LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 174 users in the forums

Could Michael Spurlock beat out Battle and Zeigler?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
When did Jones become a "LOCK" to make the team?

I think because of his 5+ million signing bonus and the good performances thus far (yes, it's early), most (including Maiocco + Barrows) have pretty much labeled him a lock.
I got nothing against Battle,he was a decent wr on a bad team,but the team has gotten better and he is looking the same.Plus like it or not MD,the guy is hurt a lot,even when he is not missing games.If he makes the team this year it will be because of his special teams play,I think we have better receivers than him already.Bruce/Morgan/Crabtree/Hill/Jones I would be willing to bet are the top 4..after that it is probably a toss up.Spurlock is interesting because of his versatility he showed in college.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by backontop:
When did Jones become a "LOCK" to make the team?

I think because of his 5+ million signing bonus and the good performances thus far (yes, it's early), most (including Maiocco + Barrows) have pretty much labeled him a lock.

Yeap. We're paying for the guy, so we might as well find a way to use him.
Wow.....pretty lively thread for a discussion of the 6th receiver on a 7-9 team. To me, this shows that the team is making real progress with its talent upgrade. I think this is a great debate (the Battle vs. Spurlock/Zeigler) because it actually does have ramifications.
If the Niners cut any or all of these guys, I'm thinking other teams will be interested. Well, just in the NFC West there are two teams on the lookout now for solid receivers..the Seahawks and Rams. I would love it if the Niners could keep any of these guys away from those teams but it is going to be difficult. That is why, in my mind, this is such an important decision.

If Battle is completely healthy (and if he is then he will contribute in a variety of ways to the team) he's in and if he is not, then I say go with Ziggy, the younger guy with upside. Just my two cents.
It'd be nice if we could get a draft pick for Battle. We have enough depth to take a chance on one of the younger guys
Bumping due to Spurlock's recent resurgence.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Bumping due to Spurlock's recent resurgence.

What did he do? Looks like to the interwebs I go

You think Hill is a lock to be on the roster ? huh ???????????????????????
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
It'd be nice if we could get a draft pick for Battle. We have enough depth to take a chance on one of the younger guys

Battle won't be cut
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:

I thought he was a lock to make the roster before training camp... now I'm not so sure. He seems to be below Spurlock, Battle, and Zeigler right now. I wouldn't mind keeping Spurlock and Zeigler and let Hill and Battle walk. I'm still hoping Hill can step it up though.

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by cNiner:

I thought he was a lock to make the roster before training camp... now I'm not so sure. He seems to be below Spurlock, Battle, and Zeigler right now. I wouldn't mind keeping Spurlock and Zeigler and let Hill and Battle walk. I'm still hoping Hill can step it up though.

I would keep Battle over Zeigler any day
  • Mex49
I think it is Hill that is the odd man out. Is this year 3 for him? With all the young up and comers and the off season addition of Jones, Hill needed to shine. Still we haven't played a single meaningful down yet but from all reports coming out of camp, Hill is taking a back seat. And if Battle stays healthy, forget about it
Both MM and MB speak of the coaching staff thinking highly of Spurlock, so there sure is quite a logjam at the WR position for the Niners.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/08/spurlock-the-mo.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A
ur just bored
It is a good thing that we have some nice depth at WR for a change. Glad to see that it is difficult to decide who stays and who goes.
Share 49ersWebzone