LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Sabrason on this one thing... JTO was apparently the best guy to start that season. Neither Alex nor Hill knew the intricacies of Martz's scheme, and they didn't look good early on. It didn't help that Alex was still injured, and Hill's arm is... less than strong. JTO was gonna be the guy to start things off while the others (mainly Alex) continued absorbing the playbook. I was screaming conspiracy from the start, haha. Really thought that Martz just wanted his boy, and Nolan was only too happy to stomp on Alex again with his bitterness. If JTO was that far along on understanding the Martz scheme, and Alex and Hill (for whatever reasons) looked clearly confused, then I can see JTO starting as the right call. He actually surprised a lot of us with his ability to move the ball down field in chunks. He just couldn't correct the turnovers, and ended up doing more harm than good.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would (and have) agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple. Therefore, Martz's qb selection process was standard and I'd argue that, if he favored JTO, he did so primarily b/c he knew that JTO had the best command of the system - which he did making him the right guy to start.

I agree with your last sentence and that's all I'm saying. JTO had the niner fan base stunned early on but did end up doing more harm than good. However, a lot of factors contributed to that particularly the porous OL coupled with the 7 step drops. With decent OL protection those 7 step drops would not have been nearly the problem they were.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. The homers have never acknowledged that as they simply focus on the JTO-hating and the fact that MS was so "brilliant" for pulling him. I am one of maybe two fans here who have made the point about the problematic OL contributing to JTO'd downfall. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 25, 2009 at 23:40:32 ]
Originally posted by Sabrason:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Sabrason on this one thing... JTO was apparently the best guy to start that season. Neither Alex nor Hill knew the intricacies of Martz's scheme, and they didn't look good early on. It didn't help that Alex was still injured, and Hill's arm is... less than strong. JTO was gonna be the guy to start things off while the others (mainly Alex) continued absorbing the playbook. I was screaming conspiracy from the start, haha. Really thought that Martz just wanted his boy, and Nolan was only too happy to stomp on Alex again with his bitterness. If JTO was that far along on understanding the Martz scheme, and Alex and Hill (for whatever reasons) looked clearly confused, then I can see JTO starting as the right call. He actually surprised a lot of us with his ability to move the ball down field in chunks. He just couldn't correct the turnovers, and ended up doing more harm than good.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple.

I agree with your last sentence and that's all I'm saying. JTO had the niner fan base stunned early on but did end up doing more harm than good. However, a lot of factors contributed to that particularly the porous OL coupled with the 7 step drops. With decent OL protection those 7 step drops would not have been nearly the problem they were.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Can you provide a link for this information? You repeat it frequently, and I know others have asked for the source, but it would be nice to know where this comes from. MM? MB? Who?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No he wasnt because he had no pocket presence, stared down his receivers, routinely threw into double coverage, and left the pocket too quickly. the saints had him figured out by the 4th game and their d was garbage against worst offensive lines and other bad qbs. sorry but he was a crappy qb and youre making excuses for the guy. hill took 9 less sacks in a larger amount of playing time. a few times jto ran into the defender without the defense even having to do anything. he looked like a mobile version of the 07 trent dilfer.

Willis, it's not up for debate. You're proving how little you know about the standard process of qb selection in the NFL. Let it go.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Can you provide a link for this information? You repeat it frequently, and I know others have asked for the source, but it would be nice to know where this comes from. MM? MB? Who?

For you, NO.

For you, NO.

Lol. That seems a bit petty, don't you think?

So, you don't have a link, and are just making stuff up. Isn't that a violation of the rules, too?

For you, NO.

So, you don't have a link, and are just making stuff up. Isn't that a violation of the rules, too?

Duh, of course. I make stuff up all the time just to support my comments. Nothing I say is really true.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 25, 2009 at 23:57:42 ]

For you, NO.

Duh, of course. I make stuff up all the time just to support my comments. Nothing I say is really true.

Yes, we know. Its okay. Recognizing one's mistakes is the first step in correcting them.
No he wasnt because he had no pocket presence, stared down his receivers, routinely threw into double coverage, and left the pocket too quickly. the saints had him figured out by the 4th game and their d was garbage against worst offensive lines and other bad qbs. sorry but he was a crappy qb and youre making excuses for the guy. hill took 9 less sacks in a larger amount of playing time. a few times jto ran into the defender without the defense even having to do anything. he looked like a mobile version of the 07 trent dilfer.
Willis, it's not up for debate. You're proving how little you know about the standard process of qb selection in the NFL. Let it go.

iirc the comment that set me off was when you said jto should still be around. i apologize if im wrong and you didnt change the argument but thats how i remember it.

and you still havent answered why when hill or smith had a bad game its their fault but when jto had 4 in a row its everyone elses.

iirc the comment that set me off was when you said jto should still be around. i apologize if im wrong and you didnt change the argument but thats how i remember it.

and you still havent answered why when hill or smith had a bad game its their fault but when jto had 4 in a row its everyone elses.

Never said that but it's too much trouble for me to get into. You really need to pay attention before saying things like that. Read through my comments in the JTO discussion and then I'll accept your apology if you ask me in a nice way.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 26, 2009 at 00:27:28 ]
Well since you wont accept my apology i take it back because i checked and on reply 187 you blamed the ol for his demise and state that had they done better he wouldve continued his gunslinging ways. but smith had played with worse ols but you dont absolve him of any blame and with a similar ol shaun hill had success. you blamed martzs 7 step drops for jtos failures but state sing is a lunatic in a previous post and thats one reason sing fired martz.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would (and have) agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple. Therefore, Martz's qb selection process was standard and I'd argue that, if he favored JTO, he did so primarily b/c he knew that JTO had the best command of the system - which he did making him the right guy to start.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. The homers have never acknowledged that as they simply focus on the JTO-hating and the fact that MS was so "brilliant" for pulling him. I am one of maybe two fans here who have made the point about the problematic OL contributing to JTO'd downfall. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Maybe he'll go to the Superbowl with the bengals O-line.

JTO has no clue that a major fundamental of qb play is to tuck the ball in when protection breaks down. One of many flaws.
At the risk of losing your greatly important pride in me, Sabby, I have to add something. JTO brought his misfortune on himself far more than the OL can be blamed. In 7 step drops, yes, this will make OL struggle more with handling the speed of edge rushers. BUT... JTO would be so focused keying on a spot downfield that he failed to show enough peripheral vision for rushers. He sucked mightily in stepping back up in the pocket to avoid outside rushers, and he had horrible ball protection. Alex had far worse OL protection, yet everyone calls that an Alexcuse, so I see no valid reason to give JTO a pass on his failures.
Hey Oldman, just thought you'd like to know that I got kicked up to 90% warning for calling one of your two friends an idiot. And, I said it to you, not them. I'm assuming one of the little b***hes complained.

I'm very close to being out of here for good because these moderators are just the most inane, incompetent fools I think I've ever seen run a board discussion.
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Once again Brodiefan,you are the standard of logic and courtesy !

And speaking of comparing

I fear if we "compare" the rest of our argumentative and illogical posts to the high standard of your posts,most of us would indeed come up short. (especially you know who.lol ).

And I still believe that S. Hill will be the starting QB and I believe that sing already knows Hill is his man (unless Alex surprises in a big way or unless Hill falls way way back from his previous level or is injured).
According to the National Football Post, "everyone inside the building" at 49ers headquarters is pulling for Alex Smith to win the starting quarterback job.

Smith is undeniably more talented than incumbent Shaun Hill, but Hill's game-day results have been far superior. While GM Scot McCloughan is a noted Smith booster, coach Mike Singletary is intent on letting this battle play out and going with the best man for the job.
Share 49ersWebzone