There are 139 users in the forums

After careful review, Crabtree will be the next Jerry Rice

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LOL
How many aspirins does it take to make a headache go away? I've got a full bottle in front of me.
In 1985 15 teams passed on Jerry Rice for what ever reason. His best 40 time comming out of Miss. Valley St. was 4.6 flat. you would be shocked if you knew the real speed of most NFL wrs. Without a doubt what separated Jerry from everybody eles was his work ethic, the greatest of all -time. Do you think the guy played 20 years in the NFL on talent. Without a trend setting pass first Head Coach like Bill Walsh and 2 Hall of Fame Quarterbacks, Jerry's numbers would be more in line with other top wrs of that era. Crabtree at the highest level had off the chart productivity, the 1st thing you evaluate when scouting potential NFL talent. This kid has good size and great short area quickness needed for separation in the NFL. His hands are exceptional and he makes the big play when you absolutly have to have it. What will hinder his development are his quarterbacks, and the 49ers approach to offense. Do you think Jerry wasn't a prima donna ha... give the kid a break, how would you feel if you just lost 15 million dollars. Without a broken foot, this guy goes #2 or #3 in the draft. I stand by my claim. JJ Stokes, PLEASE.
Obviously, none of us know how Crabtree will turn out, but it seemed to me to be the no-brainer selection at that point. I don't think anyone really expected him to fall out of the top 10, and looking at the other options does not impress as much as Crabby. People should remain patient with him. Some early draft picks are needed to start right away due to a low-quality depth chart, but we can afford to ease him into action. So no, I don't see him being highly productive in 2009, but there's no good reason to think he won't be soon after. Maybe we should try not to compare him to others just yet, or assume he doesn't want to be a 49er when we have no real clue.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Obviously, none of us know how Crabtree will turn out, but it seemed to me to be the no-brainer selection at that point. I don't think anyone really expected him to fall out of the top 10, and looking at the other options does not impress as much as Crabby. People should remain patient with him. Some early draft picks are needed to start right away due to a low-quality depth chart, but we can afford to ease him into action. So no, I don't see him being highly productive in 2009, but there's no good reason to think he won't be soon after. Maybe we should try not to compare him to others just yet, or assume he doesn't want to be a 49er when we have no real clue.

I agree.

Maybe,just maybe we should try watching him play a game or two before we compare him to anybody!!!LOL
Let's see, Rice had Montana and Young in his best years. Crab has Hill or Smith, Yeah OK!
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Crabtree will be more like Chris Carter with the sick catches imo , I dont think he`s on the same lvl as Jerry Rice, Only time will tell....

Whatever you're smoking, I want some!!!!!
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
JJ Stokes was once named Rice's successor as well.

Here is an article I found on why Crabtree is more T.O. than Rice:

"One thing that has bothered me about the Draft analysis of Michael Crabtree has been the comparisons to Jerry Rice. People do so because of Crabtree's perceived lack of speed.

I know one thing for certain though—Michael Crabtree is not the next Jerry Rice. He's the next Terrell Owens. Or at worst, the next Mike Williams.

In other words, I think Crabtree will be productive player, but in listening to his interviews, I can tell that he's not excited about where he's going. Maybe he's upset because he lost money. Maybe it's because he wanted to play for a different team.

He sounded like he needed Zoloft.

One thing I know for sure is, moody players are usually more trouble than they are worth.

I think that's why teams passed on Crabtree. Keep in mind that Seattle, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Jacksonville all passed on Crabtree too. I think they saw the same things in Crabtree that the Raiders did—a moody and uncooperative player. Rumor has it to that some within the 49ers organization did not want Crabtree either."

The article goes on to talk about the Raiders so he very well could be a jealous Raider homer but I thought it was interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/162663-michael-crabtree-is-the-next-terrell-owens-not-jerry-rice

yeah, ok there bud...

Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I agree.

Maybe,just maybe we should try watching him play a game or two before we compare him to anybody!!!LOL

What a novel concept. So if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that we actually see the man play before making outlandish statements like "He's going to be just as good as the greatest wide receiver of all times"?

BRILIENT!!!!

It would be nice if we could actually give the guy a year or two in the league before passing judgment on the rest of his career. Sadly, we all know that some among us will never let this happen. Every move the young man makes will be over analyzed and debated. Every pass he catches wit be used to validate the case of those heralding his greatness and every poorly run route or dropped pass will be used to point out that we should have seen this coming and drafted “insert name here”. It’s the way of the Zone.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
JJ Stokes was once named Rice's successor as well.

Here is an article I found on why Crabtree is more T.O. than Rice:

"One thing that has bothered me about the Draft analysis of Michael Crabtree has been the comparisons to Jerry Rice. People do so because of Crabtree's perceived lack of speed.

I know one thing for certain though—Michael Crabtree is not the next Jerry Rice. He's the next Terrell Owens. Or at worst, the next Mike Williams.

In other words, I think Crabtree will be productive player, but in listening to his interviews, I can tell that he's not excited about where he's going. Maybe he's upset because he lost money. Maybe it's because he wanted to play for a different team.

He sounded like he needed Zoloft.

One thing I know for sure is, moody players are usually more trouble than they are worth.

I think that's why teams passed on Crabtree. Keep in mind that Seattle, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Jacksonville all passed on Crabtree too. I think they saw the same things in Crabtree that the Raiders did—a moody and uncooperative player. Rumor has it to that some within the 49ers organization did not want Crabtree either."

The article goes on to talk about the Raiders so he very well could be a jealous Raider homer but I thought it was interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/162663-michael-crabtree-is-the-next-terrell-owens-not-jerry-rice

This article is just speculation. I've never seen Crabtree overjoyed about ANYTHING, so why read that as he's not happy to be a Niner.

LAME.

Crabtree is NOT Rice and he isn't Owens...He's freakin Michael Crabtree. You would think that was obvious, but appearantly its not.

We have to be careful not to sqash this guy under the weight of expectations. Just let him play and be himself. I don't want to start hearing peiple call him a bust because he isn't playing like Jerry Rice or Terrell Owens.

Thats simply an unrealistic expectation. If he just becomes a solid #1 WR, it will have been a very good pick.
Well, I'm convinced.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
congratulations

you got attention
who do you think you are?
Share 49ersWebzone