LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Agreed.
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Sabrason on this one thing... JTO was apparently the best guy to start that season. Neither Alex nor Hill knew the intricacies of Martz's scheme, and they didn't look good early on. It didn't help that Alex was still injured, and Hill's arm is... less than strong. JTO was gonna be the guy to start things off while the others (mainly Alex) continued absorbing the playbook. I was screaming conspiracy from the start, haha. Really thought that Martz just wanted his boy, and Nolan was only too happy to stomp on Alex again with his bitterness. If JTO was that far along on understanding the Martz scheme, and Alex and Hill (for whatever reasons) looked clearly confused, then I can see JTO starting as the right call. He actually surprised a lot of us with his ability to move the ball down field in chunks. He just couldn't correct the turnovers, and ended up doing more harm than good.

OM9, you make me proud. Don't be "afraid" to agree with me. I know what I'm talking about but it's not like it's difficult to understand and any knowledgable fan would (and have) agree that it is not even up for debate. That is how starting qbs are chosen on EVERY team. The qb who knows thte system the best and outplays the others is the starter - simple. Therefore, Martz's qb selection process was standard and I'd argue that, if he favored JTO, he did so primarily b/c he knew that JTO had the best command of the system - which he did making him the right guy to start.

I agree with your last sentence and that's all I'm saying. JTO had the niner fan base stunned early on but did end up doing more harm than good. However, a lot of factors contributed to that particularly the porous OL coupled with the 7 step drops. With decent OL protection those 7 step drops would not have been nearly the problem they were.

Remember, as soon as MS took over he absolutely ripped the OL and OL coach for their poor protection of JTO which proves my point. The homers have never acknowledged that as they simply focus on the JTO-hating and the fact that MS was so "brilliant" for pulling him. I am one of maybe two fans here who have made the point about the problematic OL contributing to JTO'd downfall. Btw, I still think JTO is more physically gifted than Smith or Hill and believe he could still play well behind a solid OL.

Yeah . . . again . . . when did this season changing rip job happen?

We all know Warhop was canned along with Nolan after the NY Giants game, but I can't readily find any report that states Singletary ripped Chris Foerster and the O-Line as soon as he took over . . . or even shortly thereafter. Like most people . . . err . . . excuse me homers on this board I follow Niner news on a daily basis during the season and I can't remember this alleged milestone nor can I find any reference to it . . . outside your posts.

Help me out here . . . pretty please with a cherry on top.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 26, 2009 at 13:27:01 ]
Hey Oldman, just thought you'd like to know that I got kicked up to 90% warning for calling one of your two friends an idiot. And, I said it to you, not them. I'm assuming one of the little b***hes complained.

I'm very close to being out of here for good because these moderators are just the most inane, incompetent fools I think I've ever seen run a board discussion.

Awl man.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Hey Oldman, just thought you'd like to know that I got kicked up to 90% warning for calling one of your two friends an idiot. And, I said it to you, not them. I'm assuming one of the little b***hes complained.

I'm very close to being out of here for good because these moderators are just the most inane, incompetent fools I think I've ever seen run a board discussion.

Awl man.

Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Awl man.

Don't start..
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame

Nice prediction...

Wait, I'm trying to understand this. Are you saying that you called someone else an idiot, but because you were telling me that they were idiots instead of telling them that they were idiots, you figured to not get warned? I'm so confused... I'm an idiot (can I call myself an idiot?, haha)

Leave BrodieFan alone!!! He's one of the best posters you have here! .... damn... too late!

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 26, 2009 at 13:11:06 ]
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A

How to Win Friends and Influence People....

we hardly knew you, BrodieFan

[ Edited by indianajim on Jul 26, 2009 at 16:42:02 ]
Originally posted by indianajim:

....???
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by indianajim:

....???

fixed

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by volniner:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Uh. Probably not going to say.

Uh, probably because there is no one.

Ok man. But just so you know I'm not one of those die hard message board fans or just looking for someone to kiss my ass because I know someone. I have been a niner fan my entire life and got lucky and one of my best friends became a niner and that's great for me. I also just want to bring some accurate info to this board for people to discuss. Take my info however you want but if you can only criticize my posts then don't read the damn things.

Well, if you're gonna post stuff like that, saying that someone TOLD YOU that Alex is gonna be given the starting job, you're just asking for someone to call bulls**t. I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time.

PA9er is absolutely correct! If you are going to make a statement that you KNOW that Alex is going to be named the starter, then you should identify the source of your information, because by your statement you are saying that Mike Singletary is lying to everyone when he says no decision has yet been made.

Sing's entire character is based on telling it like it is, that is, telling the truth. If Sing had decided on Alex then he would say so. He is not another Mike Nolan, who lied through his teeth.

I trust Sing's character more than your unsubstantiated statement.

Question: since you seem to think you have insider's knowledge about this, would you be willing to bet against those of us who believe Hill will be named the starter?

I am a journalist. I look for independent corroboration of otherwise unsubstantiated claims. Your claim has not been echoed by anyone, anywhere. No leaks, no intimations, no suggestions from anyone that Alex has been anointed as the starter.

If Sing is who he appears to be (and I for one believe he is), then no decision has yet been made as to who will start, but Hill has the edge.

Like I said before, I am going to trust Sing over you.

Classic post my man. Journalist are the number one source of posting whatever bulls**t that gets them noticed. Nice.

...So you are a journalist too then??

As if on cue, Matt Bowen of the National Football Post writes that everyone in Santa Clara is pulling for Alex Smith to win the starting job this year. By "everyone," I'm guessing Bowen means the 49ers' front office, and in particular GM Scot McCloughan, who, after all, drafted Smith No. 1 overall in 2005.

BeeRows

All you all hating on Vol should apologize. he was just saying what everyone at 9er team quarters have been saying for a while now. And now its leaking out to the media.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Well since you wont accept my apology i take it back because i checked and on reply 187 you blamed the ol for his demise and state that had they done better he wouldve continued his gunslinging ways. but smith had played with worse ols but you dont absolve him of any blame and with a similar ol shaun hill had success. you blamed martzs 7 step drops for jtos failures but state sing is a lunatic in a previous post and thats one reason sing fired martz.

Oh, I'll accept your initial apology. I stated in whatever post that JTO made his fair share of mistakes but that the porous OL played a big part in his demise as well. Gore's numbers have declined over the last few years in part for the same reason. It all starts in the trenches with OL, we all know the niner OL has been a problem so it shouldn't be that difficult to agree with.

Yeah, I think that JTO could've kept up his performance for the most part had OL protection not broken down forcing him to run for his life almost every play. In the first few games, he proved that he could play behind good protection so why wouldn't you think that would've continued had the OL held up?

Smith might've played behind a bad OL but he has well-documented and massive inherent problems playing the position. Problems that were first highlighted by Meyers (who called him "non-functional") before he ever played an NFL game then graphically illustrated by Jaws (who discussed his horrible mechanics and throwing motion) and subsequently covered in numerous official articles on this site where his lack of pocket presence, awareness, inability to process the field of play quickly in real time, his inability to avoid pressure and sacks and his lack of touch and accuracy on his throws were all discussed in detail. Nolan's poor handling and mismanagement of him only further contributed to the problem.

Turner and Martz were also well aware of his shortcomings that existed well before he got injured. JTO, on the other hand, proved he was clearly more physically gifted than Smith, proved he could be productive on the field and didn't have the problems Smith does which is why I place the majority of blame on Smith and his dysfunctional problems.

Yeah, I think MS is a bit of a weirdo and his pants-dropping incident along with his ridiculous ranting and raving that made Letterman proved it. He's embarrassed himself and the entire organization before ever coaching a game as HC. IMO, no OC who orchestrated the kind of improvement that Martz did would ever be fired from any other team 7 step drops or not. Every OC makes mistakes which are addressed accordingly before moving on. Surely, far less successful 1st-year OC's have made mistakes but did not get fired after one season because of them. That, along with MS not being qualified to fire a guy like Martz (despite his "HC" position) is the reason for my opinion.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 26, 2009 at 21:06:19 ]
on alex smith: norv had a very high opinion of alex and you know that. meyers quote was taken out of context. he said he was non functional until he hd a grasp on the system. he didnt say he was nonfunctional period. and the mechanical flaws jaws talked about didnt actually develop until the 3 ligaments were torn except for the leg lock. and throwing a football without any ligaments connecting your shoulder is like trying to dunk a basketball without your pcl, acl, and mcl. one of the reasons the 9ers drafted him was because he had a strong arm.

on singletary: those guys needed a kick in the ass and you know it. you even said so yourself. jim mora got mad and made the infamous playoffs speach but that didnt cripple the colts franchise. our guys were basically inmates running the asylum, and it only took him one game to get the team back.

on jto, yea i know the ol brought down his level of play but they did so for alex and shaun too so you cant give him much of a pass for that. his main problem was he couldnt read a defense. he stared down his receivers, threw into double coverages, and didnt really seem to go through his progressions. the ol cant fix whats in his head. i agree on some of your points but io the end i disagree.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jul 26, 2009 at 22:13:29 ]
I am conflicted on my opinion of who will win the job. I really cannot wait for August 14 to see what they both do.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
on alex smith: norv had a very high opinion of alex and you know that. meyers quote was taken out of context. he said he was non functional until he hd a grasp on the system. he didnt say he was nonfunctional period. and the mechanical flaws jaws talked about didnt actually develop until the 3 ligaments were torn except for the leg lock. and throwing a football without any ligaments connecting your shoulder is like trying to dunk a basketball without your pcl, acl, and mcl. one of the reasons the 9ers drafted him was because he had a strong arm.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone