LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Dallas is touted to be one of the better teams in the league along with the Patriots, Colts, Giants, Eagles and Chargers. Did we really expect Hill and company to go into Dallas and tear them up?

Maybe someone failed to see that the OFFENSIVE line wasn't giving Hill much protection! Inspite of that, they were only 7 points down at the end of the 1st half!

Davis looks very good, but let's not lose the fact that he played against the 2nd and 3rd strigers. So don't jump into the conclusion that he would have fared better against the Cowboys 1st team.

Too many people here give up too soon. Gore has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Hill has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Maybe if Joe Nedney would have missed that 1st half field goal, peeps here would be calling for his head too!

Sheesh!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Dallas is touted to be one of the better teams in the league along with the Patriots, Colts, Giants, Eagles and Chargers. Did we really expect Hill and company to go into Dallas and tear them up?

Maybe someone failed to see that the OFFENSIVE line wasn't giving Hill much protection! Inspite of that, they were only 7 points down at the end of the 1st half!

Davis looks very good, but let's not lose the fact that he played against the 2nd and 3rd strigers. So don't jump into the conclusion that he would have fared better against the Cowboys 1st team.

Too many people here give up too soon. Gore has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Hill has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced.

Sheesh!

And if the o-line fails to block for Smith, its his fault. If Smith throws a bad pass due to a defender in his face, its his fault.

However, if those exact same things happen to Hill, he gets a pass. That's BS.

You're doing the exact same thing you accuse Smith supports of doing, making excuses.

Also, Hill didn't light up Denver (granted he only had one drive, but he still only got a FG), he didn't light up Oakland (again, only getting a FG).
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!
And what if they put in Davis next week and the Chargers tear him up? Will you be calling for his head as well?

Maybe they should replace the ENTIRE team if they do lousy next week?

Too many people here give up too soon. Gore has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Hill has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Maybe if Joe Nedney would have missed that 1st half field goal, peeps here would be calling for his head too!

Sheesh!

Here we go with the Hillusions

• rob28
  • Veteran
it doesnt matter who starts at this point. a losing season and top 10 draft pick is just about guaranteed
Originally posted by linkboy:

Too many people here give up too soon. Gore has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced. Hill has a bad day and he's ready to be replaced.

Sheesh!

And if the o-line fails to block for Smith, its his fault. If Smith throws a bad pass due to a defender in his face, its his fault.

However, if those exact same things happen to Hill, he gets a pass. That's BS.

You're doing the exact same thing you accuse Smith supports of doing, making excuses.

Also, Hill didn't light up Denver (granted he only had one drive, but he still only got a FG), he didn't light up Oakland (again, only getting a FG).

This...

Gotta keep the excuses fair for all... goose + gander, ladies and gents.
  • schoolyard
  • Info N/A
If the pass blocking isn't any better soon it wont matter who is the qb.Run blocking is good but the protection is poor at best and has been for a couple of years.Also did anyone else notice that Hill throws with his arm only,no legs at all,hard to get alot on the ball with no legs,I am somewhat worried.
I think what is lost in the glowing anticipation of the new season is reality. Hill is not a top flight qb and never has been. The team, while improved, is not yet close to super bowl caliber, and only playoff capable due to the weakness of our division. We have lots of holes yet to fill,and things like Smith's retirement and crab's holdout don't help our cause. I think we will be more competitive that at any point in the last 6 years, but that will get us another 7-9, maybe 8-8 season.
Good thing we're 3-0 and not 0-3.

Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

We're 3-0 in games that don't count, real reassuring.
Unless we can find a better QB on the waiver wire, cuase Davis isn't ready and Smith and Huard SUCK!, Give Hill a shot once the season starts, I have a feeling he will do until Davis is ready, or we draft Bradford.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

i would say we are 2-1 cause cowboys starters> niners starters in that last game
He didn't get very many reps this past week, so I'm willing to chalk that one up to the lingering effect of his bad back. Nonetheless, he's going to have to step it up because so far he's been really underwhelming.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

what rank was the Redskin's defense last year?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

ummmm....it is telling me they were ranked #4 in all the NFL.

also the Bills, Dolphins, Jets were ranked 14,15,16.

and I'm sure their ranks wouldn't have been better if they didn't have to play the Patriots 2 times that year.

really i still see them at the bottom?

what are you looking at herse a cut and paste

24 Washington Redskins 3 21 63 191 338.3 5.3 17.3 17 45 38 1 3 33 29 241 29:05 6 2

that's for the 2009 preseason stats

go to the top of the page and change it to 2008 regular season

google bars a b***h! but yeah you got me.... but that doesn't change the fact he has played like s**t this year. and that maybe 14th ranked d is the best defense hes won against. regaurdless its sing and the d that turned around our team last year with a hint of hill!

Calm down, it was Preseason. Sure he wasn't playing lights out this PRESEASON, but lets not jump to conclusion because of it. Lets come back to this, when we actually game plan for a team, have all our starters on the field at once, let our starting offense get into some type of rhythm with 4 quarters. Lets also throw that silly ass wildcat offense out the window, every time we ran those formations we come up dry.

BTW how the heck was Hill supposed to pass with blocking like that, Coffee whiffed on two blocks tonight that led to strong pressure up the middle and from the r-side.

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone