There are 186 users in the forums

After careful review, Crabtree will be the next Jerry Rice

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
JJ Stokes was once named Rice's successor as well.

Here is an article I found on why Crabtree is more T.O. than Rice:

"One thing that has bothered me about the Draft analysis of Michael Crabtree has been the comparisons to Jerry Rice. People do so because of Crabtree's perceived lack of speed.

I know one thing for certain though—Michael Crabtree is not the next Jerry Rice. He's the next Terrell Owens. Or at worst, the next Mike Williams.

In other words, I think Crabtree will be productive player, but in listening to his interviews, I can tell that he's not excited about where he's going. Maybe he's upset because he lost money. Maybe it's because he wanted to play for a different team.

He sounded like he needed Zoloft.

One thing I know for sure is, moody players are usually more trouble than they are worth.

I think that's why teams passed on Crabtree. Keep in mind that Seattle, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Jacksonville all passed on Crabtree too. I think they saw the same things in Crabtree that the Raiders did—a moody and uncooperative player. Rumor has it to that some within the 49ers organization did not want Crabtree either."

The article goes on to talk about the Raiders so he very well could be a jealous Raider homer but I thought it was interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/162663-michael-crabtree-is-the-next-terrell-owens-not-jerry-rice

How you could take anything away from that article and see as credible is beyond me. Out of a 5 page article, supposedly about Crabtree being the next TO, the only mention of Crabtree or football for that matter was in the few short paragraphs you posted. The rest of the article was about how the media hates Al Davis and has no right to criticize him because he's Jewish. The dude actually went so far as to compare the main stream media with the Nazi’s because some have called Davis crazy for some of his recent moves. I guess the fact that Davis has totally run the Raiders in to the ground has gone over the guys head. When wasn’t heralding the greatness that is Al Davis, he was going on about how he and all the other sports bloggers have saved sorts reporting, because they’re so much smarter than those in the main stream media. How a web site supposedly dedicated to sports news allowed such drivel to be published blows my mind.

Where did I say I thought it was credible?

I don't think there will ever be another Rice. There may be a player one day that breaks some of his records but there will never be anyone comparable to me. Crabtree may be a flop or a solid #1. Only time will tell.

It was a lame story comparing Crabtree so I thought it related.
dude, i understand the want and need to emotionally and for pride purposes to tout someone as the understudy to rice, but all you do is just build a foundationless wall of expectations, and if they dont perform we're calling him a bust and this and that and the true weight of his performance is never rightfully calculated.

He's been great, and his potential is great. However, that's all it is right now..potential. Just weight on it, and hopefully milliions will be wearing crabtree jerseys's that say "NFC pro bowl" for years to come.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

Originally posted by King49er:

Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
JJ Stokes was once named Rice's successor as well.

Here is an article I found on why Crabtree is more T.O. than Rice:

"One thing that has bothered me about the Draft analysis of Michael Crabtree has been the comparisons to Jerry Rice. People do so because of Crabtree's perceived lack of speed.

I know one thing for certain though—Michael Crabtree is not the next Jerry Rice. He's the next Terrell Owens. Or at worst, the next Mike Williams.

In other words, I think Crabtree will be productive player, but in listening to his interviews, I can tell that he's not excited about where he's going. Maybe he's upset because he lost money. Maybe it's because he wanted to play for a different team.

He sounded like he needed Zoloft.

One thing I know for sure is, moody players are usually more trouble than they are worth.

I think that's why teams passed on Crabtree. Keep in mind that Seattle, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Jacksonville all passed on Crabtree too. I think they saw the same things in Crabtree that the Raiders did—a moody and uncooperative player. Rumor has it to that some within the 49ers organization did not want Crabtree either."

The article goes on to talk about the Raiders so he very well could be a jealous Raider homer but I thought it was interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/162663-michael-crabtree-is-the-next-terrell-owens-not-jerry-rice

How you could take anything away from that article and see as credible is beyond me. Out of a 5 page article, supposedly about Crabtree being the next TO, the only mention of Crabtree or football for that matter was in the few short paragraphs you posted. The rest of the article was about how the media hates Al Davis and has no right to criticize him because he's Jewish. The dude actually went so far as to compare the main stream media with the Nazi’s because some have called Davis crazy for some of his recent moves. I guess the fact that Davis has totally run the Raiders in to the ground has gone over the guys head. When wasn’t heralding the greatness that is Al Davis, he was going on about how he and all the other sports bloggers have saved sorts reporting, because they’re so much smarter than those in the main stream media. How a web site supposedly dedicated to sports news allowed such drivel to be published blows my mind.

Where did I say I thought it was credible?

I don't think there will ever be another Rice. There may be a player one day that breaks some of his records but there will never be anyone comparable to me. Crabtree may be a flop or a solid #1. Only time will tell.

It was a lame story comparing Crabtree so I thought it related.

That article is retarded, Crabtree didn't sound excited enough? He has never sounded excited when talking to the media except after the Texas game.
He's always like that.
It's really the dumbest article that I have ever read. So the guy thinks Darris Heyward Bey was a good pick because Crabtree has attitude. Bey never dominated games like Crabtree and the whole primadonna thing is crazy. Yeah, he's not excited to be playing for the Niners....PLEASE....he is dying to play and was coming back too fast when singletary slowed him down.

Also if you listen to his former head coach go to Knbr archives around the time of the draft and they say that he is all about the team. He wants the team to do well, it's not all about him.

The reason he dropped is because of his injury and not running a 40.....we are very lucky that he landed in our laps. He was probably the highest rated guy in a weak draft and we scored.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

WIN
Can't he just be Micheal Crabtree?

Originally posted by dunkwindex:
In 1985 15 teams passed on Jerry Rice for what ever reason.

For "whatever reason?" IT'S BECAUSE NOBODY KNEW WHO THE HELL HE WAS. He came from a small school that didn't face big-time opponents so there's no way any team not coached by a Genius would have picked him in the first round. I know the Cowboys claim they were gonna pick him with the very next pick, but it's easy to make that claim years later. NOBODY had their eyes on Jerry Rice except Bill Walsh.
  • SamSkee415Niner
  • Info N/A
Are you serious! I dont think so buddy!
  • Veteran
After careful review, I can tell you don't know what you talking about.
Crabtree is Dyno-Matic(extremely explosive)!
This may sound like heresy, but I don't see anything on film to indicate Crabtree is a lock to make it big in the NFL. History is replete with receivers who tear up the college ranks or statistically blow everyone away and never quite achieve even close to that level of success in the pros.. He looks very good on film; great hands, courage over the middle and good game speed. But he also occasionally trips himself up trying to make moves and doesn't appear to be that hard to bring down when adequately defended. And if you must compare him to Jerry, he doesn't appear to have that fifth gear to pull away from those chasing him. Granted, he does seem to play faster than his track time. Will all that translate to the pro game? I dunno. I truly hope so, but we won't really know until we seem him actually play against NFL caliber players. I've got a feeling, especially in his first year, that he won't flame out, nor will he tear the league up. Alot will depend on whomever his QB is too. One thing's for sure......I can't wait to see!
Share 49ersWebzone