There are 182 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Those are just O'Sulliexcuses and Hillexcuses.

Of course the front office is pulling for Smith. They drafted the guy number one overall and don't want to look like idiots.

That being said, I'm a full-fledged Shaun Hill supporter. Does that mean I'll root against Smith? Of course not. Whoever can best lead this team to the promised land is the one deserving of the job. I just feel deep down that Hill gives us the best chance bar-none. I loved reading Barrows articles on him. This guy has gotten no love from the get-go. Instead of having that negativity adversely affect him and diminish his will, he's turned it into motivation to prove the critics wrong and succeed. I love that. It's very difficult to constantly have people telling you you're no good and yet consistently prove them wrong and persevere. I have boat loads of respect for this guy and that, to me, seems like the type of mentality and character you want in your QB. A guy who rises to the occasion when the chips are down and people are doubting. That's the type of mindset that winners have. As everyone says, he's not much to look at. Still, the intangibles he possesses are worth their weight in gold.

Here's to you Shaun Hill, may you keep on fighting and winning in order to get your richly deserved day in the sun.
Well as you all know im a big smith supporter. But i too will root for hill, if he wins the job. I have nothing against the guy whatsoever and am not gonna knock him for his arm. although it was funny as hell during the season when he either completed or didnt complete a pass, and the 49er commentators made fun of his spirals, or lack there of. That s**t was hilarious.

But on a more serious note i look at it like this. i cant talk about the kids pocket presence, arm strength, ability to read a defense, etc, because he hasnt played healthy in almost 2 years. And then since he´s been back whether his doubters or not like it, he has shown some of those same intangibles that hill has with a better zip, but like i said it´s still to early because it was only OTA´s.

If during this battle, he not only exhibits those intangibles that hill has, but actually proves that his physical skills do make more of a difference, than you have to give the job to the kid. Regardless of if your a hill supporter or not. We all say that we want whats best for the team, and this is a new offense to both men regardless if hill played last season. When smith played in 06 he had two key playmakers at his time that hill had last year in Gore, and VD, both men that played a big part then and now. Hills advantage is that he played last season, in my opinion period. nothing about the skewed 7-3 record over a 4 year span. And smith has a little edge i feel because raye´s offense is very similar to norv´s in which the kid had his best season.

i just hope that we all as fans, support the winner of the competition and dont root for the bench person if their qb isn´t chosen. As true fans i hope we support whomever starts by the end of the third game. I do wonder tho, whomever wins the competition, i bet you there will be a post thats gonna read, how long until this guy takes his job. Call me crazy, but hey i guess it´s just a part of the game.

Either way go smith and hill, and ya´ll betta bring ya´ll a game to camp, cause i dont wanna hear any excuses from the loser of the competition.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Sabrason on this one thing... JTO was apparently the best guy to start that season. Neither Alex nor Hill knew the intricacies of Martz's scheme, and they didn't look good early on. It didn't help that Alex was still injured, and Hill's arm is... less than strong. JTO was gonna be the guy to start things off while the others (mainly Alex) continued absorbing the playbook. I was screaming conspiracy from the start, haha. Really thought that Martz just wanted his boy, and Nolan was only too happy to stomp on Alex again with his bitterness. If JTO was that far along on understanding the Martz scheme, and Alex and Hill (for whatever reasons) looked clearly confused, then I can see JTO starting as the right call. He actually surprised a lot of us with his ability to move the ball down field in chunks. He just couldn't correct the turnovers, and ended up doing more harm than good.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would (and have) agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple. Therefore, Martz's qb selection process was standard and I'd argue that, if he favored JTO, he did so primarily b/c he knew that JTO had the best command of the system - which he did making him the right guy to start.

I agree with your last sentence and that's all I'm saying. JTO had the niner fan base stunned early on but did end up doing more harm than good. However, a lot of factors contributed to that particularly the porous OL coupled with the 7 step drops. With decent OL protection those 7 step drops would not have been nearly the problem they were.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. The homers have never acknowledged that as they simply focus on the JTO-hating and the fact that MS was so "brilliant" for pulling him. I am one of maybe two fans here who have made the point about the problematic OL contributing to JTO'd downfall. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Yeah . . . again . . . when did this season changing rip job happen?

We all know Warhop was canned along with Nolan after the NY Giants game, but I can't readily find any report that states Singletary ripped Chris Foerster and the O-Line as soon as he took over . . . or even shortly thereafter. Like most people . . . err . . . excuse me homers on this board I follow Niner news on a daily basis during the season and I can't remember this alleged milestone nor can I find any reference to it . . . outside your posts.

Help me out here . . . pretty please with a cherry on top . . . ANYBODY

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 27, 2009 at 07:12:48 ]
I'm afraid I have to agree with Sabrason on this one thing... JTO was apparently the best guy to start that season. Neither Alex nor Hill knew the intricacies of Martz's scheme, and they didn't look good early on. It didn't help that Alex was still injured, and Hill's arm is... less than strong. JTO was gonna be the guy to start things off while the others (mainly Alex) continued absorbing the playbook. I was screaming conspiracy from the start, haha. Really thought that Martz just wanted his boy, and Nolan was only too happy to stomp on Alex again with his bitterness. If JTO was that far along on understanding the Martz scheme, and Alex and Hill (for whatever reasons) looked clearly confused, then I can see JTO starting as the right call. He actually surprised a lot of us with his ability to move the ball down field in chunks. He just couldn't correct the turnovers, and ended up doing more harm than good.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would (and have) agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple. Therefore, Martz's qb selection process was standard and I'd argue that, if he favored JTO, he did so primarily b/c he knew that JTO had the best command of the system - which he did making him the right guy to start.

I agree with your last sentence and that's all I'm saying. JTO had the niner fan base stunned early on but did end up doing more harm than good. However, a lot of factors contributed to that particularly the porous OL coupled with the 7 step drops. With decent OL protection those 7 step drops would not have been nearly the problem they were.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. The homers have never acknowledged that as they simply focus on the JTO-hating and the fact that MS was so "brilliant" for pulling him. I am one of maybe two fans here who have made the point about the problematic OL contributing to JTO'd downfall. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Yeah . . . again . . . when did this season changing rip job happen?

We all know Warhop was canned along with Nolan after the NY Giants game, but I can't readily find any report that states Singletary ripped Chris Foerster and the O-Line as soon as he took over . . . or even shortly thereafter. Like most people . . . err . . . excuse me homers on this board I follow Niner news on a daily basis during the season and I can't remember this alleged milestone nor can I find any reference to it . . . outside your posts.

Help me out here . . . pretty please with a cherry on top . . . ANYBODY

+1
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Can you provide a link for this information? You repeat it frequently, and I know others have asked for the source, but it would be nice to know where this comes from. MM? MB? Who?

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Can you provide a link for this information? You repeat it frequently, and I know others have asked for the source, but it would be nice to know where this comes from. MM? MB? Who?

For you, NO.

Lol. That seems a bit petty, don't you think?

So, you don't have a link, and are just making stuff up. Isn't that a violation of the rules, too?

Duh, of course. I make stuff up all the time just to support my comments. Nothing I say is really true.

Maybe this explains it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
on alex smith: norv had a very high opinion of alex and you know that. meyers quote was taken out of context. he said he was non functional until he hd a grasp on the system. he didnt say he was nonfunctional period. and the mechanical flaws jaws talked about didnt actually develop until the 3 ligaments were torn except for the leg lock. and throwing a football without any ligaments connecting your shoulder is like trying to dunk a basketball without your pcl, acl, and mcl. one of the reasons the 9ers drafted him was because he had a strong arm.

I'm well aware of the entire Meyer's quote and it turned out to be correct no matter what. Smith being "non-functional" or "non-functional until he has a complete grasp of a system" is the same thing so stop splitting hairs. The point is he was said to be non-functional and ended up being largely NON-FUNCTIONAL so thank you Urban Meyer for that valuable insight. He obviously knew his qb very well.

