysis has not been that accurate.

I also don't see why anyone is cheering just because one guy says we are a playoff team. We have a lot of question marks..... to many to really consider ourselves a playoff team.

Poor QB, Poor Pass rush, Questionable receiving core, tough schedule and the only bright spot is a good RB.

I will be happy with .500

Think of your username minus the sarcasm.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
f**k marshall faulk

Thank you.

f**k Marshall Faulk.

If we make it awesome..but I'm not gonna suck up to this f**ker..he shredded us..and I had to watch everybody in St. Louis wear a f**king Faulk jersey everywhere they went...f**k Faulk.

Eh he's a nice guy
  • dmax
  • Veteran
umm guys..WE DONT HAVE A DEFENSIVE PASS RUSH"
  • Mex49
Originally posted by RonMexico:
f**k marshall faulk
I love Marshall, not just bc of this....but bc he is a class act (player and analyst).
Don, I couldn't have said it better myself ....oh wait I did and my thread got locked. The Smash mouth approach can only take you so far , look at pittsburgh even they had to win last year via the arm of big ben. I can only name three teams that have won superbowls with this approach since 1980 : Chicago 85 , Ny Giants 90 Baltimore 2000. In the NFL you need to score points and run the ball and play solid D.

Pre-camp ranking: 21
San Francisco 49ers
As bad as West Coast football was last season in the NFL, with only the 8-8 Chargers avoiding a losing season -- and it took them all season to get there -- it'd be great to see the 49ers return to relevancy. But I don't have my hopes much higher than 8-8 or so for Mike Singletary's team, because it's built to win low-scoring games with a sound defense and running game. That only takes you so far in today's NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/09/pre.regular.season/index.html#ixzz0QjYa2tD3
Let them play one game before getting all high and mighty about why you think the coach/system is wrong.

Watch, have hope, have fun and be a fan.
Right, we play in a division that actually has 3 starting quality QBs. We are not one of the three. Say what you will about Bulger, he has show he can ring up the points. Seattle can too. And,.......we start off the season against the Cardinals. Do you think they can ring up points in a hurray?

Our defense can't get pressure on a QB, so I guess we shouldn't worry about running a game control offense that CANNOT "score at will".

Unless they have been hiding some form of passing attack in the Preseason, I don't see us having a real good opportunity against our division rivals, much less who we play outside the conference and division.

So Banks says that we run a conservative offense. That's what I've seen and heard this preseason. Suprise, Surprise.
I hear what your saying, but this is OUR team for the year.

we're still rebuilding, so the way i see it, get behind what we have and hope for the best.

Or you could apply for a position with the niners and then we'll be all set.
meh

Oh, I will be rooting for the 49ers come hell or high water. I just don't get it when people have a problem with someone who points out the obvious. Our team this year will be built on controlling the clock. I have not heard, nor have a I seen a deep threat down the seam that usually goes with a power running attack.

I also haven't seen a defense that approaches the 90s Giants, 85 Bear or '00 Ravens, or anything that looks like it, except possible with interceptions. I hope we do have alot of takeaways, and one blessing we do have is that Mike Martz is sitting in an NFL studio instead of producing turnovers and sacks with his "wide open" offense.

Of course recently I saw someone pining for Mike Martz on this board.

49ers win, loose or draw.
Originally posted by luckofirish:
Don, I couldn't have said it better myself ....oh wait I did and my thread got locked. The Smash mouth approach can only take you so far , look at pittsburgh even they had to win last year via the arm of big ben. I can only name three teams that have won superbowls with this approach since 1980 : Chicago 85 , Ny Giants 90 Baltimore 2000. In the NFL you need to score points and run the ball and play solid D.

Pre-camp ranking: 21
San Francisco 49ers
As bad as West Coast football was last season in the NFL, with only the 8-8 Chargers avoiding a losing season -- and it took them all season to get there -- it'd be great to see the 49ers return to relevancy. But I don't have my hopes much higher than 8-8 or so for Mike Singletary's team, because it's built to win low-scoring games with a sound defense and running game. That only takes you so far in today's NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/09/pre.regular.season/index.html#ixzz0QjYa2tD3

I'd say all this bellyaching about us becoming a run only team is unfounded. Sing has said repeatedly that while he does want the offense to be able to run at will, it will not be a "three runs and a puff of smoke" type of deal.

I'd suggest you guys take a serious chill pill until the season starts. If it turns out that you're right, then by all means cry your heart out.

But whatever happened to waiting until something happens before you start complaining? Is that what we as "fans" of the 49ers have come to? Constant whining over what "could" happen?

Jesus....
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Let them play one game before getting all high and mighty about why you think the coach/system is wrong.

Watch, have hope, have fun and be a fan.

+1. This seems so much like a lost concept on the 'Zone.
I just waiting to see if there is smoke and when it clears we have a deep threat this doesn't start with the QB handing the ball off.

You can say it was only preseason, but I saw alot of deep passing and out routes by alot of other teams in the NFL. The only time I saw it for the 49ers was when Nate Davis was in.

However, I did see Shaun Hill emulating some of Al Orters greatest shotput attempts.

I guess though that they are saving that for the season. Maybe they won't even use the passing threat on the first time through the division foes, since we'll be saving it for the second meeting with Seattle, Arizona and the Rams.

Also, we better see alot of zone blitzing on Sunday because they did a very good job of disguising our pass rush during the preseason.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I just waiting to see if there is smoke and when it clears we have a deep threat this doesn't start with the QB handing the ball off.

You can say it was only preseason, but I saw alot of deep passing and out routes by alot of other teams in the NFL. The only time I saw it for the 49ers was when Nate Davis was in.

However, I did see Shaun Hill emulating some of Al Orters greatest shotput attempts.

I guess though that they are saving that for the season. Maybe they won't even use the passing threat on the first time through the division foes, since we'll be saving it for the second meeting with Seattle, Arizona and the Rams.

Also, we better see alot of zone blitzing on Sunday because they did a very good job of disguising our pass rush during the preseason.

It's funny because if you look around the NFL, Shaun Hill is far from the only QB having a bad preseason. Kurt Warner & Tom Brady come to mind. And while even at his best, Hill isn't nearly as good as either, don't lose sight of the fact that he does WIN US GAMES which to me, is always the most important stat.

Honestly I do think our passing game will struggle at times, but it will be much better than what was shown in the preseason. We already know what our ground game and defense can do -- we'll be fine

We very well may not be an elite team yet, but I don't think we're half as bad as people are making it out to be.
Share 49ersWebzone