LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 216 users in the forums

Cody Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wallace is simply insurance for Heitmann. Nothing more, nothing less.

One note: I'm not even sure Wallace would be the first off the bench if Heitmann is injured. It might be Wragge. Wallace is going to need to prove to Niners brass this season that he is better than Wragge at center, or this could be his last season with the squad.

P.S. Remember at this time last year about half the board went loco and called for Wallace to start over Heitmann? Talk about insanity.

Talk about insanity for us passing on Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins for this clown
I thought for sure we would grab a center in the later rounds. Not grabbing a center tells me that they are comfortable with Wallace being Heitmann's backup and maybe his eventual replacement.
Hopefully he pushes the rest
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the 53 man roster this year to be honest. We improved a lot in the draft and roster spots are going to be harder to come by. Scotty Mac was the one originally high on Wallace IIRC and he's gone, and CW hasn't done anything.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the 53 man roster this year to be honest. We improved a lot in the draft and roster spots are going to be harder to come by. Scotty Mac was the one originally high on Wallace IIRC and he's gone, and CW hasn't done anything.

I tend to agree with a previous poster that if Wallace wasn't coming along well behind the scenes they surely would at least have tried a gamble with a late pick at the position
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I tend to agree with a previous poster that if Wallace wasn't coming along well behind the scenes they surely would at least have tried a gamble with a late pick at the position

Wallace and Wragge will be competing for the last interior line backup position.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

One note: I'm not even sure Wallace would be the first off the bench if Heitmann is injured. It might be Wragge. Wallace is going to need to prove to Niners brass this season that he is better than Wragge at center, or this could be his last season with the squad.

P.S. Remember at this time last year about half the board went loco and called for Wallace to start over Heitmann? Talk about insanity.

Talk about insanity for us passing on Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins for this clown

I graded Jon Sullivan three rounds higher than Cody, who who selected two rounds before the starting Vikings center.

The bottom line is that this team now has a full roster of OL, with these ten:

Staley----Iupati----Heitmann-----Rachal-------Davis
Sims-----Baas-------Wallace------Wragge------------Snyder

Someone is the odd man out, and it comes down to: Baas, Wallace, Wragge and Snyder. Baas and Snyder are going to make this team, due to their size and versatility. It now comes down to Wragge and Wallace for the last slot. And, Wragge might have the edge since he has more experience at guard.

I graded Jon Sullivan three rounds higher than Cody, who who selected two rounds before the starting Vikings center.

Someone is the odd man out, and it comes down to: Baas, Wallace, Wragge and Snyder. Baas and Snyder are going to make this team, due to their size and versatility. It now comes down to Wragge and Wallace for the last slot. And, Wragge might have the edge since he has more experience at guard.

MD, so you see no hope for former Buckeye Alex Boone to crack the lineup next year, even as a backup?

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 25, 2010 at 14:22:44 ]

This makes sense. Does Wallace have any PS eligibility? He hasn't seen much action in games.

Also, any thoughts on Boone's chances in a competition with Snyder at backup tackle?
Share 49ersWebzone