There are 137 users in the forums

NFL Network PreSeason Game Replay...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by linkboy:
Just throwing this out, but Smith had first and goal from the 3 in the Broncos game and scored a TD.

Hill had first and goal from the 4 and could only get a FG.

Denver also gave Smith a free-be and he came close to blowing it.
Originally posted by rob28:
and thats what smith has done the last 5 years, fail lol

You got me there bro. wow im really stumped... Let's see here, he inherits a team that went 2-14. Does a horrible f**king rookie season ( who's our main threats at the time Kevan Barlow and Brandon LLoyd, enough said.) 06 he isnt the best but does have a decent year but most important of all shows Improvement. 07 starts off 2-1 i dont know how because our Offensive cordinator is not too bright but we found a way to win those two games. Then after that he gets a third degree seperated shoulder which he tries to play thru cuz even worst the Hoestler was Dilfer but he cant do it. (Pain p***y right) then he's sidelined for a season and a half and he failed in 5 consective years. Yup that's a failure.
Originally posted by strickac:
Hill has proven to be a solid game manager. He plays similar to Pennington. He's not going to beat you with the deep ball, but he's accurate underneath and makes great decision. Hill's decision-making is far superior to Smith's, at this point in his career.

Smith has the physical tools, but he's always failed to translate them to the field on Sundays. He's been given every opportunity to prove he's capable of leading this team, yet he continually fails/unable to take advantage of it.

I just hope that the team hurries and gives Hill their support, putting this "competition" to rest. Everyone knows that the job is Hill's to lose, yet they say it's an even race because they want to protect Alex's feelings and allow him to feel like he genuinely has a chance. The sooner we declare Hill the starter, the better the team will be. Every opportunity that Smith receives with the 1st-team offense is one less snap Hill receives, which we can't really afford, IMO.

If Hill plays like he did last night in the regular season, he's not going to last long. He was terrible (his one good drive was handing off to Coffee and he failed to score a TD with first and goal).

People keep saying that Smith hasn't done anything to take the job from Hill, but IMO, Hill hasn't really done anything to deserve it. He had a perfect opportunity last night and screwed it up. Hell, even scoring a TD on that drive would have cemented the job for him.

What's going to happen when in the regular season he starts facing defense's that aren't as vanilla as they are in the regular season. I don't give a damn about how he played in 07 or 08, I'm focusing on what he's doing now. If he keeps up what he's doing now, we're going to have Derek Anderson on our hands.

Just throwing this out, but Smith had first and goal from the 3 in the Broncos game and scored a TD.

What if scenario, he scored. Don't care if he almost screwed it up or not, he still got it.

Hill had 3 plays from the same distance and only came away with 3 points.

I'll take a QB almost blowing a Td then having 3 plays and failing.
[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM ]
dp.
[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM ]
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

please excuse the terrible typing.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.
Hill has proven to be a solid game manager. He plays similar to Pennington. He's not going to beat you with the deep ball, but he's accurate underneath and makes great decision. Hill's decision-making is far superior to Smith's, at this point in his career.

Smith has the physical tools, but he's always failed to translate them to the field on Sundays. He's been given every opportunity to prove he's capable of leading this team, yet he continually fails/unable to take advantage of it.

I just hope that the team hurries and gives Hill their support, putting this "competition" to rest. Everyone knows that the job is Hill's to lose, yet they say it's an even race because they want to protect Alex's feelings and allow him to feel like he genuinely has a chance. The sooner we declare Hill the starter, the better the team will be. Every opportunity that Smith receives with the 1st-team offense is one less snap Hill receives, which we can't really afford, IMO.

If Hill plays like he did last night in the regular season, he's not going to last long. He was terrible (his one good drive was handing off to Coffee and he failed to score a TD with first and goal).

People keep saying that Smith hasn't done anything to take the job from Hill, but IMO, Hill hasn't really done anything to deserve it. He had a perfect opportunity last night and screwed it up. Hell, even scoring a TD on that drive would have cemented the job for him.

What's going to happen when in the regular season he starts facing defense's that aren't as vanilla as they are in the regular season. I don't give a damn about how he played in 07 or 08, I'm focusing on what he's doing now. If he keeps up what he's doing now, we're going to have Derek Anderson on our hands.

What if scenario, he scored. Don't care if he almost screwed it up or not, he still got it.

Hill got one opportunity to throw on that series in the redzone.....the other two were runs.... just saying....
  • rob28
  • Veteran
linkboy cant you understand that hill and smith are both garbage? i only favor hill cuz he has played better than smith and won games. smith was the no. 1 pick he is expected to be good not hill.

They both got only 1 Qtr, which doesn't give either of them many opportunities. I don't think either guy played particularly bad. They both played decently, considering.

You're right, Hill didn't showed that he deserved the job. He has repeatedly shown it during the regular season though. Aside from his one solid game against the Seahawks, Smith has never proved that he belongs with the starters.

My feelings on Smith is that he just isn't an accurate passer and he never will be. He's too inconsistant to leader a football team.

Hill gives us the best chance of winning.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think both Qbs looked mediocre at best. I am afraid we need an upgrade in that area to even contend for a playoff spot unless 9-7 can win the division again. Jeff Garcia looked better than Hill and Smith. Running game looked great but that was against Oakland.

Hill got one opportunity to throw on that series in the redzone.....the other two were runs.... just saying....

Both QBs had one throw on their respective series, one scored a TD, one didn't.

and one bad preaseason game doesnt change the fact that hill has been our only efficent qb. 7-3 as a starter, saved us from 2 win seasons the last 2 years.

7-3 against nobodies. His only win over a Winning team came against the Bucs and that's cuz they rested their starters in the second half.

please excuse the terrible typing.

Stop bringing up the " he played against nobodies" arguement. This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by, no matter who you are and who you play. The only good teams I saw Smith beat was Denver in 2006 and Seattle twice. Hill beat the Jets last season and the Skins.... So that makes it Smith's 3 to Hill's 2....and Smith has played what.....22 more games?

Then Stop bringing up the 7-3. If he so good why is he in a QB Comp for the starting posistion. The Jets imploded by the time we played them and The Skins weren't going to the playoffs. But Smith Did beat a Denver team who was going to go the playoffs if they beat us and guess where they ended up?

Why is the 7-3 arguement invalid? It shows that he has won 70 percent of his games, as opposed to Smith's 11-21......Don't give a damn about who played who, cuz this is the NFL. And how can you say that the Skins games doesn't mean anything since they couldn't make it to the playoffs? You don't think those guys were trying to win the f**king game, the same way we were? You're really gonna base your arguement off of one game in 2006 in which Smith beat Denver, with his best play being a dump off to Moran Norris for a TD?

And the reason that Hill is in the competetion for the starting position is because Smith was a number 1 overall pick. Teams don't just give up on a player after 4 years, and neither have I, but I seriously doubt that he can be something in this league.

Dude just reread that. please. If the 7-3 argument is valid the so is the him playing against nobodies in those 7 wins. I love how we beat the Cardinals which he threw two picks and he should have been three. Oh wait we lost that game. Against the Broncos Smith also made a play to Taylor Jacobs for a key first down but let's blow that off too becasue according to you that whole game he only made one play. What about both Seattle games that year. Hill is in the competition because he has Not PROVING that he is better than Smith.

Your really gonna base your arguement on a QB who beats lousy teams???

Both QBs had one throw on their respective series, one scored a TD, one didn't.

And this is why Smith should be the starter, if announced today?
  • rob28
  • Veteran
i agree bobS we need to trade for garcia!
Originally posted by BobS:
I think both Qbs looked mediocre at best. I am afraid we need an upgrade in that area to even contend for a playoff spot unless 9-7 can win the division again. Jeff Garcia looked better than Hill and Smith. Running game looked great but that was against Oakland.

Yeah, and Garcia has been available in FA several times in the past 5 years. It drives me nuts that we never signed him. I love the way he plays. He's very underrated, IMO.

If the Raiders start Jamarcus over Garcia, they deserve to lose every game this season.
Lets just wait for the Draft. Tebow, Mccoy and Bradford. Not to mention we have two first round picks
Until then one of these f**kers will have to do cuz we need a Superbowl so we can say f**k the Steelers.
[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:40 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone