There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL Network PreSeason Game Replay...

Davis has some nice zip on his passes.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by strickac:

I agree. So from that same statement, wouldn't you also agree that one quarter of Preseason football isn't an indication of how he'll play this regular season?

It carries a bit more importance since its this season, what he's doing right now. Not much, but still more important.

Well, I don't know, but I tend to side with the 10 regular season games. I feel like I've seen enough of his play to trust his abilities, even if he had a mediocre game yesterday.

It seemed a little less then mediocre yesterday. the one play he disappointed me with was the Sack he took. he didnt even try to make the play. It did not seem like the regular Hill yesterday. But the Raiders played smart yesterday agaisnt him with everyone Bump and run. Why can't Nate Clements do that instead of the Ten yard cushion.

And if the Raiders were able to do that during a preseason game, what's that mean for the regular season. Remember, teams in the preseason play vanilla defense's. They're not showing their what they're gameplan for the regular season is. Our opponents for this season (especially in the division), were, and have been, taking notes on both of our QBs.

As I've already said, going off of what a QB did in the past, has little importance on what will happen in the future. There's been so many QBs who have one fantastic season only to totally sputter the following season. Many of them are journeymen QBs like Hill.

As a whole though, the O-line dominated the Raiders. I'll take that performance any day.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Davis has some nice zip on his passes.

Yeah, he's got a cannon. He shows nice poise too.
Originally posted by valrod33:
i dont see how people are saying that Smith played like s**t, his recievers dropped 3 passes that should have been caught, the INT should have been caught and Bruce and Davis dropped 1 each on the first drive.

Im not saying Smith looked great but he didnt look as bad as everybody is saying either

Exactly. People just read the stat line and assume it was all his fault. On another play there was instantly a pass rusher coming up the middle so he was flushed out of the pocket and had to throw out of bounds.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by strickac:

I agree. So from that same statement, wouldn't you also agree that one quarter of Preseason football isn't an indication of how he'll play this regular season?

It carries a bit more importance since its this season, what he's doing right now. Not much, but still more important.

Well, I don't know, but I tend to side with the 10 regular season games. I feel like I've seen enough of his play to trust his abilities, even if he had a mediocre game yesterday.

It seemed a little less then mediocre yesterday. the one play he disappointed me with was the Sack he took. he didnt even try to make the play. It did not seem like the regular Hill yesterday. But the Raiders played smart yesterday agaisnt him with everyone Bump and run. Why can't Nate Clements do that instead of the Ten yard cushion.

Yeah, I hate when QBs hang on to the ball. That used to be one of my biggest complaints with Smith, but he was quick to get rid of the ball yesterday.

The thing that irritated me the most on the sack is that Marvel Smith barely even laid a hand on the pass rusher. Marvel looked so out of place in pass protection. I hope he can knock the rust off because if Snyder goes down, we're in trouble.


I truly dont wanna turn this into another Qb thread. Yea i dont know whats up with Marvel Smith but the rest of the line did good run blocking. I didnt pay attention too much to M.Smith on his run block ability. But isnt it funny how Nate was screaming "They cant compete" and look who gets scored on. Well it could have also been blamed on Dashon But Clements has the money so i would think he would give up the flat and take the Deep Ball in cover 3.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 561
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Davis has some nice zip on his passes.

yeah he throws better than smith and hill, especially on the move.
Has anybody paid attention to Snyder. I know his camp has been good but what have you guys seen in the Preseason game. They said the Injury wasnt serious right?
Originally posted by strickac:

As a whole though, the O-line dominated the Raiders. I'll take that performance any day.

Yes, the O-line was awesome, and Oakland's rush defense is downright terrible.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by strickac:

As a whole though, the O-line dominated the Raiders. I'll take that performance any day.

Yes, the O-line was awesome, and Oakland's rush defense is downright terrible.

Glad not to be a Raider fan.
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by rob28:
and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

please excuse the terrible typing.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.

