There are 197 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2009 49ers acccording to Football Outsiders...

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
In response to the two posts above:
1) Yes, a win is a win. Good teams capitalize on other teams struggling. My point was that the team might play better this year, and still only come up with 7 wins. Does that make them a better team in the win-lose column? No. However, did a qualitatively better performance indicate that a future .500 season or higher is around the corner? More likely.
2) The problem with defeating only teams that are the weak stepsisters of the NFL (the Niners played 5 games against 3 of the 4 worst teams in football last season), or those crashing and burning, is that these are not the teams we must beat to be a contender, or even considered a good team. To be a good team, you must beat the weak teams of the NFL, but also show that you can compete against the better teams. That did not happen in 2008.

Our victories came over:
The worst team in the NFL: Lions
The second worst team in the NFL (2 victories): Rams
The fourth worst team in the NFL: Seahawks
The eleventh worst team in the NFL: Bills
The thirteenth worst team: The Redskins
The 17th worst team: The Jets

The Jets were the only winning team we defeated (9-7), struggled at the end of the season, and they subsequently fired their coach.

As stated before, the Niners have not made substantial upgrades this offseason to automatically make one think that they will be better in 2009. We have possibily added two starters, a RT that is currently recovering from injury; and a fullback. Our top rookie is currently injured, and will probably hold out for some time at camp under contractual issues, and the rest are reserves. The team did not address the pass rush, has lost a starting CB, and still has a QB competition.

It is easy to look at our team optimistically. Every team's fans will complain about their ranking by publications. Nobody ever states: "They have us graded too high". However, somebody has to be the 32nd team in the NFL, and somebody has to finish with a 5-11 or 6-10 record. The Niners have done very little to assure the rest of the NFL that they are incapable of posting such a record. So, while I believe five or six wins is slightly low (I have them with 7 wins in 2009 right now), it is also very possible.

The one thing your stats don't point out, we had some hard fought loses against some very good teams.

The lose to the Dolphins: Clearly we could have won that game, but when Synder went down Simms came in and was a huge liability. Don't forget the lack luster running of Foster, because Gore was out. We should have beat Miami and only lost in the last minute.

The lose to the Eagles: Up 9 late in the game. Martz calls for JTO'Suckavin to thrown a deep ball over the middle instead of sticking with the run.

The lose to the Cards: Once again Melt Down Martz calls a dive play 3 yards out using Michael Robinson of all people.

Not to mention Nowin was the coach for the first half of the season when we lost to NE, NYG and NO.

Take it how you want, but sometimes you have to watch the whole game, because stats dont tell the whole story.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 20, 2009 at 12:50 AM ]
I love it. Objective statistical analysis from a niner fan who also predicts not-so-great things from the team under MS - not that it's difficult to come to that conclusion since myself and several others have done so without even reviewing all of the supporting stats mentioned in the article. It's looking more and more like the "trolls" might know what they're talking about.
Originally posted by Sabrason:
I love it. Objective statistical analysis from a niner fan who also predicts not-so-great things from the team under MS - not that it's difficult to come to that conclusion since myself and several others have done so without even reviewing all of the supporting stats mentioned in the article. It's looking more and more like the "trolls" might know what they're talking about.

Maybe you should check back when the 2011 season starts.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

You should go root for the Cowboys.

Fixed
Sabrason

(1) You're just scared to put some faith in our 9ers, for fear that your little heart will be broken.

(2) You have an undisclosed bias of Mike Singletary... personally.

(3) You enjoy going against the grain just to elicit reactions from others.

(4) You enjoy going against the grain because yelling " I told you so " is more important to your e-ego than simply putting some trust in a conclusion that you couldn't possibly know with any certainty.

Either way, the fact that you are here so much and state the same things so often is puzzling. Have you nothing better to do and nowhere better to go? ( since you are so sure that SF is in for a wasted season )
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sabrason

(1) You're just scared to put some faith in our 9ers, for fear that your little heart will be broken.

(4) You enjoy going against the grain because yelling " I told you so " is more important to your e-ego than simply putting some trust in a conclusion that you couldn't possibly know with any certainty.

Either way, the fact that you are here so much and state the same things so often is puzzling. Have you nothing better to do and nowhere better to go? ( since you are so sure that SF is in for a wasted season )

It's no wonder why the "but I hope I'm wrong" caveats at the end of some posts from "The SS" (Sabrason and singfan) ring hollow.
I'm just glad the team has a coaching staff that seems to energize and motivate them to do more. We don't need some retread like Shanny living off past successes - Shanny was somehow a genius when he was working with Elway and before that, Steve Young, but gee, he hasn't really done that much with a group he has to develop himself. Maybe he's not that great after all.

And, Danimal, do you really believe it shows disrespect to Joe and Steve to compare other QB's to them? Really? Because that's what happens to all great players - other players get compared to them. All coaches around here get compared to Bill Walsh as well. Does that surprise anyone around here? If it surprises or annoys you that coaches get compared to the greatest coach we've ever had around here, you need to get into the real world. That's part of how the real world works. We compare ourselves and others to those who are successful in an effort to recreate that success.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Screw all that crap, lets play some football and SEE what happens, stats and all that "On Paper" crap pisses me off! 29 days til Denver baby then all this crap starts to get real!

No one gave the 81 Niners any chance either!

Member Milestone: This is post number 2,000 for Sabrason.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sabrason

Is that you EZRider???
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM ]
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I'm just glad the team has a coaching staff that seems to energize and motivate them to do more. We don't need some retread like Shanny living off past successes - Shanny was somehow a genius when he was working with Elway and before that, Steve Young, but gee, he hasn't really done that much with a group he has to develop himself. Maybe he's not that great after all.

You believe this comes from a supposed "long-time" niner fan? Sounds more like a MS/Bear fan to me - shameful.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM ]
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Screw all that crap, lets play some football and SEE what happens, stats and all that "On Paper" crap pisses me off! 29 days til Denver baby then all this crap starts to get real!

No one gave the 81 Niners any chance either!

Ha ha yup bring on the f**kin season already
I love how singletary has already shown hes a better coach than nolan but people gave nolans teams more of a shot than theyre giving sinletarys team. hilarious.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

You should go root for the Cowboys.

Fixed

Ha ha roflmao
f**kin toooofunny!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I love how singletary has already shown hes a better coach than nolan but people gave nolans teams more of a shot than theyre giving sinletarys team. hilarious.

Yup he even got a neat little catch phrase!
ROLLIN WIT NOLAN
Ha ha its algood tho we all had hope man! What's the point in being a fan! Our team plays in 180 fashion compared to when nolan ran things. Ok credit due to nolan for the 2nd half of season when he took over for billy davis. And started the killa kieth!
Goniners
Singletary>nolan!
Im wit ya on this wtw
And well that rollin thing was cool when there was hope for em. But I just never had it in me to use it. He never convinced me of anything but bringing in good players
What's Shanahan done since he lost Elway? He was a great OC while he was here but QB's like Steve Young and John Elway tend to make an offensive coordinator look real good. Shanahan wasn't such a genius after he lost his HOF QB's, was he.