There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
You know how we all say we need a mix of Alex Smth and Shuan Hill?

Aaron Rodgers

There's just one problem. The Aaron Rodgers that the Packers got would be different then the Aaron Rodgers we would have gotten.

The 49ers as an organization were in no position to develop a rookie QB. They didn't have the coaching staff in place for it (Hostler as QB coach, a HC who had no clue how an offense works or what philosophy he wanted to run, etc).

The Aaron Rodgers we would have gotten would have fared no better then Smith.

Yes but we would still have an Aaron Rodgers with a quick release and strong arm, which is much better than what we have had.

What we would have is a QB who, much like David Carr, wouldn't have lived up to his draft status.
I am afraid we have a more underlying concern. The OL will keep any of our QBs from performing at a high level. The OL is still only as strong as its weakest link, and we have one or more weak links. The Marvel Smith gambit was a fizzle, and Snyder has a history of getting hurt and allowing sacks. McLoughen has had five years to build a solid OL, and he has failed. This failure will limit our QB performance, and will eventually lead to them getting hurt. Remember 2007, when by the end of the year we were starting our 4th QB?

So it doesn't matter, whoever starts will play poorly, then will get hurt. Thus, under the circumstances, I think the proper question is: since we need to keep 5 QBs on the roster, who should be our 5th QB?
It all goes back to the plan of getting two 1st round picks for next year. I believe the Niners ultimate plan is to have some patch work this year at QB, then select either Bradford, McCoy, or Snead next year. This organization doesnt seem sold on any of these QB's...as evident by the 'open' competition, and refusing to name Hill the starter from day one.
as much as we all look at other QBs around the league, and are impressed with many of them, alot of OTHER fans that look at SF are actually impressed with Shaun Hill and think he can play.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
as much as we all look at other QBs around the league, and are impressed with many of them, alot of OTHER fans that look at SF are actually impressed with Shaun Hill and think he can play.

I think your friends are being sarcastic.
Originally posted by southpaw854:
It all goes back to the plan of getting two 1st round picks for next year. I believe the Niners ultimate plan is to have some patch work this year at QB, then select either Bradford, McCoy, or Snead next year. This organization doesnt seem sold on any of these QB's...as evident by the 'open' competition, and refusing to name Hill the starter from day one.

That's why I'm hoping Davis pans out (or Smith figures it out, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen).

Those two picks could come in real handy for fixing the defense. I really don't want to see them get blown on trying to fix the QB position yet again.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
For people who are saying Nate Davis should start or should be our backup at 2nd string you have to remember he's going against 3rd stringers. He can be a starter in our future but now hes no where close to being ready to start.

And I dont think Shaun Hill should be our starter yet. I dont think he outplayed Alex Smith in the preseason, Smith threw good passes, made smart decisions, and improved on his pocket presence. His numbers looked back in the second game but it really wasnt his fault. His numbers say 3/9 and a pick. Our receivers dropped 2 balls and one was the INT. People are saying he could of threw it better but if he tried to throw it in his numbers it wouldve been intercepted by the guy in front of morgan, Morgan had to catch that ball. He also threw away 2 passes (out of bounds) when he was under pressure.
Shaun Hill was very unaccerate in last weeks and yesterdays game.
Im not saying Alex Smith should be the starter, but I'm saying Shaun Hill didn't outplay Alex Smith...at all.
Free Alex!!
Hill or Smith.

However, I don't think it really matters until our OL and RB's improve their pass protection. We were starting a third string RT yesterday (Snyder was out, and Smith looks to be retired), Chilo struggled at both run and pass blocking, Ware collapsed the pocket way too often against Staley, and both Coffee and Robinson were destroyed by Spencer in one-on-one blocking matchups.

The team has to regroup, and figure out how to protect the edges, or good pass rushing teams are going to whack us all year.

So, to me, it doesn't matter who we have at QB right now.

P.S. As for Davis, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that 75% of the board will demand that Davis starts right away. I thought he looked very good at times yesterday, and at other times, looked like a rookie. He's still got a long ways to go, and playing against first stringers like Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Newman, and others is quite different than against many who will not be in the league in two weeks.

However, two good back-to-back games is never a bad thing.

One final note: There is a fine line between hero and goat as an NFL QB. If that Brown kid picks Davis near the goal line on the last drive, the movement to elevate Davis by many on the board would take a big hit. Instead of winning the game, he would have lost the game. The Cowboys kick the field goal, and win. Or, on the next play, if Brown is listening only ten feet away from the Cowboys' sideline, as they were screaming "Pass" on the pass interference penalty.

So, while Davis has surely outperformed expectations as a rookie against backups the past two weeks, he's still a long way off. I hope that board delirium does not go out of control this week.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
For people who are saying Nate Davis should start or should be our backup at 2nd string you have to remember he's going against 3rd stringers. He can be a starter in our future but now hes no where close to being ready to start.

And I dont think Shaun Hill should be our starter yet. I dont think he outplayed Alex Smith in the preseason, Smith threw good passes, made smart decisions, and improved on his pocket presence. His numbers looked back in the second game but it really wasnt his fault. His numbers say 3/9 and a pick. Our receivers dropped 2 balls and one was the INT. People are saying he could of threw it better but if he tried to throw it in his numbers it wouldve been intercepted by the guy in front of morgan, Morgan had to catch that ball. He also threw away 2 passes (out of bounds) when he was under pressure.
Im not saying Alex Smith should be the starter, but I'm saying Shaun Hill didn't outplay Alex Smith...at all.

Thank you. Here's a picture of that pass to Morgan

If Hill throws that ball, people would be saying that Morgan should have caught it, Smith throws it, its on him.
[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM ]
Hill deserves to start, to start with, but it is silly to say he will stay as a starter.

Sing said he would start, but he will sit him for Smith if the ball sails or he can't escape sacks. Some say Smith sucks, so we will see if Sing sees something special so he can stay with him.

In the end this seer says Davis the dislectic (sp) simply snares the starter job as he is simply superior and this will happen soon after the season starts (or later).
Hill is good enough to win on a run-heavy team.

Smith isn't good enough to win on a pop warner team.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Hill deserves to start, to start with, but it is silly to say he will stay as a starter.

Sing said he would start, but he will sit him for Smith if the ball sails or he can't escape sacks. Some say Smith sucks, so we will see if Sing sees something special so he can stay with him.

In the end this seer says Davis the dislectic (sp) simply snares the starter job as he is simply superior and this will happen soon after the season starts (or later).

Exactly, that's something a lot people are failing to understand.

Hill deserves the starting job based on what he did last season, but what he did last season doesn't guarantee it to him.

If Hill comes out and plays like crap and we start the season 0-2, he will get benched. That will put us 2 games down in a division race where every game counts. His 7-3 record the past two seasons will mean nothing at that point.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think the play calling has been very conservative. If Sing wanted a Norv Turner like offense then he forgot that Norv uses the rund to set up a chance to go deep. Remember Jimmy Raye is a first time OC and that he is either very conservative or he is not showing everything.

Hill played well in Hostler and Martz offense so if Raye lets him take some shots than we see his best. Also Morgan and Jason Hill are very good on the 15 yd or more pass plays and that is why they are not seen much
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Thank you. Here's a picture of that pass to Morgan

If Hill throws that ball, people would be saying that Morgan should have caught it, Smith throws it, its on him.

You weren't lying about PICTURE, were you.

I'm hearing some arguments about Hill not practicing well or playing preseason games well, but you have to ask your self, why is that? If he can play regular season game decently, it SHOULD stand to reason that he should practice and play preseason games equally well.

I know we like to say it's only season, but I'm very concerned about our prospects this coming season. If our team doesn't pull their heads out of their asses very soon, we will have a very long season.