LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY: Most Important

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Pretty good and fair read here on the OL.

49ers Offensive Line Review: Right Side Review

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/8/19/3253619/49ers-offensive-line-review-right-side-review

At least one part isn't consistent with what I'd typed out on my play by play, but I'll enjoy going back to see if I missed something.
I agree with most of this read, Davis and Boone have some work to do, although I didnt think that sack he mentioned was Boone's fault.

This was what I observed earlier, but I'll keep an open mind when reconsidering.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ok, after rewatching the first o-line's performance, we seem to be coming along but there are still things that need to be worked on.

*Anthony Davis was kind of up and down in my opinion. If not for the terrible replacement refs he would've gotten two false start penalties. It looks like he's setting up too wide and his man is getting to the qb as a result, especially on that first sack (i think it was the first one), he needs to get into his man earlier as opposed to just opening up and waiting for him to rush. Couple times he was slow off the ball, did show some ability to own his man though.

*Boone looks good in pass protection, looks like he knows who to block. Did see a couple things in his run blocking, particularly his pulling. He could have been quicker a few times, one play in particular where he got held up by the crashing d-lineman, had he gotten clean to the defensive end the play doesnt get blown up in the backfield. He will improve as he continues to get comfortable at guard.

*Iupati looked solid in the run game but got caught leaning pretty bad on that sack, he cant be getting beat on swim moves like that. Clearly the line's worst play of the night.

Goodwin and Staley looked solid.

On a side note, on that last sack where the Texans rushed five, I thought they picked up that blitz pretty well, Alex should have hit crabtree to the left when he hit his back foot, he saw that rush coming and took off.

Overall I think the pass blocking could look better but it wasnt terrible.

Thank you for this. I'm more concerned about the "hits" and pressures and forcing the QB to pull down and scramble instantly. What are you seeing there? QB's fault, good penetration from the DL while CB's have WR's locked down, etc.

I thinks the Texans D-line played very well against us, its not exactly as if their D is a bunch of pushovers, they made some plays. I'd say there were a couple of plays where Alex might have hung in a second longer and completed a pass. But Oldman9er's write up is pretty accurate, you should take a look at it for more insight.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/8/19/3253619/49ers-offensive-line-review-right-side-review

At least one part isn't consistent with what I'd typed out on my play by play, but I'll enjoy going back to see if I missed something.
I agree with most of this read, Davis and Boone have some work to do, although I didnt think that sack he mentioned was Boone's fault.

This was what I observed earlier, but I'll keep an open mind when reconsidering.

Gonna go back and take a look at it, maybe I was wrong.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Reminded me of the Baltimore game last year when the OLine could not figure out who to block or for how long, letting blitzers through untouched. Once again...too much pressure right up the middle. That's the bad! The good? They are in game two of preseason for gosh sakes! Lets not go crazy because they were fooled by unusual blitz packages. Run blocking was very good and pass blocking was good except for the blitz problem...so overall nothing to worry about--until GB.

So glad to hear the RBs are just nicked up and not out for much time. Jacobs is very impressive and Hunter impressed. Dixon made one good tough run and missed another but he did not have a hole that I could see on the latter.

Announcers were good except that they repeated the "fact" that the niners escaped injuries last year...not remembering the receiving staff where every member was injured, some out for the year. This misnomer has been repeated so many times it has become fact.

The D was OK but the DBs seemed to be porous. Of course, their first team was often playing against our second team...but that's good experience for the back ups.

Most non-49ers fans only think of the "named" players playing the most important positions such as Gore, V. Davis, Willis, A. Smith. They don't think of guys like Morgan, Edwards who were out for the big chunks of the season. It's rather weird that people kept talking about the moribund state of 49ers passing without thinking that without the starting receivers, it's pretty hard to pass the ball! A. Smith isn't the guy who can improvise with no name receivers - granted that most HOF QBs had WRs who turned out to be pretty good even if they started out as no names.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Most non-49ers fans only think of the "named" players playing the most important positions such as Gore, V. Davis, Willis, A. Smith. They don't think of guys like Morgan, Edwards who were out for the big chunks of the season. It's rather weird that people kept talking about the moribund state of 49ers passing without thinking that without the starting receivers, it's pretty hard to pass the ball! A. Smith isn't the guy who can improvise with no name receivers - granted that most HOF QBs had WRs who turned out to be pretty good even if they started out as no names.

Like your overall post and to the bolded part... been saying it for years. Well established and developed QBs can often work with less a bit more effectively. Despite the reality that Alex is a vet for several years, he was anything but well developed. The shoulder injuries plus constantly changing playbooks make him somewhat of a 2nd year QB with room to improve some more.

Gonna go back and take a look at it, maybe I was wrong.

I see what you guys mean on that sack, I blamed it on Davis because of his wide kick out, Boone looked right expecting to help Davis and saw no one there, so im assuming he thought the end blew by Davis and he turned to help leaving a wide open hole, upon further review the play probably would have turned out better if Boone stands his ground.
I see what you guys mean on that sack, I blamed it on Davis because of his wide kick out, Boone looked right expecting to help Davis and saw no one there, so im assuming he thought the end blew by Davis and he turned to help leaving a wide open hole, upon further review the play probably would have turned out better if Boone stands his ground.

