LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

Jerry Sullivan (WR Coach)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Why hasn't this guy taken any heat?? I thought this guy was a WR guru?? We haven't had a wideout sniff a thousand yards since he's come aboard. Player development is a huge problem for the 9ers. WR's development has been horrible! What's the deal?

how can any WR get 1000 yards with the crap we have from OC to QB to OL ! f**k man think !

No Sh*t. Didn't he come on board the same time Alex Smith did?
Originally posted by tohara3:
I would really like to see us give Jerry Rice a shot! Our recievers just never seem to get any better.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Rice atleast assist in WR development...

I think that we need to see if Rice is willing to play. Screw "WR development", Rice did that best as a player. Remember how bad Seattle's WRs' were for drops before RIce played for them? They bring him in and BAM none of those fools could drop em if we PAID them to.

And then DJack comes here and the drops come with him.

And Sullivan SERIOUSLY has to go. My passed away Granma could have done better imho.

Seriously.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by cNiner:
Why hasn't this guy taken any heat?? I thought this guy was a WR guru?? We haven't had a wideout sniff a thousand yards since he's come aboard. Player development is a huge problem for the 9ers. WR's development has been horrible! What's the deal?

how can any WR get 1000 yards with the crap we have from OC to QB to OL ! f**k man think !

I'll give you that, especially since I'm really miffed at how bad the Line has become over the last 7 years. But you CANNOT say that the WRs' have not had their chances to make a difference on game day. I've seen WAY too many dropped passes over the last 3 years.

My HS coach used to say "If it hits you in the mitts you better catch the F'N thing or you WON'T be playing next week, I don't care how good you look in practice", it's something that I took very much to heart and I have to say I dropped very few passes when I could get my grubby paws on them. But I'm not built that big in stature. I'm your basic Wayne Chrebet type.

Personally I think that this is lost in the Pros today. And especially on this team. Which is why I'll stand up for Battle. When he's on he gives EVERYTHING on the field.

~Ceadder
hill has the suxors
I believe that Sullivan has to go after this year. I have kept an eye on the WR group for the last three seasons and I have seen very little improvement. We can talk all we want about the lack of talent at the QB position and the OL but fact of the matter is that the recievers take far to long to get open. Their routes take to long to develop and they very rarely adjust to what the opposing defenses are giving them so they can find hole in the secondary to get open. Now we are starting to see that Josh Morgan and Jason Hill have taken a step back this year so now we have to rely on veteran receivers such as Bruce and Battle. Funny how these two guys learned their technics from someone not named Sullivan while the younger guys are struggling with the only WR coach they have known since joining the NFL. Sorry Sullivan but it is your time to go!
As the poster above mentioned our WR's particularly Morgan and Hill look like they've taken a step backwards. Nolan seemed to have a lot of sacred cows and Sully was one of them. Nolan is gone now and I think it's time for Sully to be gone too.

We had an opportunity to bring Rice back in 05 and Einstein took a pass and brought in Hall of Famer shoe-in, Johnny Morton to mentor our WR's. Brilliant. That should have been the red flag seen around the world for all 9er fans. Did they feel threatened?

I'm willing to allow the WR's some time for the effects of 2 a days to wear off and get their legs back but at some point Sully needs to be accountable for lack of separation stone hands and sloppy route running.
  • Mex49
I would really like to see us give Jerry Rice a shot! Our recievers just never seem to get any better.

Grow up
Originally posted by Mex49:

Grow up

I was saying we should give Rice a shot to be WR coach. It really can't be any worse than what Sullivan has been doing.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by geturembedder:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Give him a break he hasnt been given any talent. Look at guys that have started for the 49ers and gone elsewhere...barely crack the depth chart. He has work to do with Morgan but there are no other young guys to work with.

I will not give the guy a break when he started Taylor Jacobs and Bryan Gilmore over a perfectly healthy Ashley Lelie. He definitely plays favorites, and none of his favorites have gone on to produce. Sullivan needs to go.

WR coaches are now setting starting lineups?

Regardless GUE, Those players were able to run their routes precisely whereas Lelie could not thus why they saw the field ahead of him. He is a stickler for detail like many coaches can be. It's up to the players to put in time and effort into mastering the routes which Lelie struggled to so since he spent so much time nursing injuries.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by geturembedder:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Give him a break he hasnt been given any talent. Look at guys that have started for the 49ers and gone elsewhere...barely crack the depth chart. He has work to do with Morgan but there are no other young guys to work with.

