LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

We have the same exact squad as last year! add cofee minus DeShaun Foster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With Crabtree holding out and B. Jones hurt we have pretty much the same unit except for Spurlock! The O-line is the same group! DB's are the same minus Walt & Roman! Same LBer's, added a ILB (Mckillop). Same D-line added Evans. Same QB's different 3rd & 4th (Huard & Davis).

So why would we expect different results with the same players and two new coaches?
We do look better but when it is all said and done we have the same team! Wonder if SM really believes in our guys or if we are just being cheap again?

Your thoughts?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
With Crabtree holding out and B. Jones hurt we have pretty much the same unit except for Spurlock! The O-line is the same group! DB's are the same minus Walt & Roman! Same LBer's, added a ILB (Mckillop). Same D-line added Evans. Same QB's different 3rd & 4th (Huard & Davis).

So why would we expect different results with the same players and two new coaches?
We do look better but when it is all said and done we have the same team! Wonder if SM really believes in our guys or if we are just being cheap again?

Your thoughts?

well with this same team Sing had us at 5-4 which is a winning record so i expect more of the same from this team since it is the same
I been saying this since May. I think most believe that getting rid of Nolan makes the team better. I think it makes them marginally better but it all comes down to players and the Niners didn't improve there players. I can still see them winning 1 or 2 more games than they did last year, but 10-6. or 11-5 isn't happening til they upgrade the roster.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Your thoughts?

well with this same team Sing had us at 5-4 which is a winning record so i expect more of the same from this team since it is the same

I sure hope you are right!
players can get better

better plays can be called

those 2 things can lead to a better team
Originally posted by RonMexico:
players can get better

So you are saying that are QB's & D-linemen just need a bit more coaching and better play calling?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
players can get better

So you are saying that are QB's & D-linemen just need a bit more coaching and better play calling?
I'm HOPING those things help them lol and I'm HOPING we have better coaching and play calling

we will see soon

[ Edited by RonMexico on Sep 1, 2009 at 12:46:11 ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Nolan is gone
Not the same
/thread
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Your thoughts?

How its different:

1. No Nolan and Singletary from the beginning: A number of the team's recent woes were blamed on Nolan. At some level, those concerns were verified by Singletary getting better results while taking over on the fly in the middle of the season. This year, Singletary got a full off-season and TC to put his program in.

2. No more "hybrid": With Nolan gone, so is the 3-4/4-3 hybrid that Nolan liked with the true 3-4 replacing it under Manusky. Over the 2nd half of the season last year, the defense improved from the mid-20's to 13th overall, again giving some credence to perhaps the players were not being used in the best way by Nolan.

3. No JTO: After Game 3 last year, JTO slowly imploded and the team got better when Hill took over. Hill is the starter from the beginning and has a better track record at this point that JTO had last year at this time. Obviously, you have to believe Hill is for real and not a function of a late season surge against bad teams to really see this as a vast improvement.

4. New Offense: While Martz's offense helped in terms of overall points and yards, it also hurt in terms of turnovers, sacks and time of possession. The premise of hiring Raye was that his offense fit the 49ers' pieces better and all things considered the offense would be better as a run first offense featuring Gore at RB instead of a lot of 4 and 5 receiver patterns with minimal protection for the QB.

There are other differences but you get the idea....
  • NickV
  • Veteran

We also don't have this guy throwing the game away against the Giants, Eagles and Saints.

So, you're saying that some semblance of continuity is a bad thing?

Since I have become the king of doom in another thread, and just basing this on your header, that is a major positive change. Coffee is so much better than Foster.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

When you are getting pushed around in the trenches and have a below .500 winning percentage for more than 5 years in a row, yes continuity is a bad thing!
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

When you are getting pushed around in the trenches and have a below .500 winning percentage for more than 5 years in a row, yes continuity is a bad thing!

Well, we do have a few new coaches. We'll have to wait and see what happens, I guess. If they suck, I may have to agree with you.

The players we did add, I like... but it takes years for a draft to pan out, so...

Originally posted by kem99:

Your thoughts?

How its different:

1. No Nolan and Singletary from the beginning: A number of the team's recent woes were blamed on Nolan. At some level, those concerns were verified by Singletary getting better results while taking over on the fly in the middle of the season. This year, Singletary got a full off-season and TC to put his program in.

2. No more "hybrid": With Nolan gone, so is the 3-4/4-3 hybrid that Nolan liked with the true 3-4 replacing it under Manusky. Over the 2nd half of the season last year, the defense improved from the mid-20's to 13th overall, again giving some credence to perhaps the players were not being used in the best way by Nolan.

3. No JTO: After Game 3 last year, JTO slowly imploded and the team got better when Hill took over. Hill is the starter from the beginning and has a better track record at this point that JTO had last year at this time. Obviously, you have to believe Hill is for real and not a function of a late season surge against bad teams to really see this as a vast improvement.

4. New Offense: While Martz's offense helped in terms of overall points and yards, it also hurt in terms of turnovers, sacks and time of possession. The premise of hiring Raye was that his offense fit the 49ers' pieces better and all things considered the offense would be better as a run first offense featuring Gore at RB instead of a lot of 4 and 5 receiver patterns with minimal protection for the QB.

There are other differences but you get the idea....

Share 49ersWebzone