Dude just reread that. please. If the 7-3 argument is valid the so is the him playing against nobodies in those 7 wins. I love how we beat the Cardinals which he threw two picks and he should have been three. Oh wait we lost that game. Against the Broncos Smith also made a play to Taylor Jacobs for a key first down but let's blow that off too becasue according to you that whole game he only made one play. What about both Seattle games that year. Hill is in the competition because he has Not PROVING that he is better than Smith.

Your really gonna base your arguement on a QB who beats lousy teams???

"...who beats lousy teams???"

what a joke..... why are you other posters letting aacadena get to you....look at his post count....he is obviously a previous poster who got banned....but I wonder who it is....

anyway aacadena....tell me who these lousy teams were and what were the situations when we played them....were we also expected to win these games against these "lousy" teams....were we the favorites?.... how did these teams do the previous week before we played them....also what were the standings implications for these "lousy" teams when they played us.....you seem to know so much....let us know.

also these questions are not only for aacadena...anyone else can chime in......please do.
Originally posted by JD81:
Smith made good reads on that first drive......Davis and Bruce dropped the ball (literally) on a couple of occasions, that would have lengthened that drive...

The pass to Bruce was actually a bad pass more than a drop.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by JD81:
Smith made good reads on that first drive......Davis and Bruce dropped the ball (literally) on a couple of occasions, that would have lengthened that drive...

The pass to Bruce was actually a bad pass more than a drop.

Bad throws by Smith, Bruce and Davis and Morgan could have caught them but Smith should have done better with the protection he got
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by JD81:
Smith made good reads on that first drive......Davis and Bruce dropped the ball (literally) on a couple of occasions, that would have lengthened that drive...

The pass to Bruce was actually a bad pass more than a drop.

It was tipped by one of Oakland's linemen. Even with the tip, Bruce had a good chance to catch it. However, he only tried with one hand and short-armed it.

I'm recording the game on my DVR and I re-watched those plays 3 or 4 times. It was a tipped ball.
Originally posted by aacadena:
Has anybody paid attention to Snyder. I know his camp has been good but what have you guys seen in the Preseason game. They said the Injury wasnt serious right?

He played above and beyond my expectations. He never looked dominant at LG to me, but at RT, he's looking pretty damn solid. I didn't notice any break downs in pass protection. His running blocking, along with the rest of the line, was great.

He actually fits the scheme great. Rachal, Heitman, and Staley are pretty mobile and are accustom to pulling, but with Jennings/Sims we've lacked that from our RT. Now, with Snyder, we have a line that is very active in run blocking.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by rob28:
and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

please excuse the terrible typing.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.

Dude just reread that. please. If the 7-3 argument is valid the so is the him playing against nobodies in those 7 wins. I love how we beat the Cardinals which he threw two picks and he should have been three. Oh wait we lost that game. Against the Broncos Smith also made a play to Taylor Jacobs for a key first down but let's blow that off too becasue according to you that whole game he only made one play. What about both Seattle games that year. Hill is in the competition because he has Not PROVING that he is better than Smith.

Your really gonna base your arguement on a QB who beats lousy teams???

"...who beats lousy teams???"

what a joke..... why are you other posters letting aacadena get to you....look at his post count....he is obviously a previous poster who got banned....but I wonder who it is....

anyway aacadena....tell me who these lousy teams were and what were the situations when we played them....were we also expected to win these games against these "lousy" teams....were we the favorites?.... how did these teams do the previous week before we played them....also what were the standings implications for these "lousy" teams when they played us.....you seem to know so much....let us know.

also these questions are not only for aacadena...anyone else can chime in......please do.

HAHAHA got banned?? AFRIKAN yeah dude. Lousy teams were 07 Bengals, 07 Bucs with the starters resting in the second half.
'08 Rams Twice. (we almost lost the second one in which we were favored)
'08 Bills (started off the year strong but died out by the time we played them not to mention JP Losman finished the game against us.)
'08 Jets (already imploding see week before we played them)
'08 Redskins (out of playoffs, last game of the season.)

Thats not exactly top notch competition. The Best defense he played against was the Redskins but what did they have to lose when they played us.

I didnt know Hill was tearing up the League agaisnt Top Defenses. Get real.