There are 163 users in the forums

NFL Network PreSeason Game Replay...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by strickac:

They both got only 1 Qtr, which doesn't give either of them many opportunities. I don't think either guy played particularly bad. They both played decently, considering.

You're right, Hill didn't showed that he deserved the job. He has repeatedly shown it during the regular season though. Aside from his one solid game against the Seahawks, Smith has never proved that he belongs with the starters.

My feelings on Smith is that he just isn't an accurate passer and he never will be. He's too inconsistant to leader a football team.

Hill gives us the best chance of winning.

What he did last season, has little to nothing to do with how he's going to play this season.

Look at Derek Anderson's stats stats in 07 and then look at them in 08. Just because a QB had a good season the year before, doesn't mean he's going to repeat it. How many times have we seen a QB have a good season, get named the starter, only to turn around and totally blow it the next season. That's something a lot of Hill supporters don't understand. Based on how he's played this pre-season, its not looking to good.

Originally posted by rob28:
linkboy cant you understand that hill and smith are both garbage? i only favor hill cuz he has played better than smith and won games. smith was the no. 1 pick he is expected to be good not hill.

Yes, I'm fully aware that both Qbs suck. However, I'm sick of the double standard that exists with 49ers fans. If Smith makes a mistake, people harp on him for it, but if Hill makes the same mistake, he gets a pass.

Like the TD example. Smith scored the TD, yet people keep saying he almost blew it. However, Hill starting from the same position failed to score a TD and he gets a pass.

Originally posted by niner4life21:

And this is why Smith should be the starter, if announced today?

No he shouldn't, but he shouldn't get harped on for it, when Shaun gets a pass for not scoring a TD from the same position.
[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM ]
Originally posted by aacadena:
Lets just wait for the Draft. Tebow, Mccoy and Bradford. Not to mention we have two first round picks

Even with a rookie, it'll be some time before they're ready to contribute. In the mean time, we'll still be having this argument.
and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

please excuse the terrible typing.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.

Dude just reread that. please. If the 7-3 argument is valid the so is the him playing against nobodies in those 7 wins. I love how we beat the Cardinals which he threw two picks and he should have been three. Oh wait we lost that game. Against the Broncos Smith also made a play to Taylor Jacobs for a key first down but let's blow that off too becasue according to you that whole game he only made one play. What about both Seattle games that year. Hill is in the competition because he has Not PROVING that he is better than Smith.

Your really gonna base your arguement on a QB who beats lousy teams???

maybe you haven't understood the fact that this is the muthaf**kin NFL and a win is a win is a win. I'm not downplaying Smith's Godlike 3 wins against good teams in 2006, but that DEFINETLY does not show that he is better than Hill. the point of the game is to WIN, and HILL has DONE that. I sure don't remember guys like you saying after Hill's wins last year that it didn't matter cuz we played " lousy" teams.
Lets just wait for the Draft. Tebow, Mccoy and Bradford. Not to mention we have two first round picks

Even with a rookie, it'll be some time before they're ready to contribute. In the mean time, we'll still be having this argument.

Not entirely true based on Big Ben, Ryan and Flacco but most likely.
Originally posted by linkboy:

They both got only 1 Qtr, which doesn't give either of them many opportunities. I don't think either guy played particularly bad. They both played decently, considering.

You're right, Hill didn't showed that he deserved the job. He has repeatedly shown it during the regular season though. Aside from his one solid game against the Seahawks, Smith has never proved that he belongs with the starters.

My feelings on Smith is that he just isn't an accurate passer and he never will be. He's too inconsistant to leader a football team.

Hill gives us the best chance of winning.

What he did last season, has little to nothing to do with how he's going to play this season.

Look at Derek Anderson's stats stats in 07 and then look at them in 08. Just because a QB had a good season the year before, doesn't mean he's going to repeat it. How many times have we seen a QB have a good season, get named the starter, only to turn around and totally blow it the next season. That's something a lot of Hill supporters don't understand. Based on how he's played this pre-season, its not looking to good.

linkboy cant you understand that hill and smith are both garbage? i only favor hill cuz he has played better than smith and won games. smith was the no. 1 pick he is expected to be good not hill.

Yes, I'm fully aware that both Qbs suck. However, I'm sick of the double standard that exists with 49ers fans. If Smith makes a mistake, people harp on him for it, but if Hill makes the same mistake, he gets a pass.

Like the TD example. Smith scored the TD, yet people keep saying he almost blew it. However, Hill starting from the same position failed to score a TD and he gets a pass.

