LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Start Walker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by backontop:
How about we just leave Davis as the starter seems how we now have a OC that actually knows how to utilize the TE position. Look for Davis to have a pretty good year. So far he has been thrown to 4 times in the preseason and while still catchable the pass was delivered high. So far he has been pretty solid this "preseason" Lets just hope it carries over to the regular season and he finally meets the expectations that he brought with him when he was drafted.

All in all, when Davis rests, the defense must deal with Walker.

You act like this guy has done so much and is so scary to defenses that the DC are planning around this guy. Truth is Davis is a bigger threat than Walker.

deal with Walker thats a good one.

That's not fair.

Life isn't fair. Just ask Alex Smith
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Well Hell, put me in coach!

I'll start off with.... I'm not saying Delanie should start. I'm not saying he shouldn't. I'm just here to post some "fun facts"

Fun Fact #1. For 3 years now, using numbers as an argument against Vernon was never allowed. "Because it wasn't his fault" Now his numbers versus Delanie is allowed. So I guess it is Delanie's fault?

Fun Fact #2. Every year Davis gets the whole "Potential" to sample size ratio. Yet Delanie has shown better potential to sample size ratio.

Fun Fact #3. VD adds alot to the run game. In the 2 games Delanie started in place of Vernon. (in 07 week 4 & 5 versus Sea and Balt.) Gore ran for 79 yards on 16 carries. a 4.9ypc against the #12 run defense that averaged only 3.9 ypc against. Against Baltimore he ran for 52 yards on 16 carries. a 3.25 ypc average. While Baltimore was the #2 ranked run defense giving up 2.8 ypc against.

The Delanie stat is based on Nfl.com the games delanie has been listed as starting in which VD didn't play. FWIW
Originally posted by krizay:

I'll start off with.... I'm not saying Delanie should start. I'm not saying he shouldn't. I'm just here to post some "fun facts"

Fun Fact #1. For 3 years now, using numbers as an argument against Vernon was never allowed. "Because it wasn't his fault" Now his numbers versus Delanie is allowed. So I guess it is Delanie's fault?

Fun Fact #2. Every year Davis gets the whole "Potential" to sample size ratio. Yet Delanie has shown better potential to sample size ratio.

Fun Fact #3. VD adds alot to the run game. In the 2 games Delanie started in place of Vernon. (in 07 week 4 & 5 versus Sea and Balt.) Gore ran for 79 yards on 16 carries. a 4.9ypc against the #12 run defense that averaged only 3.9 ypc against. Against Baltimore he ran for 52 yards on 16 carries. a 3.25 ypc average. While Baltimore was the #2 ranked run defense giving up 2.8 ypc against.

The Delanie stat is based on Nfl.com the games delanie has been listed as starting in which VD didn't play. FWIW

How many of those runs came to the side that Walker was "blocking" on. That is the thing about stats you can sway them to say just about anything you want and you don't have to worry about the reality of the situation because you have "stats" Stats are over rated. Look at the games and the stats together and get the big picture. Now if ever single run came to Walker's side and you can prove that with your "Stats" then that would be a different story.

True.

Does anyone have the time or inclination to summarize starting stats for each player? If so, please do, Zoners. I'd be curious to see the comparison.

How many of those runs came to the side that Walker was "blocking" on. That is the thing about stats you can sway them to say just about anything you want and you don't have to worry about the reality of the situation because you have "stats" Stats are over rated. Look at the games and the stats together and get the big picture. Now if ever single run came to Walker's side and you can prove that with your "Stats" then that would be a different story.

Yeah but Walker in didn't weaken our running game, that's all that matters. It's not like we are not going to stop running effectively all of a sudden. The main thing is that Vernon, in receiving, has had more of a negative impact on games than he has had positive. Walker is more consistent overall so far.

Let's just say Vernon has a lot to prove or he may be no different than Ricky Dudley the old Raider freak TE that couldn't catch crap.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Yeah but Walker in didn't weaken our running game, that's all that matters. It's not like we are not going to stop running effectively all of a sudden. The main thing is that Vernon, in receiving, has had more of a negative impact on games than he has had positive. Walker is more consistent overall so far.

Let's just say Vernon has a lot to prove or he may be no different than Ricky Dudley the old Raider freak TE that couldn't catch crap.

screw it lets just cut Smith, V. Davis, Lawson, and anyone else that blind haters feel are not "meeting" their standards

Please explain to me or show me how Walker has been more consistent than Davis.

And I think everybody has agreed that Vernon needs to step up his game this year receiving wise. But he is still the better TE overall. not in just receiving or blocking, in all the skills needed to be a TE in the NFL Vernon is better l than walker
Originally posted by OO9ers:
With all the change going on it might me time to shake up the Tight End possition by benching Vernon Davis in favor of Delanie Walker.

Any Objection?

I think that's roght on the money. DW is a gamer.

yep, yep ,yep ,yep

why dont we just start bear pascoe I mean he IS worse than both of them
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Somebody say Street Walker ???
How about we just leave Davis as the starter seems how we now have a OC that actually knows how to utilize the TE position. Look for Davis to have a pretty good year. So far he has been thrown to 4 times in the preseason and while still catchable the pass was delivered high. So far he has been pretty solid this "preseason" Lets just hope it carries over to the regular season and he finally meets the expectations that he brought with him when he was drafted.

You act like this guy has done so much and is so scary to defenses that the DC are planning around this guy. Truth is Davis is a bigger threat than Walker.

That's not fair.

Here we go with f**king Alex Smith!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

That's not fair.

Yah life aint fair for the Niners, they paid like 50 million for possibly being one of the worst QB's in niner history.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

That's not fair.

Yah life aint fair for the Niners, they paid like 50 million for possibly being one of the worst QB's in niner history.

Share 49ersWebzone