LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws at or in the general vicinity of the receivers.

Fixed it for you.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by dugo:
Here we are 3rd preseason game done and I for one haven't seen much from any of our receivers. Is it due to the receivers not getting any separation ,or bad route running? Possibly bad play calling as well,or the o-line and the pass protection? Or just bad QB play? I personally see it as a combination of all of the above and if that's truly the case its gonna be a long season. Any thoughts or opinions?

Please don't mention anything about Crabtree he's not even a part of the team...yet

We have the same receivers and quarterbacks and line we had last year.

The play calling has been run run 3rd and long. And if not that then run run run run run run run run run score.

There is no rhythm with this type of offense.

Same players. What has changed? The offensive coordinator has changed.

"We want to run the ball."

Well, this is what a team who "wants to run the ball" looks like.

I'm already bored with this offense.

We are going to have the same problem this year that we have every year. Nobody is afraid of our passing game so they wait for the run and we oblige. 3 yards and a cload of dust.....
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
By the way, where's Jason Hill?

While Battle has been starting with the first team, Hill has been relegated to playing time only in the 4th quarter.

Supposedly, he has had an unimpressive camp and has been completely absent in all of preseason.

-9fA

actually I believe he might have the best #s out of all our WRs so far this preseason....

I really don't know what is going on....but after todays game CBS showed the 49ers 2008 yearbook....and all you see is Jason Hill making play after play as well as TDs...... WTF is going on

he must've got on someones bad side..... I wouldn't be surprised if he was the example a new OC likes to make of when ever they take over for a new team.....

maybe he got on Raye's bad side...for what ever reason....

what I do know is Jason Hill is from San Francisco...and I'm sure he is a 49ers fan at heart....and he has played well for us, when ever given a chance.....

I really wanted and expected that Josh Morgan and Jason Hill were going to be our starting WRs in a couple of years........before the drafting of Crabtree.

Morgan and Hill have good size....nice hands and are some of our fastest receivers that could get down field.
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Anyone else think that Dashon Goldson kind of looks like Marshawn Lynch?

Well..not really, but still

marshawn lynch looks like Wario from the super mario bros games
I think this team really needs Crabtree. The wide outs are not consistently getting open.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Chief:
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Our entire starting offense looked bad.

Defense play well but still lacked pass rush.

Haha, and there it is... hypocrisy at it's finest. It's all Alexcuses if the OL or receivers fail to do their job... but somehow legit reasons for Shaun Hill's lackluster accomplishment.

When Hill starts being a liability during the regular season like Smith has in the past then you can compare the two.

Other than his rookie season, when was Smith a liability? He had a decent season in 06 and the Niners were 2-1 when he went down in 07 (one of those wins being a drive he engineered to beat the Cardinals). If you mean he was a liability when he had a separated shoulder than I agree. Otherwise, no. I admit he was only sporadically a game-changer, but to say he was a liability is just revisionist history.

Right on
49ers leading receivers

REC yrds
Vernon Davis 4 57 14.3 23 0
Jason Hill 4 44 11.0 15 0
Arnaz Battle 3 26 8.7 12 0
J.J. Finley 3 18 6.0 9 0
Josh Morgan 3 30 10.0 14 0
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM ]
The O-line couldn't block, the backs couldn't pick up the blitz, Hill never had time to throw, the playcalling was horrible in the first half, Morgan can't seem to get open, and Davis is the new 49ers Webzone Hero.

It's gonna be a great season.......

And for you guys screaming for Alex, give it a break. The guy had his chance and he wasn't any better than Hill. It wouldn't have made any difference who was behind center for the starting O-line tonight.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Originally posted by Afrikan:
49ers leading receivers

REC yrds
Vernon Davis 4 57 14.3 23 0
Jason Hill 4 44 11.0 15 0
Arnaz Battle 3 26 8.7 12 0
J.J. Finley 3 18 6.0 9 0
Josh Morgan 3 30 10.0 14 0

Thanks for the stats, although Hill has been playing mainly against 3rd stringers so you have to put those numbers into perspective.

Still, I hope Raye is simply hiding the passing game otherwise it's going to be a long season.

-9fA

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Sweet Jesus, hondakillerz, you may be on to something
Originally posted by susweel:
No its bad QB play and bad O line play. Along with bad offensive play calling. Martz made the offense look good, I think he will be missed. This play calling looks very Hostlerish. I hope I'm wrong though, I don't wonna watch another s**tty season.

No, we won't miss Martz one bit. Remember the Cardinal game last year we should have if Martz weren't such a moron? Taking 30 seconds to call a timeout, not having the right personnel on the field, or how about the Miami game when he didn't have VD, blocking Porter when he had all but relegated VD to a blocking role throughout the season.

I was as happy to see Martz go as I was to see Nolan go, they both suck.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
well...if it means anything Nate Davis looks better than Alex Smith during his rookie year...

Not hard to look better with a little talent around you.

Spurlock, Jason Hill, Ziegler, sheets isn't really 1st round talent

all you want, but they are better than what Smith had to work with in 05, not only that but the general level of talent on the team is better all around. Any of the RB's are better than Barlow, and any of those linemen are better than Kwame.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Chief:
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Our entire starting offense looked bad.

Defense play well but still lacked pass rush.

Haha, and there it is... hypocrisy at it's finest. It's all Alexcuses if the OL or receivers fail to do their job... but somehow legit reasons for Shaun Hill's lackluster accomplishment.

When Hill starts being a liability during the regular season like Smith has in the past then you can compare the two.

Other than his rookie season, when was Smith a liability? He had a decent season in 06 and the Niners were 2-1 when he went down in 07 (one of those wins being a drive he engineered to beat the Cardinals). If you mean he was a liability when he had a separated shoulder than I agree. Otherwise, no. I admit he was only sporadically a game-changer, but to say he was a liability is just revisionist history.

Some folks just have an unnatural prejudice about the guy that will be starting for us sooner rather than later if hill continues to stink it up out there. I keep waiting for Hill to look even decent, but so far this hasn't happened. He averaged 4.6 yards per completion, the defense stacked the box and the running game struggled.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm surprised no one has called out Morgan, he's been absolutely horrible.
Share 49ersWebzone