There are 166 users in the forums

Cody Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the perception that Wallace was easily overpowered was misleading. Had about 100 pancake blocks in his junior -senior seasons and if you look at his record he had a extremely high squat lift. I suspect he had some issues but the niners thought were correctable. I think a guy who was powerlifting and etc etc was not just being beaten by sheer strength. If he has corrected his techniques, I think he would be a lot like Justin Smiley. If he were just plain bad I doubt they would have kept him around 4th round pick or not.
For what it's worth, cody was all big 12 OL, and also was academic all American( i believe i recall reading that). I would have liked to have seen him play last yr, but hopefully we get to see him some this yr. Unlike mad dog, i think he may have something, and if he can help our OL, bring it on. If he doesn't have it, okay. But signing a guy and not playing him is not the way of the nfl in 2009. You sign somebody, you better be playing him...and soon. If not, then get someone better and get him on down the line. i think he will make it and do very well...but one never knows.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I think the perception that Wallace was easily overpowered was misleading. Had about 100 pancake blocks in his junior -senior seasons and if you look at his record he had a extremely high squat lift. I suspect he had some issues but the niners thought were correctable. I think a guy who was powerlifting and etc etc was not just being beaten by sheer strength. If he has corrected his techniques, I think he would be a lot like Justin Smiley. If he were just plain bad I doubt they would have kept him around 4th round pick or not.

Just curious, do you know what Cody weights in at currently?
Depth Number 1.
Developing Number 2. Not everyone coming into the NFL can start their 1st or 2nd year but begin to compete by their 3rd and 4th years! Be patient!
Im still not on the Eric Heitman bandwagon. I keep reading articles on how good Eric Heitman is but I don't think he is all that good. Yes, he is smart, does a good job of making the calls and is a consistant player but I feel that a big reason why we have struggled running the ball on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, etc is because Heitman is just not a strong enough drive blocker. He does a good job of helping but one on one he struggles esspecially against bigger, stronger DT's. I think he is an average starting center in the NFL. Now can Cody Wallace become any better... I don't know. He struggled last season as a rookie and he has to show something this pre-season or he may not even make the team.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Im still not on the Eric Heitman bandwagon. I keep reading articles on how good Eric Heitman is but I don't think he is all that good. Yes, he is smart, does a good job of making the calls and is a consistant player but I feel that a big reason why we have struggled running the ball on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, etc is because Heitman is just not a strong enough drive blocker. He does a good job of helping but one on one he struggles esspecially against bigger, stronger DT's. I think he is an average starting center in the NFL. Now can Cody Wallace become any better... I don't know. He struggled last season as a rookie and he has to show something this pre-season or he may not even make the team.

agree
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I belive strength will be more of a problem for Wallace than Heitman.
Cody Wallace = STUD
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Why is this guy generally considered someone that is going to and or should make the roster? 2 of our G can play C in Baas and Wragge. Heitman is very good at C I would rather see us carry an additional T and either cut Wallace or put him on the PS.

Very good point. Why aren't the guys we are drafting getting it done? If Chilo isn't why can't Wallace take his place? Bye the way, we'll really be up a creek if Heitman goes down. Unless Wallace is ready to fill his spot. But if he is he should be able to fill Chilo's.
He needs to step up & show something.

To me, Wallace might have been the worst of all of Scott's draft picks. It made no sense to me.

Baas was drafted to be our future center, but with Heitmann's strong play, Baas slid over to OG. I get that and I don't really hold that against Scott that Baas isn't a starting-quality LG.

With Wallace, though, I don't undertand the reasoning. Heitmann was playing well and we reached for Wallace. It seems like a waisted pick, IMO.
Maybe we should try him at guard instead of Baas. Baas is slow and sucks in pass protection. Wallace is lighter, and playing at guard could help him before the eventual move to center. Then replace Rachal with Wragge.
Wallace can't play. Baas showed in 2007 training camp that he can't play center, he was getting blown up every other play. So if Heitmann goes down Wallace has to be healthy to fill in. Wallace will be a very good player.
Wallace seemed like a reach to me at the draft positon that we chose him. I think it's going to be a coin toss whether he ever develops into a starting center, but if he does, I seriously doubt that he's ever going to be much more than an average one.
Can we make this an official Cody Wallace highlights/appreciation thread? There's tons of media I wanna post on here about Cody.
Share 49ersWebzone