Exactly what happened last year in Baltimore. The line needs to be a bit lighter on their feet and ready to drift quickly as needed. This is difficult when you are trying to anchor, as Person has learned by setting up under the QB's chin strap. Hope it has more to do with experience together rather than a lack of agility and quickness.
Thank you for this. I'm more concerned about the "hits" and pressures and forcing the QB to pull down and scramble instantly. What are you seeing there? QB's fault, good penetration from the DL while CB's have WR's locked down, etc.

There were a lot of designed roll outs to the right. I don't know why on earth we run them. It causes instant pressure.

In the pocket, Iupati got beat on a swim move, Hunter got beat by a linebacker, but everything else was clean.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
There were a lot of designed roll outs to the right. I don't know why on earth we run them. It causes instant pressure.

In the pocket, Iupati got beat on a swim move, Hunter got beat by a linebacker, but everything else was clean.

this

alex ran into 1 sack (i think it was the second 1) first one was a coverage sack

he did take a lot of hits but it was mainly due to roll outs

not concerned at all especially when we gameplan for blitz packages and all we will be fine
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this

alex ran into 1 sack (i think it was the second 1) first one was a coverage sack

not concerned at all especially when we gameplan for blitz packages and all we will be fine
you are a good poster and i hope you are right but yes i have a very uneasy feeling in my stomach about this offensive line, esp when it comes to pass protection. the RG spot does not appear to be settled at all and I refuse to believe we will automatically be better because of the loss of two bums from last year

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this

you are a good poster and i hope you are right but yes i have a very uneasy feeling in my stomach about this offensive line, esp when it comes to pass protection. the RG spot does not appear to be settled at all and I refuse to believe we will automatically be better because of the loss of two bums from last year

One bum, and one poor man.

I guarantee you the line will be epic improved this year. I challenge you to pick out the plays where Boone or Davis got beat after the snap. They haven't yet in the preseason. Staley has been clean too. Iupati had a hiccup and maybe Goodwin had one.
I am willing to eat the whole darn flock of crows on this one. The line will be very good this year.

When Smith moved up in the pocket the pocket was often not there and he had to scramble, pulling down the ball and attempting to run. I would like to see him throw the ball away quickly in those situations but I think he was trying to show he could use his legs as CK did the first game. He needs to think--"Preseason, do not get hit!"

The roll outs were used to counter Houston's quick DLine and worked to some extent. Good to use vanilla roll outs rather than give up plays that will be used when games count. Smith will not make it through the year if he keeps getting hit like this.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

When Smith moved up in the pocket the pocket was often not there and he had to scramble, pulling down the ball and attempting to run. I would like to see him throw the ball away quickly in those situations but I think he was trying to show he could use his legs as CK did the first game. He needs to think--"Preseason, do not get hit!"

The roll outs were used to counter Houston's quick DLine and worked to some extent. Good to use vanilla roll outs rather than give up plays that will be used when games count. Smith will not make it through the year if he keeps getting hit like this.

Agreed. If it was just this one pre season game (where the Texans took a '11 Saints approach BTW) I can understand. But the fact that this is a perpetual issue (esp. against good 3-4 defenses or blitz-disguising teams) concerns me. I still have no idea how Alex made it through last year w/o a serious injury. And now it's a pre season game and your starting QB is getting body slammed (had that been on his shoulder again?) and decapitated (twice). There is not a coach in the league who would "smile" about that. That's your season...one and done!

We've all been seriously concerned about the pass blocking through last year (44 sacks, lead the league in pressures/hits under 3 seconds, etc.) and then we'd see 6 games where only 7 sacks were given up and feel better, and then we were concerned again when we had to use jumbo packages (max protect) and keep extra backs, TE's and extra DL/OL in to protect Alex which left him with ONE single receiving option that was there or not (and if not, he was running for his life again), etc.

So to me, it's about creating a consistent pocket that the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. (even their backups) have gotten over the course of their careers if we are EVER to install year 2 of 3 of the WCO and utilize all our new weapons. With the same OL back from all of last year, we should not be talking about our starting QB getting seriously slammed 4 times (avoided a few others) in pre season no matter how we try to justify it. So it's still a concern no matter if it's the OL's fault, poor play calling, Alex, etc. or a combo of all.

It needs to be fixed now and the last thing Alex/Harbaugh should be doing is smiling about it...
Just have to say... the body-slam was more the fault of Alex than the OL. Sure, AD should have done more than just stand and shove the rusher out and away... BUT... how was he to know that Alex would foolishly drift to the right before throwing the sideline pass? Alex stated that he wasn't supposed to there... I guess I have to believe that.. coupled with what AD did. My feeling is that Alex believed he would be able to put more heat on his pass if he were on the move to his right.. and he paid a nasty price for this.

There were three pass plays where I wanted Alex to do better than he did... and the other two were under some duress.. and one of them could have been a good outcome had an OL had eyes in the back of his head and sustained a particular block.
The qbs you speak of are as responsible for that " consistent pocket" as their offensive lines are.
Share 49ersWebzone