LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Start Walker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
VD takes pressure off D-LOVE on the 2 TE sets.. D-LOVE wouldn't be too effective if he were to start a whole game
Start Walker over Fool's Gold??

Not a chance. As much as I am skeptical about Davis' ability to live up anywhere close to his potential, he's still better than Walker.

Keep an eye on Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, board members. He's going to be really, really good in this league, and if Davis does not have a solid year, the Niners may move in a different direction for the future.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Not a chance. As much as I am skeptical about Davis' ability to live up anywhere close to his potential, he's still better than Walker.

Keep an eye on Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, board members. He's going to be really, really good in this league, and if Davis does not have a solid year, the Niners may move in a different direction for the future.

Oklahoma? I wonder why.

It is obvious that Walker is a better reciever and he has also shown to be very effective after the catch be it a 15 yard catch or a 5 yard catch. One thing he hasn't done is give up on a catchable ball.
Originally posted by OO9ers:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Haha

Walker starts TE for me in Madden.....But only cuz i have Vernon at Fullback.

Walker is good but Vernon is a beast at blocking and once he masters catching the f**king ball he will be unstoppable especially with Hill at Qb. Alex will also feed him nicely if he ever has to step in becasue that's whose Raye's offense is going to utilize besides Frankie G.

you cant master catching the ball. either you can or cant! VD CANT.

Are you serious? So your telling me Jerry rice could catch better than any reciever before he could walk because you can either catch or you cant? You mean to tell me he never got any better was just born to be the best WR of all time because he could catch a brick outta the womb???
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Haha

Walker is good but Vernon is a beast at blocking and once he masters catching the f**king ball he will be unstoppable especially with Hill at Qb. Alex will also feed him nicely if he ever has to step in becasue that's whose Raye's offense is going to utilize besides Frankie G.

Are you serious? So your telling me Jerry rice could catch better than any reciever before he could walk because you can either catch or you cant? You mean to tell me he never got any better was just born to be the best WR of all time because he could catch a brick outta the womb???

There's a difference between dropping a ball due to concentration over dropping a ball because your ass is too stiff and you can't even close your forearms together because your chest is too damn big.

Also, giving upon balls.
Haha

A lot of mythology goes on when it comes to this stuff. The reality is Jerry worked harder than anyone on his craft, but of course also has natural talent. One would have to be a little out of touch with Davis pro career & pre-NFL playing to not realize he has amazing natural talent. It is just a matter of keep working at it to improve. Catching just like route running is a skill that a receiver practices at getting better at, and can be improved on. With the current coaching staff, you know that will happen. Singletary really likes Vernon, but is also going to demand that he work hard at getting better.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Haha

A lot of mythology goes on when it comes to this stuff. The reality is Jerry worked harder than anyone on his craft, but of course also has natural talent. One would have to be a little out of touch with Davis pro career & pre-NFL playing to not realize he has amazing natural talent. It is just a matter of keep working at it to improve. Catching just like route running is a skill that a receiver practices at getting better at, and can be improved on. With the current coaching staff, you know that will happen. Singletary really likes Vernon, but is also going to demand that he work hard at getting better.

Yeah but catching does require a lot of natural eye hand coordination. Focus is what takes it to the next level like Jerry Rice.

Another key contributor is how easy or difficult is it to keep at your top speed. Some guys are faster but they run rough and try harder to run that fast whereas some guys, like Randy Moss don't need to try hard to get to their top speed. This allows for more stability and focus to catch the ball.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Uh...no more first round tight ends

I don't care how good they look as prospects.
How about we just leave Davis as the starter seems how we now have a OC that actually knows how to utilize the TE position. Look for Davis to have a pretty good year. So far he has been thrown to 4 times in the preseason and while still catchable the pass was delivered high. So far he has been pretty solid this "preseason" Lets just hope it carries over to the regular season and he finally meets the expectations that he brought with him when he was drafted.

Originally posted by backontop:
How about we just leave Davis as the starter seems how we now have a OC that actually knows how to utilize the TE position. Look for Davis to have a pretty good year. So far he has been thrown to 4 times in the preseason and while still catchable the pass was delivered high. So far he has been pretty solid this "preseason" Lets just hope it carries over to the regular season and he finally meets the expectations that he brought with him when he was drafted.

All in all, when Davis rests, the defense must deal with Walker.
Originally posted by Joecool:

You act like this guy has done so much and is so scary to defenses that the DC are planning around this guy. Truth is Davis is a bigger threat than Walker.

deal with Walker thats a good one.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

Only positions which we shouldn't consider in the 1st round:

Kicker and Punter (duh)
WRs - Unless Crabtree sits out a year (highly unlikely)
ILB - We got the two we need for the next 10 years
Center - We have one of the better Centers in the league
RB - Gore, Coffee, Sheets (nuff said)

Everyone other position we have a need. Of course if Davis shows up this year, TE should be in the group as well. I personally would love to spend both the first rounders on D. One on safety, and one on OLB.
Originally posted by Joecool:

You act like this guy has done so much and is so scary to defenses that the DC are planning around this guy. Truth is Davis is a bigger threat than Walker.

deal with Walker thats a good one.

That's not fair.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by crzy:

Only positions which we shouldn't consider in the 1st round:

Kicker and Punter (duh)
WRs - Unless Crabtree sits out a year (highly unlikely)
ILB - We got the two we need for the next 10 years
Center - We have one of the better Centers in the league
RB - Gore, Coffee, Sheets (nuff said)

Everyone other position we have a need. Of course if Davis shows up this year, TE should be in the group as well. I personally would love to spend both the first rounders on D. One on safety, and one on OLB.

I'm starting to think they need to go 2 OLB's. Guess that's just being greedy.
Share 49ersWebzone