I will not give the guy a break when he started Taylor Jacobs and Bryan Gilmore over a perfectly healthy Ashley Lelie. He definitely plays favorites, and none of his favorites have gone on to produce. Sullivan needs to go.

WR coaches are now setting starting lineups?

Regardless GUE, Those players were able to run their routes precisely whereas Lelie could not thus why they saw the field ahead of him. He is a stickler for detail like many coaches can be. It's up to the players to put in time and effort into mastering the routes which Lelie struggled to so since he spent so much time nursing injuries.

If he's such a stickler for detail then shouldn't the players be excelling by now?? Rice was a stickler for details, knowing foot count, when to cut on all his routes, and he turned out to be the greatest of all time. Sullivan just isn't cutting it.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Dude sucks, I've said it before and I will repeat it Dude sucks! Couldn't get it done in Phoenix with Bolden and Fitzgerald, and has failed to develop talent here!

This dude does not suck, he is a great WR's coach. The problem lies with the talent or lack thereof he has been given to work with.

Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Brandon Williams
Jason Hill
Josh Morgan

Look at the list...only 2 are still with us the other 3 are either out of the league or desperately trying to make a roster. But Sully is the problem right ?

Should we bring up the list of WR's we brought in via FA ? That list is quite pathetic looking.

Good thing we have had good QB play as well to help get the ball to the WR's...oh wait we haven't.

In Arizona he spent 1 year with Anquan Boldin (rookie season) and Sully was the OC not WR's coach however Boldin did finish with 101 catches for 1300+ yards. Boldin himself credits both Sully for his rookie year, and Sully was very adamant that the Cards draft Boldin despite his 4.7 40 time as he saw something special there.

FTR He never even worked with Fitz in AZ yet you call him a failure for that. Good job knowing what your talking about.

The following have all been PB's under Sully's tutelage : Anthony Miller, Tony Martin, Herman Moore, Germaine Crowell, David Boston and Q.

It's obvious you know nothing about Sully or his credentials and are looking at the results without looking at the variables involved to get those results.
Dude sucks, I've said it before and I will repeat it Dude sucks! Couldn't get it done in Phoenix with Bolden and Fitzgerald, and has failed to develop talent here!

This dude does not suck, he is a great WR's coach. The problem lies with the talent or lack thereof he has been given to work with.

Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Brandon Williams
Jason Hill
Josh Morgan

Look at the list...only 2 are still with us the other 3 are either out of the league or desperately trying to make a roster. But Sully is the problem right ?

Should we bring up the list of WR's we brought in via FA ? That list is quite pathetic looking.

Good thing we have had good QB play as well to help get the ball to the WR's...oh wait we haven't.

In Arizona he spent 1 year with Anquan Boldin (rookie season) and Sully was the OC not WR's coach however Boldin did finish with 101 catches for 1300+ yards. Boldin himself credits both Sully for his rookie year, and Sully was very adamant that the Cards draft Boldin despite his 4.7 40 time as he saw something special there.

FTR He never even worked with Fitz in AZ yet you call him a failure for that. Good job knowing what your talking about.

The following have all been PB's under Sully's tutelage : Anthony Miller, Tony Martin, Herman Moore, Germaine Crowell, David Boston and Q.

It's obvious you know nothing about Sully or his credentials and are looking at the results without looking at the variables involved to get those results.

Soo what you're saying is he needs top notch talent to develop a WR?? If you're in the NFL you have talent that many people do not have, and hopefully with the proper conditions and coaching you should be able to succeed. Jason Hill and Josh Morgan have the physical talents to excell, they just arn't. Partially of this is due to Sullivan's greeeat coaching....

Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Brandon Williams
Jason Hill
Josh Morgan

I just came

Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Brandon Williams
Jason Hill
Josh Morgan

Blah blah, we've all heard his credentials. They don't add up to dogsh$t. The past five years, we've gotten no results from our wide receivers. When he plays favorites to Bryan Gilmore and Taylor Jacobs while Baltimore's coaches plan to defend against Lelie who was on the bench all game...how do you explain that?

With Nolan, it seemed like Sullivan was the one setting the depth chart. Sometimes you need a change in philosophy and technique to make waves. Sullivan is not getting results, and I don't see how we can get any worse at receiver, so...we need a change.
I was a huge fan of sullivan, however I know realize that I was such a fan because Boldin seemingly came out of nowhere in his rookie season and I personally gave Sullivan too much credit for Boldins rookie production and not enough credit to Boldins skill.
Share 49ersWebzone