Should Hill Really be our starter?

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

UGH...I hate those damn gimmick plays. Also, I do not think Smith is great, but he does do a better job of throwing to the wide outs. He has looked as good as Hill, at least he is getting the ball to the receivers hands. I wish there were some way to merge our two QB's into one player, I think that player would be what we need. I do not understand how Hill could be so accurate last year and suddenly inaccurate this year. My point is that they should all be measured by the same yardstick, if something is wrong when Smith does it, is it not wrong when Hill does it just because they are different players?
Wow, we are two weeks away from the season and only 28% suppport for our starting QB because he had a mediocre half of football...

I am not sure how much football you all watch, but how many games are won in the first half?..... almost none! Unless the game becomes a blowout, no way is the first half anything more than position scoring...

He did not look great, even decent would be pushing it. He misconnected on some throws that should have been there, but to lose sooo much support over 30 minutes of football... wow... im speechless...
Originally posted by linkboy:

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

did you watch the game yesterday? or again today?

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

So Hill converted 6 first downs by passing the ball.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Wow, we are two weeks away from the season and only 28% suppport for our starting QB because he had a mediocre half of football...

I am not sure how much football you all watch, but how many games are won in the first half?..... almost none! Unless the game becomes a blowout, no way is the first half anything more than position scoring...

He did not look great, even decent would be pushing it. He misconnected on some throws that should have been there, but to lose sooo much support over 30 minutes of football... wow... im speechless...

wait till the regular season starts...it gets worse my friend. Much much worse

It wasn't a mediocre half of football, he's had a mediocre preseason. He's the only QB on the roster not to throw a TD pass. He's had problems with accuracy all preseason. He's held onto the ball and taken some sacks that he shouldn't have. People have been harping on Smith during the preseason for his lack of accuracy, the fact that his TD was from the 3, and that he's taken sacks as well, but they're giving Hill a pass (like you are) for doing the exact same thing. That's BS.

Oh and the part that I bolded makes no sense. Football is a 60-minute game (minus TV timeouts and commercials). Every single point counts, regardless of when its scored.

One more time...this!

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).

can I ask you.....you say that we were moving the ball due to the running game...and the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, "everything went to crap"....

Hill went 9/17....so he completed 9 passes...... out of those 9 passes, 6 of them got us 1st downs.

look, again...this is just preseason, so what ever.....but I think that when we have Gore back there to help pass protect....I think we will do better when ever we do pass the ball.

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

It wasn't a mediocre half of football, he's had a mediocre preseason. He's the only QB on the roster not to throw a TD pass. He's had problems with accuracy all preseason. He's held onto the ball and taken some sacks that he shouldn't have. People have been harping on Smith during the preseason for his lack of accuracy, the fact that his TD was from the 3, and that he's taken sacks as well, but they're giving Hill a pass (like you are) for doing the exact same thing. That's BS.

Oh and the part that I bolded makes no sense. Football is a 60-minute game (minus TV timeouts and commercials). Every single point counts, regardless of when its scored.

Hill has not looked too hot, I said that, therefore I was not giving him a pass... By the way, name one game that was one in the first half last year? let's go just with the niners... the only one that comes to mind is the Rams game... I know there is 60 minutes of football, but the first half doesn't really mean that much, it is more of foreplay, while the third and fourth quarters are what matters... It is not like it was a blowout after the first half either...

1 h alf?its been throughout the whole preseason where the hell have you been

Hill has not looked too hot, I said that, therefore I was not giving him a pass... By the way, name one game that was one in the first half last year? let's go just with the niners... the only one that comes to mind is the Rams game... I know there is 60 minutes of football, but the first half doesn't really mean that much, it is more of foreplay, while the third and fourth quarters are what matters... It is not like it was a blowout after the first half either...

The first and second quarter mean a lot, if you score a lot of points and make the second half meaningless. To say that the first half doesn't mean much is silly. It's always a tale of two halves, quote the cliche.

One more time...this!

First downs mean jack squat if you fail to score points. I don't care if he throws for 6 first downs on one drive, if the drive stalls and you get no points, its a failed drive.

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

Every minute of every football game matters because they have a direct impact on each other.

You can't say that one half is more important then the other, its totally pointless.

Also, I wasn't talking about you in regards to giving Hill a pass, that was just thrown out in general to prove a point.

One more time...this!

do you know why our drives stalled? let me know why each of our drives stalled when he was the QB....look into it and get back to me.....if not then I'm just wasting my time with you.

first you say we drove the ball because of our running game and when ever Hill threw the ball "everything went to crap"....but now your changing what you're saying....so which is it?

3 of the drives ended on stupid Wildcat calls, the drive after Roman's pick Hill was horrible (that pass to Bruce was terrible)

However, his drives have been stalling all preseason, not just last night. He's only been able to deliver FGs. You're not going to win very many games by just scoring FGs.

That's the issue I'm having with Hill this year. He moves the ball down the field and stalls inside the 30 and has to settle for a FG.

[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 30, 2009 at 20:49:21 ]
I wish the regular season would hurry up and get here, so we can have an actual game to base our opinions on.

Preseason is basically worthless when determining how well the season will be.
Pre season shme season

Shaun hill delivers when it REALLY matter
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I wish the regular season would hurry up and get here, so we can have an actual game to base our opinions on.

Preseason is basically worthless when determining how well the season will be.

Yup! not sure why I even bother responding to these threads...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home