I agree. So from that same statement, wouldn't you also agree that one quarter of Preseason football isn't an indication of how he'll play this regular season?

I agree. So from that same statement, wouldn't you also agree that one quarter of Preseason football isn't an indication of how he'll play this regular season?

It carries a bit more importance since its this season, what he's doing right now. Not much, but still more important.

Not entirely true based on Big Ben, Ryan and Flacco but most likely.

Matt Ryan stepped up like I've never seen a rookie do. That's insanely rare. Ben and Flacco had the luxury of playing behind an elite defense and solid running game. We're not quite there yet.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
good point niner4life21, i remember everyone excited about hill leading us from 3-8 to 7-9
and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.

Dude just reread that. please. If the 7-3 argument is valid the so is the him playing against nobodies in those 7 wins. I love how we beat the Cardinals which he threw two picks and he should have been three. Oh wait we lost that game. Against the Broncos Smith also made a play to Taylor Jacobs for a key first down but let's blow that off too becasue according to you that whole game he only made one play. What about both Seattle games that year. Hill is in the competition because he has Not PROVING that he is better than Smith.

maybe you haven't understood the fact that this is the muthaf**kin NFL and a win is a win is a win. I'm not downplaying Smith's Godlike 3 wins against good teams in 2006, but that DEFINETLY does not show that he is better than Hill. the point of the game is to WIN, and HILL has DONE that. I sure don't remember guys like you saying after Hill's wins last year that it didn't matter cuz we played " lousy" teams.

s**t i was happy with the wins but you act like Hill is the best thing that came along since sliced motherf**king bread. They were lousy teams and that honesty. If he truly was that great we would have beaten the Cards and the Cowboys. The Dolphins he can get a pass on that cuz of Mark Roman. Oh but wait you guys cant give Smith a f**king Break so Hill wont get one either cuz a loss is a loss. So yea he f**ked us with Miami too for not seeing Joey Porter coming off the edge for the sack. (i know it's an unrealistic thought but i just wanted you to taste some of the s**t ive been reading here.)
[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM ]

It carries a bit more importance since its this season, what he's doing right now. Not much, but still more important.

Well, I don't know, but I tend to side with the 10 regular season games. I feel like I've seen enough of his play to trust his abilities, even if he had a mediocre game yesterday.

Well, I don't know, but I tend to side with the 10 regular season games. I feel like I've seen enough of his play to trust his abilities, even if he had a mediocre game yesterday.

It seemed a little less then mediocre yesterday. the one play he disappointed me with was the Sack he took. he didnt even try to make the play. It did not seem like the regular Hill yesterday. But the Raiders played smart yesterday agaisnt him with everyone Bump and run. Why can't Nate Clements do that instead of the Ten yard cushion.

s**t i was happy with the wins but you act like Hill is the best thing that came along since sliced motherf**king bread. They were lousy teams and that honesty. If he truly was that great we would have beaten the Cards and the Cowboys. The Dolphins he can get a pass on that cuz of Mark Roman. Oh but wait you guys cant give Smith a f**king Break so Hill wont get one either cuz a loss is a loss. So yea he f**ked us with Miami too for not seeing Joey Porter coming off the edge for the sack. (i know it's an unrealistic thought but i just wanted you to taste some of the s**t ive been reading here.)

So I guess that Smith's wins against St.Louis, Detroit, Minnesota,and the Raiders don't really matter either since they were lousy teams that year, too. So essentially, by your logic, Smith went 3-13 that year, right?

It seemed a little less then mediocre yesterday. the one play he disappointed me with was the Sack he took. he didnt even try to make the play. It did not seem like the regular Hill yesterday. But the Raiders played smart yesterday agaisnt him with everyone Bump and run. Why can't Nate Clements do that instead of the Ten yard cushion.

Yeah, I hate when QBs hang on to the ball. That used to be one of my biggest complaints with Smith, but he was quick to get rid of the ball yesterday.

The thing that irritated me the most on the sack is that Marvel Smith barely even laid a hand on the pass rusher. Marvel looked so out of place in pass protection. I hope he can knock the rust off because if Snyder goes down, we're in trouble.

And if the Raiders were able to do that during a preseason game, what's that mean for the regular season. Remember, teams in the preseason play vanilla defense's. They're not showing their what they're gameplan for the regular season is. Our opponents for this season (especially in the division), were, and have been, taking notes on both of our QBs.

As I've already said, going off of what a QB did in the past, has little importance on what will happen in the future. There's been so many QBs who have one fantastic season only to totally sputter the following season. Many of them are journeymen QBs like Hill.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
davis to walker baby!
Share 49ersWebzone