LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

**Update** Marvel Smith retiring (Confirmed)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How big was that bullet that we just dodged with Synder's sprain ankle. Not comfortable with Barry Sims at backup going into the season at all.
At this point is there anyone else out there?
As much as it sucks, I can't blame the guy. Had to get out now or else he could've had an injury that would linger on his whole life
Runyan time! He's a very physical tackle!
[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM ]

Well, more bad luck, huh?

I thought he could possibly come in and make us better and we were lauled into a false sense of security. There seems to be an aire of unpredictabililty on this one, unfortunately. He just couldn't hack it and it places us in a real predicament.

Snyder is resting, asured and agreed. After that it is Sims and Boone. Holy moly, one of them has to step up to fit the slot left vacant by Smith's retirement. I am personally hoping it's Boone, but Sims' experience wins out. Eventually, Boone's play will take the spot.

Still, this sucks!
Runyan should have been on speed dial the nano second that Mahvelous marvel uttered the first syllable to retire.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by DANADA:
wow this would be the worst off season ever he was our big signing and Crabtree hasn't signed

Brandon Jones will be the biggest signing

.....and he's hurt.

this still could be the worst off-season ever.

We are the same exact team as last year. No changes have been made, no value has been added (maybe besides Glen Coffee). Can't wait for kickoff!

It is odd that the names haven't changed. But the Niners are not the exact team. On the OL, when Warhop left, Staley returned to techniques that succeeded in college. He had a better second half. Rachal became starter at RG, improving that position. If we are to trust Singletary, Snyder too has improved. Realize than in Marvel's retirement, there's been no talk about his back. Perhaps he's retiring because he didn't win the starting job from Snyder.

I too am a crazed Niner fan and I agree that the team CAN be better than it was last season, but none of what you're saying is quantifiable or has been proven in a real game. What hasn't improved is the actual player - Snyder may be better but is he as durable? Warhop may have left, but is Chris Forrester much better with this squad? Smith didn't win the starting job because he was never cleared medically to practice in two-a-days. You can't compete if you can't get out on the field.

No quantifiable value has been added. We're hoping coaching, schemes and attitude were/are/will be the difference between this year and last. However on paper, it's he same team except for Coffee.

I can't see how it won't be after moving on from the Nolan regime. Hopefully this alone can get us 2 or 3 more wins and get us a division title.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by DANADA:
wow this would be the worst off season ever he was our big signing and Crabtree hasn't signed

Brandon Jones will be the biggest signing

.....and he's hurt.

this still could be the worst off-season ever.

We are the same exact team as last year. No changes have been made, no value has been added (maybe besides Glen Coffee). Can't wait for kickoff!

It is odd that the names haven't changed. But the Niners are not the exact team. On the OL, when Warhop left, Staley returned to techniques that succeeded in college. He had a better second half. Rachal became starter at RG, improving that position. If we are to trust Singletary, Snyder too has improved. Realize than in Marvel's retirement, there's been no talk about his back. Perhaps he's retiring because he didn't win the starting job from Snyder.

I too am a crazed Niner fan and I agree that the team CAN be better than it was last season, but none of what you're saying is quantifiable or has been proven in a real game. What hasn't improved is the actual player - Snyder may be better but is he as durable? Warhop may have left, but is Chris Forrester much better with this squad? Smith didn't win the starting job because he was never cleared medically to practice in two-a-days. You can't compete if you can't get out on the field.

No quantifiable value has been added. We're hoping coaching, schemes and attitude were/are/will be the difference between this year and last. However on paper, it's he same team except for Coffee.

I can't see how it won't be after moving on from the Nolan regime. Hopefully this alone can get us 2 or 3 more wins and get us a division title.

Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for NINERMINER49.
How much dead money will count against us with the retirement of Marvel Smith. I know he signed a contract that protects the niners just in case he got injured again. I just wanna know how much, if any money is gonna count against our cap.
Originally posted by NINERMINER49:
How much dead money will count against us with the retirement of Marvel Smith. I know he signed a contract that protects the niners just in case he got injured again. I just wanna know how much, if any money is gonna count against our cap.

I don't know all the details but I remember hearing that the deal Marvel signed was a win win for the niners, so mabye they had an injury clause that save them from the dead money. Like I said I don't know exactly I just remember reading it when we signed him. PEACE FROM THE FAN

Share 49ersWebzone