LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Cody Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wallace is kinda the mouse in the house... nothing is ever reported on him.

I wonder if he came to camp bigger, stronger, which he needs to be.

Last season, he did not do that well in camp.

[ Edited by BigMar on Jun 27, 2009 at 11:01:00 ]
Originally posted by BigMar:

He was just out of a college that had one of the worst o-lines imaginable, he was their sole shining light, and they had terrible o-line coaching....
I think now that he has had some real coaching he could be something.
Originally posted by cestmoi:

He was just out of a college that had one of the worst o-lines imaginable, he was their sole shining light, and they had terrible o-line coaching....

If I recall correctly Wallace started out slow but finished the pre-season with tangible improvement.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If Baas isn't resigned, and we don't add anyone at OG, then Wragge would replace Baas, and Wallace would replace Wragge.

LT: Staley
LG: Wragge
OC: Heitmann
RG: Rachal
RT: Smith

OG/OC: Wallace
As far as I'm concerned this guy was a complete waste of a pick. It's not like Heitmann is 35 years old. Heitmann can be our center for another 5 years! WHERE DOES WALLACE FIT IN!?

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Jun 27, 2009 at 14:52:13 ]
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
As far as I'm concerned this guy was a complete waste of a pick. It's not like Heitmann is 35 years old. Heitmann can be our center for another 5 years! WHERE DOES WALLACE FIT IT!?

If all goes well just insurance. Ya can never have 2 many olineman. Heitman was also coming off a broken leg. So if he wasn't able to comeback strong, we needed to have a replacement in the ranks
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
As far as I'm concerned this guy was a complete waste of a pick. It's not like Heitmann is 35 years old. Heitmann can be our center for another 5 years! WHERE DOES WALLACE FIT IN!?

He is insurance for when Bass leaves making Bass a waste of a pick
Originally posted by cestmoi:

lets hope so!
I think Cody Wallace is a perfect example of why preseason games exist. Heitmann plays 1st quarter, Wallace plays the rest of the game and gets a chance to show his stuff.

He'll either play his way onto the 53-man roster, get put on the practice squad, or be gone.

He seems like a good kid, surviving a tough up-bringing. A real character guy. I wish him the best.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wallace is simply insurance for Heitmann. Nothing more, nothing less.

One note: I'm not even sure Wallace would be the first off the bench if Heitmann is injured. It might be Wragge. Wallace is going to need to prove to Niners brass this season that he is better than Wragge at center, or this could be his last season with the squad.

P.S. Remember at this time last year about half the board went loco and called for Wallace to start over Heitmann? Talk about insanity.

Just couldn't pass the opportunity to intentionally try to hijack this thread huh MD? Your affinity for Heitmann is well documented, no need to create more documentation.

It is not affinity for Heitmann, it is simple observation. I was just replaying the insanity from last year, where Wallace was going to "take over" for Heitmann, according to many on the board. And, it was insanity.

Wallace was a poor choice from last year's draft, and I made that statement right after the team selected him. John Sullivan, from Notre Dame, was at least two rounds a better player than Cody. Sullivan is starting this season for the Vikings, even though he was a 6th rounder. Wallace is....a bubble roster player at this point.

I'll say it again, as I said it on draft day: We drafted the wrong center. Sullivan was the wise choice, and our organization botched another fourth round pick.

Originally posted by GEEK:
If Baas isn't resigned, and we don't add anyone at OG, then Wragge would replace Baas, and Wallace would replace Wragge.

I think the Niners would use a second rounder on a LG. Wragge is best suited to come off the bench.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Wallace is simply insurance for Heitmann. Nothing more, nothing less.

One note: I'm not even sure Wallace would be the first off the bench if Heitmann is injured. It might be Wragge. Wallace is going to need to prove to Niners brass this season that he is better than Wragge at center, or this could be his last season with the squad.

P.S. Remember at this time last year about half the board went loco and called for Wallace to start over Heitmann? Talk about insanity.

Just couldn't pass the opportunity to intentionally try to hijack this thread huh MD? Your affinity for Heitmann is well documented, no need to create more documentation.

It is not affinity for Heitmann, it is simple observation. I was just replaying the insanity from last year, where Wallace was going to "take over" for Heitmann, according to many on the board. And, it was insanity.

Wallace was a poor choice from last year's draft, and I made that statement right after the team selected him. John Sullivan, from Notre Dame, was at least two rounds a better player than Cody. Sullivan is starting this season for the Vikings, even though he was a 6th rounder. Wallace is....a bubble roster player at this point.

I'll say it again, as I said it on draft day: We drafted the wrong center. Sullivan was the wise choice, and our organization botched another fourth round pick.

I remember the madness bout heitman also. I vaguley remember your grip wit wallace pick. But I believe ya just the same bro. The worry from most people was that eric was done cause of his broken leg, that he wouldn't recover, and man the trenches the way he normally did. Another part was I believe some people was on em cause he wasn't the mauler newberry was n they just missed em lol, newb was the man. Im not surprised he is still in the league. He is a falcon now

I think the Niners would use a second rounder on a LG. Wragge is best suited to come off the bench.

My thinking is that Wallace will make only the Practice squad and the Niners will carry just 8 OL on the 53-man squad. Rather than Wragge or a R2 draft choice, I see (or hope to see) Alex Boone becoming the left guard should Baas leave. Boone is better suited to guard than tackle (relatively slow feet).
I just don't think that Wallace will ever be the type of lineman that the 49ers brass seems to like (pile movers). Maybe he was more of a fit with Martz system, and thats why they drafted him.

P.S. I remember MadDog blasting the Wallace pick
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

My thinking is that Wallace will make only the Practice squad and the Niners will carry just 8 OL on the 53-man squad. Rather than Wragge or a R2 draft choice, I see (or hope to see) Alex Boone becoming the left guard should Baas leave. Boone is better suited to guard than tackle (relatively slow feet).

Has Boone ever played guard?

Boone is what, 6-7 or so in height? To tall for Guard.
Share 49ersWebzone