LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY: Most Important

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Take a wild guess where the Packers are going to blitz our line in the first game of the season....
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Take a wild guess where the Packers are going to blitz our line in the first game of the season....

picking on Anthony Davis...
If L Davis wins the RG spot I imagine it will really help stabilize A Davis at RT. Boone is young, so LD is my hope for a big jump in line production at the beginning of the year with Boone growing into the spot later this year or in the future. I don't see bull rushers pushing LD back and he is more likely to pick up late blitzers due to his experience. Sure hope so! But having L Davis and Boone as alternatives over Rachal and Snyder? Yes!
Not a coincidence that when Iupati didn't practice, offense got owned by our already awesome defense.
WAY early.

Agree on Iupati. I still like Boone for T instead of G. Picking up LDavis may prove a great move.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If L Davis wins the RG spot I imagine it will really help stabilize A Davis at RT. Boone is young, so LD is my hope for a big jump in line production at the beginning of the year with Boone growing into the spot later this year or in the future. I don't see bull rushers pushing LD back and he is more likely to pick up late blitzers due to his experience. Sure hope so! But having L Davis and Boone as alternatives over Rachal and Snyder? Yes!

Whatever is best for the team, but on a more personal note, I'd be disappointed a bit if Boone doesn't earn the starting role. He's just one of those people that I really want having success on the field.

... but hey, if big Leonard offers more to our team?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Whatever is best for the team, but on a more personal note, I'd be disappointed a bit if Boone doesn't earn the starting role. He's just one of those people that I really want having success on the field.

... but hey, if big Leonard offers more to our team?

Damn . . . that'd be about 1000 lbs of Davis on the right side when Vernon lines up tight right.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Damn . . . that'd be about 1000 lbs of Davis on the right side when Vernon lines up tight right.

Lot of beef, yes. Not sure how much of that we need for Jim's offense though. Power-run is enticing, but sucks arse if dudes are big and sluggish turnstiles.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Lot of beef, yes. Not sure how much of that we need for Jim's offense though. Power-run is enticing, but sucks arse if dudes are big and sluggish turnstiles.

Please! No more turnstiles! Let's have beef that can dance ballet...or at least keep malicious folks out of the backfield!

Oldman9er--I can see your point regarding Boone and would be happy to see him beat out Davis but the latter's experience is very enticing. I hate that the NFL is trying to rush OLmen into starting roles too soon. I see many of the QB injuries coming from this tendency. Even good teams like GB have been guilty of this and Rodgers has been hit often the past few seasons. Weird to let your most valuable position be put at risk this way.
Oline still needs to get it together, im not sure whose responsibility it is and when (sure it changes play by play) but iupati/Goodwin have to get on the same page when the stunts come from that side. Davis is coming along this game was a good barometer some good some bad he was also victim of at least one bad call. Boone is learning a new pos but looked liked he belonged, again. for our 3rd down conversion/td% to go up these jokers coaches included have to get it together and pass block as well as they run block.

not worried at all

they came up with some exotic blitz packages and the 49ers who didnt gameplan for it just werent ready no one fault no one on o line if anything it would be alexs fault but seeing as they didnt gameplan i dont see how he would be able to identify their blitzes
Watched the game again. Focused on the starting O-line. They were dominant.

The starting O-line had one bad pass pro play when Iupati was beat badly on a swim move. Everything else was nearly flawless. The pressures were a result of Hunter failing to block a LB perfectly, and I guess the rest were due to coverage. Anthony Davis and Alex Boone are an awesome tandem.
The starting O-line was completely dominant in the running game, they were blowing some guys 5+ yards off the ball. It was ridiculous. The holding penalty called on Anthony Davis (where he made a dominant block) was pure non-sense.

The O-line was easily the most dominant unit in the game.
Very much looking forward to digging into the assignments. Not wanting to place blame until I do. I will say I am glad that we struggled now though... while there's fresh tape and time to discover areas that we can improve on.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Oline still needs to get it together, im not sure whose responsibility it is and when (sure it changes play by play) but iupati/Goodwin have to get on the same page when the stunts come from that side. Davis is coming along this game was a good barometer some good some bad he was also victim of at least one bad call. Boone is learning a new pos but looked liked he belonged, again. for our 3rd down conversion/td% to go up these jokers coaches included have to get it together and pass block as well as they run block.

Little harsh dontcha think, i thought the line looked pretty good. I dont know if there is a line in this league that pass blocks as well as it run blocks or vice versa, we cant all be the Cowboys of the 90's, however if our line can pass block at a B or B+ rate we could be the best line in the league because our guys can obviously Maul people in the run game.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Watched the game again. Focused on the starting O-line. They were dominant.

The starting O-line had one bad pass pro play when Iupati was beat badly on a swim move. Everything else was nearly flawless. The pressures were a result of Hunter failing to block a LB perfectly, and I guess the rest were due to coverage. Anthony Davis and Alex Boone are an awesome tandem.
The starting O-line was completely dominant in the running game, they were blowing some guys 5+ yards off the ball. It was ridiculous. The holding penalty called on Anthony Davis (where he made a dominant block) was pure non-sense.

The O-line was easily the most dominant unit in the game.

Yes. I get the same sense about the line. They seemed to pick up where they left off in the Vikes game. They created some huge holes for Frank, Hunter, and Jacobs against Houston. Pass protection needs more work. And maybe 3rd/4th and short could be better also. Not sure if that is the line or just Dixon...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone