Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
The cure for Alex Leaf is the Arena football League. I guess you have to be an idiot not to get that spread option QB's dont fit in the NFL. Look for Graham Harrell(if he even can get anybody to sign him) and Chase Daniels to have HOF Careers

I guess it does take a rocket scientist to understand the game of football and the fact that the man you are calling Alex Leaf has been injured 2 of the 4 seasons on which you are judging him on.

and those two seasons that he played......he showed what?

what he showed me was interceptions, bad decisions, bad pocket presence, terrible accuracy, slow release and I could go on and on.

Really cause what I saw was a horrible offensive line. He showed progress under Norv Turner in his second year then in year 3 and 4 he was injured. In year 3 he was picked to have a break out year. And I would bet you were all over his nuts drooling over them and fondling them in your mind. Then Tuner went to the Chargers and we were left with a nightmare of an OC. He was injured the next 2 years. But yup your right he sure does remind me of Leaf

Really? I saw Tim Rattay in the same offense and had 7 TDS and 7 INTS before being traded. Nobody was expecting Alex Leaf to be a super star his first season, but 1TD 11INTS 11F is deplorable. If we had a team like the Bucs had in the '70's I could agree with you, but we did not.

Its not hard to progress from the above stats. Also it was all GORE in 2006 buddy. Without him and having say like an average RB like Rudy Johnson we would have been 2-14. I did not see the ability to lead a team. Lots of deer in headlight looks til this day. Hill had the same team in performed better

Why are you bringing up Frank Gore when Alex SMITH!!!! is being discussed? Did someone claim that SMITH!! was the reason for the mediocre success in 2006??? So by your words you agree that Smith did progress. Hill perfomed better?? when in the 2008 season after Singletary took over. Everything was simplified so EVERYONE! on the team performed better. The OLine didn't give up as many sacks due to the change in the offensive play calling. Smith could have done the same thing if he was healthy. Hate all you want but IF Smith is given the starting job and IF he starts to perfom up to his potential I would assume it would be a safe bet that you would be one of the first ones to magically change your opinion and begine jocking Smith just like you did in 06

That statement right there just tells me you are delusional. Oh yeah I really jocked a 16TD 16 INT performance. I never heard of this bust until the draft. Honestly not too many people know Alex Leaf outside 49er world. Its always who was that QB you drafted years ago. What happened to him.

I brought up Gore because you people continue to act like Leaf did so great in 2006. Like I said how can you not do better than 1TD 11INTS 11F, You cant do much worse that than.

Ahh yes because I am realistic I am automatically dilusional You must have been the only "fan" that was calling for Smith's head during each of those 7 wins. Yes it was only 7 wins but it was better than being 0-16. All you haters sit here and act like being an NFL QB is so easy yet I don't see any of you on any NFL teams.

I remember being on this website during the 2006 season. And let me tell you that there was no "nut riding" or ball hugging on Alex Smith at all. yeah sure, we were happy that we were winning some games late in the season, but we all knew that it wasn't Smith who was the main reason, it was Gore and the run blocking.

And please don't bring up the, " he progressed in 2006 from his rookie season". Anyone could have "progressed" from 1 TD 11 INTS, and 16 TD 16 INT is not very good, especially when your ground game is so productive.

And no one said that being an NFL QB is easy. But the guy was drafted as the #1 pick, and was supposed to be a big part of our hopeful " turnaround". The guy didn't do jacks**t when he played, and he definetly didn't do jacks**t when he was injured. I hope that he, along with the other 49er players, plays well, but I highly doubt it, 'cause he sucks royal balls, and your blind support for him and his performances leave me shocked.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I seem to remember a lot of receivers dropping balls that practically hit them right in the hands a couple years ago. We haven't had a sure-handed receiver since drafting Alex Smith until we signed Isaac Bruce.

If Alex gets a receiver that will fight for the ball, imagine how many yards he could rack up. And that's what Michael Crabtree brings to the table. I think Shaun Hill is a solid quarterback, but Alex Smith has the tools to be great like Peyton Manning. Is Crabtree his Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne? Time will tell.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PRE-SEASON!!! We can finally see what we have in Crabtree. It's like waiting for your Lamborghini to get fixed. Or your girlfriend to come home with new implants.