Smith displayed many of his infamous shortcomings before he got injured and, more recently, displayed his continued poor touch on the ball in a video of one of his March 2009 practice sessions that was posted here a few months ago. He was over-throwing or throwing to the wrong shoulder of the WRs - as usual. How much more evidence do you need?

Am I to believe that he is somehow going to come out 3 months later guns blazing and be a completely different and totally transformed qb?? Hey let's all hope so but come on, it's enough already. I'm personally waving the white flag of surrender here.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 27, 2009 at 11:41:21 ]
on alex smith: norv had a very high opinion of alex and you know that. meyers quote was taken out of context. he said he was non functional until he hd a grasp on the system. he didnt say he was nonfunctional period. and the mechanical flaws jaws talked about didnt actually develop until the 3 ligaments were torn except for the leg lock. and throwing a football without any ligaments connecting your shoulder is like trying to dunk a basketball without your pcl, acl, and mcl. one of the reasons the 9ers drafted him was because he had a strong arm.

I'm well aware of the entire Meyer's quote and it turned out to be correct no matter what. Smith being "non-functional" or "non-functional until he has a complete grasp of a system" is the same thing so stop splitting hairs. The point is he was said to be non-functional and ended up being largely NON-FUNCTIONAL so thank you Urban Meyer for that valuable insight. He obviously knew his qb very well.

Smith displayed many of his infamous shortcomings before he got injured and, more recently, displayed his continued poor touch on the ball in a video of one of his March 2009 practice sessions that was posted here a few months ago. He was over-throwing or throwing to the wrong shoulder of the WRs - as usual. How much more evidence do you need?

Am I to believe that he is somehow going to come out 3 months later guns blazing and be a completely different and totally transformed qb?? Hey let's all hope so but come on, it's enough already. I'm personally waving the white flag of surrender here.

Pretty sure that no one really cares what YOU think or what you are waving around at this point. Don't you get that? Don't you get that no matter how much you stomp your feet, fold your arms across your chest, and pout... it won't change a damn thing to the plans that McC and Sing will bring forth? Get with the program or pack your bags, but this incessant nonsense that you know so much better than those in charge is played out... and only makes you look like a... whoa... better stop there... You have a good day now, fellow... 9er?... fan.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 27, 2009 at 12:14:39 ]

Can you provide a link to this video of which you speak?

Or is this like the information you mentioned in your previous posts about Singletary ripping into the OL: "made up" to use your words? Where's the LINK to that information????

Or is this like the information you mentioned in your previous posts about Singletary ripping into the OL: "made up" to use your words? Where's the LINK to that information????

Yeah that was MARCH. Sab, did you read the reports from May and June. Smith was doing pretty well. Lets give the full story, not just the portions that fit our argument.
Sweet, i won the argument.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Yeah that was MARCH. Sab, did you read the reports from May and June. Smith was doing pretty well. Lets give the full story, not just the portions that fit our argument.

This is what he does,he only presents information that backs up his point,forget the 90% of the rest that actually shoots his claims full of holes.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

This is what he does,he only presents information that backs up his point,forget the 90% of the rest that actually shoots his claims full of holes.

And sometimes, apparently, Sabrason just makes stuff up, according to him.

Where's the link to the story about Singletary ripping into the OL for their lack of pass protection????? Sabrason tells the story several times in this thread. He's been asked to provide a link, by two board members, several times each, in this thread and he either flat refuses to do so, or ignores the request.

Neither SonocoNinerFan nor I have ever seen anything about such an incident, and Sabrason won't provide a link.

Could it be that there is no link, that said incident did't occur? If that's true, then Sabrason's behavior in making up such a story is pretty outrageous, IMHO.

LMAO. How the hell is "nonfunctional" and "nonfunctional until he learns the system" splitting hairs. It's sure as hell not. That's the weakest argument that i've heard.

If anything, the quote implies that Smith isn't a good quarterback until he's comfortable in the system. Which is what we have definitely found out.

If you can't spot a difference between Smith's play when he was injured and when he wasn't, then i don't know what to say. His whole mechanics was screwed as he trying to compensate for his shoulder. Even Julian Peterson came out and said that it was obvious Smith was playing in pain.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone