LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

We have the same exact squad as last year! add cofee minus DeShaun Foster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dre Bly doesn't count ?
Same team different coach.
Originally posted by NickV:

We also don't have this guy throwing the game away against the Giants, Eagles and Saints.

That guy has looked GREAT for the Bengals! Maybe it wasn't him? maybe it was Martz.
I blame everything on Alex Smith. The guy is a bust. Yep. That's why we need Shaun "The Second Coming of Joe Montana" Hill in there. That guy is a gamer. All he does is complete passes and win games. Look at the surgery he did to the Cowboys D. . . .
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I been saying this since May. I think most believe that getting rid of Nolan makes the team better. I think it makes them marginally better but it all comes down to players and the Niners didn't improve there players. I can still see them winning 1 or 2 more games than they did last year, but 10-6. or 11-5 isn't happening til they upgrade the roster.

I've been saying this since may too! But Marvel smith and no Nolan = playoffs
Originally posted by Squirrel:
I blame everything on Alex Smith. The guy is a bust. Yep. That's why we need Shaun "The Second Coming of Joe Montana" Hill in there. That guy is a gamer. All he does is complete passes and win games. Look at the surgery he did to the Cowboys D. . . .

He gets my game ball...
Originally posted by krizay:
I been saying this since May. I think most believe that getting rid of Nolan makes the team better. I think it makes them marginally better but it all comes down to players and the Niners didn't improve there players. I can still see them winning 1 or 2 more games than they did last year, but 10-6. or 11-5 isn't happening til they upgrade the roster.

I've been saying this since may too! But Marvel smith and no Nolan = playoffs

Marvel retired lol
Originally posted by glorydayz:
With Crabtree holding out and B. Jones hurt we have pretty much the same unit except for Spurlock! The O-line is the same group! DB's are the same minus Walt & Roman! Same LBer's, added a ILB (Mckillop). Same D-line added Evans. Same QB's different 3rd & 4th (Huard & Davis).

So why would we expect different results with the same players and two new coaches?
We do look better but when it is all said and done we have the same team! Wonder if SM really believes in our guys or if we are just being cheap again?

Your thoughts?

i agree with you, and i would like to say that coaching (raye) and playcalling will improve our team chances of winning-based on tailoring those calls to our strengths, but really! what we think is a strong run game has yet to really be proven. teams WILL stack the box. until hill can prove to take advantage of that, we cannot really "open" up the passing part of the playbook.

i mean, raye and sing both said this team cornerstone will be the run game-"the rock and 21!". if that is the case, what kinda confidence is that in our passing game?

defensively, i say we traded in the trouble of "lack of speed" in roman for an aggressive playmaker with no full time experience in goldson. our d-line is still anemic when it comes to pressure and sacks. nothing really changed there. manusky can only do so much. sure, play a simplified defense and let players concentrate on assignment, but it is only a matter of time before a smart offensive coordinator will expose that and take advantage.

same team, maybe same results-if we don't catch a break here and there. but i'll stay positive and hope we could end the season 9-7.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
With Crabtree holding out and B. Jones hurt we have pretty much the same unit except for Spurlock! The O-line is the same group! DB's are the same minus Walt & Roman! Same LBer's, added a ILB (Mckillop). Same D-line added Evans. Same QB's different 3rd & 4th (Huard & Davis).

So why would we expect different results with the same players and two new coaches?
We do look better but when it is all said and done we have the same team! Wonder if SM really believes in our guys or if we are just being cheap again?

Your thoughts?

There wasn't really much to aquire during the offseason for the 49ers, except Housh and Haynesworth. Those two wern't coming here for sure.

So we had to look at the draft for upgrading the team.

This isn't Madden

8-8 or 9-7

for what its worth....

we are returning 5 starters on the o-line which is a good thing usually. that consistency should really help the o-line play.

our qb situation is way ahead of where it was last year. though who knows what that really amounts to or means.

our rb situation is infinitely better with the addition of norris, coffee, sheets, and rathman.

our te/wr sitch is more or less the same. partly due to qbs, partly due to sullivan (see that other thread to argue), partly due to not having crabs in, and otherwise brandon jones being injured (yet again as his career proves).

the offense looks better to me because we improved in the areas that Coach Sing stresses - the run. really also the playcaller is a wash at this point. cause i didnt like some of the play calls against dallas (ok yeah preseason and all with no game planning & vanilla) but still those 3 taser plays we could have kneeled the ball and done the same damage.

def is better in my mind. mostly due to sticking with 1 scheme, putting players in their best position, and the FA signings. also this was the strength of the team last year and we didnt have that much turnover that was not adequately replaced.

so bottom line....do we get better....i say we might see a 2 game improvement. maybe.

unless shaun hill or alex smith or nate davis becomes a real qb. in which case SUPERBOWL BABY........
Yes you are correct we have the same team, but i think of all the major sports the one where the coach makes the biggest difference is football plus:

We are running a system that fits our players (that cannot be overlooked)
Shaun is starting from the very beggining (that is huge with timing, knowing of the playbook, confidence etc etc)
Our Def players will start the season off and running and healthy.
We have a better wr core, and Vernon will be used as a TE.

Add a couple of better in game calls and all these things together can be the difference between 7-9 or 10-6
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by NickV:

We also don't have this guy throwing the game away against the Giants, Eagles and Saints.

That guy has looked GREAT for the Bengals! Maybe it wasn't him? maybe it was Martz.

Yeah he looked great FUMBLING the ball. He has absolutley no feel for the rush from the blind side. Even Alex Smith has a better feel for that.
who are we kidding? We're running the football and everyone knows we're running the football
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Nolan is gone
Not the same
/thread

Share 49ersWebzone