I sure hope so. Sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who witnessed all the dropped passes in 07 when people talk trash about Alex. The dude made some great passes given the circumstances and Darrell Jackson was suppose to help him out but I vividly remember Jackson and Battle dropping a couple passes every game. That being said, it's refreshing to see posts like this and is the reason why I signed up for this forum
The cure for Alex Leaf is the Arena football League. I guess you have to be an idiot not to get that spread option QB's dont fit in the NFL. Look for Graham Harrell(if he even can get anybody to sign him) and Chase Daniels to have HOF Careers

I guess it does take a rocket scientist to understand the game of football and the fact that the man you are calling Alex Leaf has been injured 2 of the 4 seasons on which you are judging him on.

what he showed me was interceptions, bad decisions, bad pocket presence, terrible accuracy, slow release and I could go on and on.

Really cause what I saw was a horrible offensive line. He showed progress under Norv Turner in his second year then in year 3 and 4 he was injured. In year 3 he was picked to have a break out year. And I would bet you were all over his nuts drooling over them and fondling them in your mind. Then Tuner went to the Chargers and we were left with a nightmare of an OC. He was injured the next 2 years. But yup your right he sure does remind me of Leaf

Really? I saw Tim Rattay in the same offense and had 7 TDS and 7 INTS before being traded. Nobody was expecting Alex Leaf to be a super star his first season, but 1TD 11INTS 11F is deplorable. If we had a team like the Bucs had in the '70's I could agree with you, but we did not.

Its not hard to progress from the above stats. Also it was all GORE in 2006 buddy. Without him and having say like an average RB like Rudy Johnson we would have been 2-14. I did not see the ability to lead a team. Lots of deer in headlight looks til this day. Hill had the same team in performed better

Why are you bringing up Frank Gore when Alex SMITH!!!! is being discussed? Did someone claim that SMITH!! was the reason for the mediocre success in 2006??? So by your words you agree that Smith did progress. Hill perfomed better?? when in the 2008 season after Singletary took over. Everything was simplified so EVERYONE! on the team performed better. The OLine didn't give up as many sacks due to the change in the offensive play calling. Smith could have done the same thing if he was healthy. Hate all you want but IF Smith is given the starting job and IF he starts to perfom up to his potential I would assume it would be a safe bet that you would be one of the first ones to magically change your opinion and begine jocking Smith just like you did in 06

That statement right there just tells me you are delusional. Oh yeah I really jocked a 16TD 16 INT performance. I never heard of this bust until the draft. Honestly not too many people know Alex Leaf outside 49er world. Its always who was that QB you drafted years ago. What happened to him.

I brought up Gore because you people continue to act like Leaf did so great in 2006. Like I said how can you not do better than 1TD 11INTS 11F, You cant do much worse that than.

Ahh yes because I am realistic I am automatically dilusional You must have been the only "fan" that was calling for Smith's head during each of those 7 wins. Yes it was only 7 wins but it was better than being 0-16. All you haters sit here and act like being an NFL QB is so easy yet I don't see any of you on any NFL teams.

I remember being on this website during the 2006 season. And let me tell you that there was no "nut riding" or ball hugging on Alex Smith at all. yeah sure, we were happy that we were winning some games late in the season, but we all knew that it wasn't Smith who was the main reason, it was Gore and the run blocking.

And please don't bring up the, " he progressed in 2006 from his rookie season". Anyone could have "progressed" from 1 TD 11 INTS, and 16 TD 16 INT is not very good, especially when your ground game is so productive.

And no one said that being an NFL QB is easy. But the guy was drafted as the #1 pick, and was supposed to be a big part of our hopeful " turnaround". The guy didn't do jacks**t when he played, and he definetly didn't do jacks**t when he was injured. I hope that he, along with the other 49er players, plays well, but I highly doubt it, 'cause he sucks royal balls, and your blind support for him and his performances leave me shocked.

Yes Smith was the overall #1 draft pick. We got that, thanks for pointing it out multiple times. Is that the base for your arguement? Because if it is, it is also pretty well known that that years draft was pretty shallow in regaurds to QB's. If you put smith in the following years draft then there is no way he would have gone #1 overall. Everyone wants to ride the #1 pick he is a bust bla bla bla. But the cards were dealt we needed a QB and that year we had the #1 pick with little to no choices. None of the teams were jumping to move up to snatch a player at #1 so we took who we took. It's over with, now you can either support the players on the team as a REAL fan would or you can cry and whine and moan and groan, because we all know that is making everything better. The facts are Smith is a 49er and as fans WE should support him and hope that he plays to his full potential finally and either back up Hill or if he wins the starting job wins some games by playing smart, making plays(as he has done in the past) and maintaining control of the ball keeping our defense off of the field.

Yes Smith was the overall #1 draft pick. We got that, thanks for pointing it out multiple times. Is that the base for your arguement? Because if it is, it is also pretty well known that that years draft was pretty shallow in regaurds to QB's. If you put smith in the following years draft then there is no way he would have gone #1 overall. Everyone wants to ride the #1 pick he is a bust bla bla bla. But the cards were dealt we needed a QB and that year we had the #1 pick with little to no choices. None of the teams were jumping to move up to snatch a player at #1 so we took who we took. It's over with, now you can either support the players on the team as a REAL fan would or you can cry and whine and moan and groan, because we all know that is making everything better. The facts are Smith is a 49er and as fans WE should support him and hope that he plays to his full potential finally and either back up Hill or if he wins the starting job wins some games by playing smart, making plays(as he has done in the past) and maintaining control of the ball keeping our defense off of the field.

The base for my arguement is that just because Smith has made a couple of "big" plays during his career, it doesn't make him a good quarterback or a potential good quarterback. Look at Shaun Hill, the guy has made WAY MORE plays than Smith in WAY LESS games. Thats my point. Its not a big deal for a #1 QB, regardless of where he was drafted, to throw a TD, or run for a TD once in a blue moon.

And no, Smith does not play "smart", hence the 31 INTS and countless fumbles. And he does not make plays, well maybe he has, if your expectations are 4 good plays in 4 years.

Just give up, and admit that Hill is the better QB. I hope that Smith plays well, because it would be satisfying to have our 50 million dollar Qb to pan out, but just don't get any false hopes for him, cuz he sucks.
http://profootball.scout.com/2/687001.html

Quote:
1. Alex Smith (20.4 percent) - What happened to the 49ers wide receivers? After posting the third-least drops in the league last year, they've been killing Smith and the San Francisco offense by dropping 11 out of 54 catchable throws. They're making Seattle's league-worst 12.5 percent from last year look good. Seven different receivers have drops so far, with running back Frank Gore leading the group with 3 drops in just four games. Smith separated his shoulder last weekend, so veteran Trent Dilfer gets his chance to see if the receivers can catch his tosses any better.

The base for my arguement is that just because Smith has made a couple of "big" plays during his career, it doesn't make him a good quarterback or a potential good quarterback. Look at Shaun Hill, the guy has made WAY MORE plays than Smith in WAY LESS games. Thats my point. Its not a big deal for a #1 QB, regardless of where he was drafted, to throw a TD, or run for a TD once in a blue moon.

And no, Smith does not play "smart", hence the 31 INTS and countless fumbles. And he does not make plays, well maybe he has, if your expectations are 4 good plays in 4 years.

Just give up, and admit that Hill is the better QB. I hope that Smith plays well, because it would be satisfying to have our 50 million dollar Qb to pan out, but just don't get any false hopes for him, cuz he sucks.

The fact that Hill has out played Smith was never part of this conversation so why bring that up now? I was just stating that Smith is not the bust that everyone thinks he is and that in no way deserves to be compared to Ryan Leaf like some have been stating. You are correct that Hill has out played Smith thus far. But I am correct in stating that the verdict on whether or not Smith is a bust or not is to be determined and that in no way can you make a judgement on a guy with less than 2 full years of starting. Yes he is in his 4th year but 2 out of those 4 he has been recovering from an injury due to lack of pass protection thanks to an OLine with more holes than swiss cheese. Even Hill got injured in the 07 season due to that line. Having to depend on a guy name Weinke sound familiar? So don't even try and say that Hill has done more with the same amount of talent that Smith has because they have never really played with the same amount of talent. The team last year was greatly improved over what Smith had in 05,06 and 07. Can I say that Smith would have out performed Hill if he were healthy and played last year instead of Hill, the answer is no because unlike some that post on the zone I am unable to determine the future or the "what ifs"
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Quote:
1. Alex Smith (20.4 percent) - What happened to the 49ers wide receivers? After posting the third-least drops in the league last year, they've been killing Smith and the San Francisco offense by dropping 11 out of 54 catchable throws. They're making Seattle's league-worst 12.5 percent from last year look good. Seven different receivers have drops so far, with running back Frank Gore leading the group with 3 drops in just four games. Smith separated his shoulder last weekend, so veteran Trent Dilfer gets his chance to see if the receivers can catch his tosses any better.

alexcuses alexcuses alexcuses.

Got any more? Will you guys keep ignoring the fact that Smith still can't lead a reciever on a route consistentl? Or that he has major accuracy issues, before and after his injury? That he has an extremely slow release? that he has bad pocket presence? I could go on all day, but you still would pull out an ALEXCUSE out of your ass.

The fact that Hill has out played Smith was never part of this conversation so why bring that up now? I was just stating that Smith is not the bust that everyone thinks he is and that in no way deserves to be compared to Ryan Leaf like some have been stating. You are correct that Hill has out played Smith thus far. But I am correct in stating that the verdict on whether or not Smith is a bust or not is to be determined and that in no way can you make a judgement on a guy with less than 2 full years of starting. Yes he is in his 4th year but 2 out of those 4 he has been recovering from an injury due to lack of pass protection thanks to an OLine with more holes than swiss cheese. Even Hill got injured in the 07 season due to that line. Having to depend on a guy name Weinke sound familiar? So don't even try and say that Hill has done more with the same amount of talent that Smith has because they have never really played with the same amount of talent. The team last year was greatly improved over what Smith had in 05,06 and 07. Can I say that Smith would have out performed Hill if he were healthy and played last year instead of Hill, the answer is no because unlike some that post on the zone I am unable to determine the future or the "what ifs"

Look, I totally respect and somewhat understand your point.

But if you notice, Hill didn't have "great" talent last year.

He had a bad O-line tthat gave up 55 sacks, a league high. In 2006, Smith was sacked only 35 times.

In 2006, Smith had Antonio Bryant, who had a great year with the Bucs last year. He was definetly a good reciever for Smith in that season. Along with Bryant, Smith had a great OC, and an amazing ground game, both which Hill didn't have last year.

Still, with those two factors, Smith's season was mediocre at best, and Hill had a damn good 8 games in 2008.

yeah, Hill had Bruce, but the guy was 36 years old and was released by the Rams because he had lost a step in the previous years. Hill's other recievers were Bryant Johnson, another castoff from the Cards, and a rookie in Morgan.

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Quote:

Got any more? Will you guys keep ignoring the fact that Smith still can't lead a reciever on a route consistentl? Or that he has major accuracy issues, before and after his injury? That he has an extremely slow release? that he has bad pocket presence? I could go on all day, but you still would pull out an ALEXCUSE out of your ass.

I love how the haters like to call FACTS!!! alexuces. It is amazing how hatred can make someone blind to reality

Quote:

I love how the haters like to call FACTS!!! alexuces. It is amazing how hatred can make someone blind to reality

AND I love how blind Smith supporters, never answer my question in a thread when I point this out. NEVER.

Quote:

AND I love how blind Smith supporters, never answer my question in a thread when I point this out. NEVER.

- You say he can't lead a receiver, yet all one needs to do is throw in the 06 highlights to see that he in fact can lead receivers. Yes, they are highlight plays and therefore the good stuff on him, but the good stuff still exists, despite your claim that he can't.

- Again, his accuracy was not so bad. Sure, he needs (needed?) work on his touch-passes, to balance out his arm strength. Perhaps you only (or best) remember his post-injured throws that were in fact off. We all noticed the difference there, because his accuracy was so much better pre-injury.

- His release was not super-fast, make no mistake... buuuuut much of this slow release had to do with (1) not fully knowing where targets would be due to an ever-changing scheme (2) not trusting his receivers enough (3) basic inexperience to the NFL-speed (he was still a baby)

- The bad pocket presence is easy enough to explain. (1) Kwame Harris pass protection (2) no longer trusting the overall OL pass protection (yeah, he developed the happy feet that is associated with QBs accustomed to being smashed repeatedly by blitzers (all in all, this bad pocket presence criticism is overinflated)

So I have answered your questions as best I can. You may mockingly call these alexcuses if you choose, but that's just your way of saying, " I choose to disregard all outside factors and stare myopically at the end result/bottom line "

If that's how you feel, then so be it. I do appreciate from your other quote that while you highly doubt that Alex can be what we need... that you don't fully reject the possibility of it.

Quote:

I love how he says it like 4 times and you still manage to misspell it.

Those 'facts' are the same things Alex sackriders say over and over again when coming to his rescue.

Nolan, injuries, number of offensive coordinators, "But but but he's a standup kid!" etc.

All Alexcuses for one of the biggest jokes in the NFL.
Originally posted by billybonka:

Quote:

I love how he says it like 4 times and you still manage to misspell it.

Those 'facts' are the same things Alex sackriders say over and over again when coming to his rescue.

Nolan, injuries, number of offensive coordinators, "But but but he's a standup kid!" etc.

All Alexcuses for one of the biggest jokes in the NFL.

Misspelled it? I wasn't aware that it was an actual word with correct spelling. Can you please provide me the link in Websters dictionary to where the correct spelling is located so I can study up on my spelling of fictitional words made up on internet forums. Well out the these so called ALEXuces/ALEXcuses you listed I see 2 legitimate FACTS. He was injured for the past 2 years so I don't see how he can be expected to show improvement when he was still recovering from an injury. Also the fact that he learned more offenses in a few years then most QB's learn in a career. As for Nolan and being a stand up guy, neither of those really have a tole on his performance. But hey keep sipping that hateraid its only a matter of time till hater fans turn into raider fans.

He had a bad O-line tthat gave up 55 sacks, a league high. In 2006, Smith was sacked only 35 times.

In 2006, Smith had Antonio Bryant, who had a great year with the Bucs last year. He was definetly a good reciever for Smith in that season. Along with Bryant, Smith had a great OC, and an amazing ground game, both which Hill didn't have last year.

Still, with those two factors, Smith's season was mediocre at best, and Hill had a damn good 8 games in 2008.

yeah, Hill had Bruce, but the guy was 36 years old and was released by the Rams because he had lost a step in the previous years. Hill's other recievers were Bryant Johnson, another castoff from the Cards, and a rookie in Morgan.

Antonio Bryant disappeared after a couple of games,he is by no means in the same class as Bruce.As for who is the better QB...that is why we are having the QB competition to find that out.So you are trying to say that the 2006 roster was as good as the 2008 roster?Your argument that Hill played with the same talent surrounding him is not factual,just making that claim is hurting your own credibility.Hill had a pretty good 8 games,but he obviously hasn't nailed down the starting job in the eyes of the people that matter.I do not understand why you guys do not comprehend that.Listen,I like Hill and have no problem with the guy starting at QB...as long as he wins the competition,but for you guys to think you are smarter than the professionals is absolutely laughable.You are by all means entitled to your own opinion,good men have fought and died for us to have the right of free speech,but your logic escapes me on this matter.

Smith had the same amount of talent in 06 as Hill had in 08??? Are you serious? Yes the 08 team gave up 55 sacks but how many of those were after Singeltay took over and simplified the offense and put Martz on a leash with his 213742983 step drop passes? the offensive line in 08 is better than what it was in 06. Most of the starters for the 06 line are not even on the team anymore and if they are they are no longer starting. Hill didn't have the same ground game?? Did gore get traded last year and I somehow missed it. Bryant gave up toward the end of the season for the fact that Smith was consistanlty under pressure and was unable to get the ball off to any of the recievers which did not exactly perfect getting seperation from the DB. Now lets see how many WR that Smith had are now starting on any other team. Bryant-check Gilmore-is he even in the league anymore? Lloyd-not starting hmm who am I missing. Well either way your argument that Smith had the same amount of talent that Hill had last year is pretty weak. Again I can not say that Hill could have performed better or that Smith would have performed better than Hill last year because of the fact that I don't have the ability to see the "what ifs"
Share 49ersWebzone