There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign Eric Green

As always, wise words from MM:

Question: Why another DB? Camp hand? A little late for that. Or do you see Green as having a chance at making the 53 man roster? Did they sign him for the minimum? (mwbudd)

Answer: Do you remember 2005 when the 49ers were so short on defensive backs that they'd sign an unemployed guy off the street on a Tuesday and place him in the starting lineup on Sunday? The 49ers were interested in Eric Green when he was a free agent this offseason. If they signed Dre' Bly for the veteran minimum, you can be sure they did not give Green a penny more. The 49ers were looking for a veteran after Donald Strickland left. Bly replaces Walt Harris, who is out for the season. Green is in a battle for a roster spot. These next few weeks are important for him, because even if he does not make the 53-man roster, he could be the first person they call if they need a cornerback once the season begins.
He is a good physical cb that will provide us with good depth and maybe he wasn't picking up miami's defense and struggled but not a bad signing because it is not going to hurt us.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Thizz415:
He is a good physical cb that will provide us with good depth and maybe he wasn't picking up miami's defense and struggled but not a bad signing because it is not going to hurt us.

They didn't even give him another Preseason game to make it back up.
I read somewhere that he lost his confidence. Maybe working with Clements, Bly, Spencer and the rest of the crew will help bring some of that back and he will actually be a decent pick up
Originally posted by backontop:
I read somewhere that he lost his confidence. Maybe working with Clements, Bly, Spencer and the rest of the crew will help bring some of that back and he will actually be a decent pick up

I heard Sparano is running a crazy Training Camp, 4 guys have quit and a lot of players are complaining about. Not that Singletary doesen't run a hard TC but I think he cares more about the players and is approachable. I think Dre and Nate can help Eric Green's confidence and he will get good coaching from Vance Joseph and Johnny Lynn. Green signed with the Dolphins because they were him hometown team but sometimes guys just struggle in front of his hometown fans and maybe gets to comfortable, I dunno....
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I heard Sparano is running a crazy Training Camp, 4 guys have quit and a lot of players are complaining about. Not that Singletary doesen't run a hard TC but I think he cares more about the players and is approachable. I think Dre and Nate can help Eric Green's confidence and he will get good coaching from Vance Joseph and Johnny Lynn. Green signed with the Dolphins because they were him hometown team but sometimes guys just struggle in front of his hometown fans and maybe gets to comfortable, I dunno....

What kind of stuff is he doing in his camp that people are quitting
so Miami has a great draft and we get their leftovers
Originally posted by danimal:

one mans trash is another mans treasure.
I still dont see which 49er C.B. Eric Green is going to bump off our 53 man roster?

He ain't better than Clements-Brown-Bly-Spencer.

However if it is between keeping Safety Mark Roman or CB Green, than Yes.
[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM ]
Let's put him in for some plays in the next three games and see what happens.

Good point. Remember when the Redskins dumped Walt Harris? That was a real gem pick up.
[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Aug 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM ]
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

Good point. Remember when the Redskins dumped Walt Harris? That was a real gem pick up.

remember when Tampa let go of Steve Young
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Eric Green is horrible, the Dolphins gave him every chance to start so they could ease their two rookies into the role. It's not like they signed him to a 1 year deal for peanuts.

He was repeatedly torched in practice by the Miami wrs, and one preseason game was all they needed to see. I've had to read way too many training camp and ota Dolphin reports sent to me by my friend to think that this is a quality pickup. He won't be making the 53 man roster.

I think I'd rather have a random fan from the crowd play dime back if an injury occurs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by papa9er:

No. That is a bad idea; it just makes too much sense.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by papa9er:

No. That is a bad idea; it just makes too much sense.

I agree, we should either rid his jock like he was some kind of super star and will win us the SB or hate him like he was the biggest piece of crap to ever hit the league. Sounds more Niner Talkish