There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

**Update** Marvel Smith retiring (Confirmed)

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well we are looking at the market right now for OT's per MM's twitter.

Quote:
Offensive Tackle
Levi Jones (LT) - Talented, long-time starter for the Bengals, but has suffered through various injuries over the past few years which have limited his play.
Mark Tauscher (RT) - May not be ready to play until after the regular season starts.
Jon Runyan (RT) - He still wants to play one to two years and should be ready to go very soon.
Jonas Jennings (LT/RT) - Oft-injured since he signed a big free-agent contract with the 49ers and probably is better off at right tackle because of his short arms.
Charles Spencer (LT/RT/G) - Very talented and versatile, but hasn't been the same after suffering a horrific leg/knee injury during his rookie season with the Texans. Recently signed with the UFL.
Kwame Harris (LT) - Marginal starter, but could be a solid backup for a team in need of a LT.
Jason Fabini (RT/G) - Can play probably at least three spots on the offensive line. Serviceable backup at this point in his career.
George Foster (RT) - Average backup tackle.
Wayne Gandy (LT) - Last word we had was that he still wanted to play.
Junius Coston (RT) - Fits in as a fourth tackle.
Rob Petitti (RT) - He was recently selected in the UFL draft.
Fred Miller (RT) - 36-year old tackle who probably will retire.
Kevin Sampson (RT) - Started his career off with the Kansas City Chiefs and has bounced around of late. Signed with the UFL.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/892727.html

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Well we are looking at the market right now for OT's per MM's twitter.

Quote:
Offensive Tackle
Levi Jones (LT) - Talented, long-time starter for the Bengals, but has suffered through various injuries over the past few years which have limited his play.
Mark Tauscher (RT) - May not be ready to play until after the regular season starts.
Jon Runyan (RT) - He still wants to play one to two years and should be ready to go very soon.
Jonas Jennings (LT/RT) - Oft-injured since he signed a big free-agent contract with the 49ers and probably is better off at right tackle because of his short arms.
Charles Spencer (LT/RT/G) - Very talented and versatile, but hasn't been the same after suffering a horrific leg/knee injury during his rookie season with the Texans. Recently signed with the UFL.
Kwame Harris (LT) - Marginal starter, but could be a solid backup for a team in need of a LT.
Jason Fabini (RT/G) - Can play probably at least three spots on the offensive line. Serviceable backup at this point in his career.
George Foster (RT) - Average backup tackle.
Wayne Gandy (LT) - Last word we had was that he still wanted to play.
Junius Coston (RT) - Fits in as a fourth tackle.
Rob Petitti (RT) - He was recently selected in the UFL draft.
Fred Miller (RT) - 36-year old tackle who probably will retire.
Kevin Sampson (RT) - Started his career off with the Kansas City Chiefs and has bounced around of late. Signed with the UFL.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/892727.html

yup major f**k!

anyone on the trade block?
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Jon runyan anyone?
Alex Boone, today is your day.
Originally posted by AkNiners:
Alex Boone, today is your day.
Originally posted by JMC52:
Jon runyan anyone?

Yeah i feel he's the best of the bunch.

-9fA
That ended badly . . . two pre-season games . . .

So much for my theory that a healthy Marvel Smith would be the key to a successful season . . .
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Levi Jones, played LT his whole career, I wonder if he could be just as good at RT he also is 2 years younger than Marvel Smith. I wonder if the 9ers are considering him??

And yes, Jon Runyan would be my second choice, solid run blocker, I think he would make a good fit in Raye's offense.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Taking Crabtree over Oher could really, really come back to hurt us and haunt us for years to come.

Why? because there wont be another 1st rd tackle next year in the draft? But im assuming there will be another 2 time biletnikoff winner in the draft. gimmie a break
Levi Jones, Mark Tauscher and Jon Runyan look like viable RT temp options.
Runyan without a doubt for one year. Let's move on to the next problem like who is rushing the passer and who can be a serviceable NFL QB. Hill only a journeyman backup.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Per MM Twitter:

Quote:
It's official: The 49ers have announced that OT Marvel Smith has retired. Team has yet to fill roster spot. #fb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see if Boone can possibly pass up Sims on the depth chart, if not, look for Jon Runyan or a Levi Jones type signing. (not MM but my speculation)
Per MM Twitter:

Quote:
It's official: The 49ers have announced that OT Marvel Smith has retired. Team has yet to fill roster spot. #fb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see if Boone can possibly pass up Sims on the depth chart, if not, look for Jon Runyan or a Levi Jones type signing. (not MM but my speculation)

I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Runyan.

This is too bad. I thought Smith looked pretty decent against the Raiders. Hopefully Snyder will play all 16 games and we can worry about this in the offseason...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Per MM Twitter:

Quote:

This is too bad. I thought Smith looked pretty decent against the Raiders. Hopefully Snyder will play all 16 games and we can worry about this in the offseason...

I actually thought he looked decent in both Preseason games. Its too bad, he would've had a chance to finally show he could start over Snyder.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Per MM Twitter:

Quote:

I actually thought he looked decent in both Preseason games. Its too bad, he would've had a chance to finally show he could start over Snyder.

for sure. I'm excited about Boone, though. He seems to be playing well from what I've heard. The best case now is Snyder plays a full, decent season, and Boone progresses enough that he can compete for the spot next year.

Unless, of course, the Panthers tank this season and we have a shot at an elite tackle in the draft.