There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Very impressed with Scott McKillop; he has the skills.
The run defense did look pretty good tonight, even without PW on the field. Comparatively, the Raiders run defense was about two steps north of Pop Warner...
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by NickV:
our rook Briggs was getting some good push. A. Brooks also.

The TD that nate gave up was

It was cover 2, he saw the tight end start coming into his zone so he let the receiver go because the TE was threatening his zone, problem is the safety behind was Roman

That's true.

But given the down and distance he probably should have followed the WR. Even if the TE caught the ball he would have needed 23 yards to get a first down. Someone would have caught him.

Either way that whole play was f**ked up.

Exactly! Nate should have been much deeper on that one. I know it's only 1 play in preseason, but that wasn't good from our #1 corner.

Per Matt Barrows on Twitter, Nate takes the blame for the TD.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
The run defense did look pretty good tonight, even without PW on the field. Comparatively, the Raiders run defense was about two steps north of Pop Warner...

So true... They stink....So it's hard to tell how good our run game is......
Pass rush was still vanilla but they got some better pressure this game....
Anyone know why Haralson wasn't playing? Is he injured or something?
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I agree with everyone thats already posted. 9ers still lacking a pass rush,but a bit better then last week. And that blown coverage by Nate/Roman sucked. But overall not too bad
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by joebbadass:
Ahhmm...Pass rush? Was there any. Good defensive game from what I read, except no pass rush...

This. Just horrible horrible to see. I know Willis and Haralson were out but common! If we continue with this type of pass rush against good teams we'll get picked apart. Thank god next year's draft is loaded at pass rushers.

They didn't get the numbers, but I for one saw consistent pressure, and a lot of #55.
Clements was the only bad apple on defense tonight. And it was really only on 1 and a half plays. The half play is the penalty which was bad about getting burned, but good at having the heads up to commit the penalty.

Of course I thought that safety should have came over and covered the wr in the end zone on that td.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by joebbadass:
Ahhmm...Pass rush? Was there any. Good defensive game from what I read, except no pass rush...

we got in their face but our first team d didn't get any sacks, except for lawson getting credit for russell's phantom sack

They got in the face of the offensive linemen...not the QB. They had a couple of moments but really the first team hardly pressured Russell at all.

The Niners need to pick up a couple pass rushers before this season starts. The current group stinks in that category. Wash is deep on DL, maybe grab one of their last cuts.

The D will be lit up like a XMAS tree starting in week one against warner if they don't do something.
Can't rush judgement on the D they are missng Willis and Haralson...the passrush looked ok and should get much better with those 2 back.
On that touchdown to Murphy, Justin Smith was being held BIG TIMe by the raider's LT. THe refs didn't catch that.....
The best pass rusher in this draft, Brian Orakpo, was brilliant today. No sacks, but disrupted the Steelers all game. Looked VERY, VERY good. Almost had a pick as well.
Our pass rush is worse than last year. Its not even close.

Last year we were collapsing the pocket from time to time.

This year, its Justin Smith, a corner blitz, or absolutely nothing.

Top to bottom, first string to last, the pass rush is worse than last year's preseason, and last year it wasn't that great.

Lawson gets zero pressure, and Haralson and Smith can't do it by themselves.

People are going to be all over Nate Clements this season for not covering his man for 10 sec.

Boy, Orakpo sounds REALLY nice right about now.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The best pass rusher in this draft, Brian Orakpo, was brilliant today. No sacks, but disrupted the Steelers all game. Looked VERY, VERY good. Almost had a pick as well.

Yeah, but he's got a hell of a D-line in front of him too.

Did you see him lift that OT off his feet. That's an insame display of strength. It looked like he was picking up a child. Washington is going to have a sick defense this year.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home