LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Which QB Would You Want to Lead This Team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which QB Would You Want to Lead This Team?

Originally posted by teeohh:
Shaun Hill because he has my trust now.

Ideally, Alex Smith. Who doesn't want our 1st round pick to pan out?

exactly after both of their play over the last 2yrs s hill has a winning record plus he makes plays happen a smith should only start if he outright wins the job but i havent heard of him makin hill look like he should backin him up looks like its still in the air but coach sing said it best the huddle will decide... But at the end of last yr im pretty sure they pickd s hill as their qb n nothings suggestd a swing... go hill... Or smithers who ever wins good luck go niners
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by fan49:
talk aLL you want the board is obviously speaking with this vote. and guess what elex is winning here with the fans....... nuff said.

LOL at people voting twice!!!

Btw who's elex??
lol all the voters voted twice on both sides. the board has spoken, not who should, not who will but who we as fans want. 9ner fans say we want smith. that just happened. in glad this poll happened
I like Alex's attitude and think he's a good kid. Wish him the best. But Shaun Hill has earned the right IMO to be the starter this year. Hill has just about half the wins Alex does in less than one season's worth of games. It's all about winning, bottom line!

Really neither one is the long term answer. So let's see how far Hill can take us. He has my vote this year unless Alex just completely lights it up in preseason and outshines him. Man I can't for the preseason already!
  • Faithful6
  • Info N/A
Aaron Rodgers in 08: 4038 yds, 32 total TDs, 93 rating

These are MVP type numbers folks for a young strong armed QB. The hated Packers have themselves a franchise QB who was born in Chico and wore a Joe Montana jersey under his Cal jersey and THE JOKE IS ON US.

Face it 49er fans, when it comes to QBs, we done f***ed up.
Originally posted by Faithful6:

These are MVP type numbers folks for a young strong armed QB. The hated Packers have themselves a franchise QB who was born in Chico and wore a Joe Montana jersey under his Cal jersey and THE JOKE IS ON US.

Facile. Do you think Rogers would have done better than Smith, had we drafted him? Of course not.

He went to a team who could develop him slowly bahind a great qb and when he was put in he had stability, protection and targets.

So your point simply doesn't hold up
  • carl
  • Veteran
This isn't quite the "Joe vs Steve" thread of yestercentury, but it's a pretty hot topic. I gotta get my comments in.

I'll have to say that I like Shaun Hill over Smith. But I like Alex Smith and I'd like to see him get his chance as well. I'm very happy that the 49ers have two guys that I think can play well for us. And at the end of this thread, that's the important thing.

Reasons I like Shaun Hill, which I think are obvious, is his ability to make plays. Like that time *he* fumbled the snap, picked up the ball and immediately found the open receiver. I'm not sure we'll ever see Alex be able to do anything like that.

I think that Shaun Hill is far more accurate than Alex Smith. Especially in the flat and short passing game. Maybe Alex can throw a 50 yard dart better than Hill, but so much of that accuracy is disguised by the receivers altering their routes to catch the ball. And even in Smiths glory year under Turner, when he scrambled and threw the dink pass to Gore for the TD, Gore had to jump up and grab the ball from over his head. No doubt, Shaun would of his Gore in the bread basket.

Records are nice, but in the end they're just statistics. So I'll just only briefly make reference to Shaun Hills superior percentage of wins. Tho it's significantly higher than Alex Smiths.

Now for the splitting hair comment... Shaun has never had an off season of being "the man". Even last year he was third and Martz's whipping boy. Thru all of that diversity, he's played outstanding. Alex has always been at least the second guy on the team, usually first. And yet, here we are arguing over who's better. Without a level playing field, Shaun has still outperformed Alex. Let's give Shaun the chance to be the guy and see how much better he can get.

And for purely selfish entertainment value, I love watching Shaun Hill drop back for a pass. He's the Joe Biden of the team... the Dan Quail. He's so ungraceful the way he stumbles back into his 5 step drop. But when he finally gets back there, he can find the open guy and throw a wobbly duck right between the numbers... it aint pretty and it's certainly not the grace that Alex brings to the position. But he gets the job done. Every time Shaun drops back to pass I feel fear and worry and then elation when the receiver makes the catch. And I just don't get that quality entertainment or range of emotions watching Alex... or a JTO... or a Dorsey... or a Rattay... or a ...

GO NINERS!!!
Smith WILL be the 49ERS QB! Its coming, get rdy....
Smith is on the rise and he will be named the starter by the end of training camp.
Originally posted by GONINERS09:

f**k THAT!!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Facile. Do you think Rogers would have done better than Smith, had we drafted him? Of course not.

He went to a team who could develop him slowly bahind a great qb and when he was put in he had stability, protection and targets.

So your point simply doesn't hold up

There's no way of proving if Rodgers could or couldn't. But from my opinion, I think Rodgers wouldn't have done as bad and we wouldn't have seen as much struggle. For instance Rodgers has experience taking snaps from under center and making reads while doing it. With Rodgers, his main problem with his mechanics coming outta college was that he held the ball too high, right next to his ear, that's all corrected now. But that's just my opinion on how Rodgers would've struggled less.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Alex Smith supporters are in denial.

Hopefully he'll sit on the bench for 16 games again this year.

I don't want the Niners to continue to waste time on that failed experiment.

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 22, 2009 at 09:28:20 ]
Originally posted by crzy:

Originally posted by crzy:

Well thank god your not making the decisions! I bet you would have let JT O'Sullivan stay in as the starter last season and Chilo Rachal would still be on the bench.

Nonsense. If Rodgers would have come to the Niners, he'd be in the same shape or worse than Smith is now. Even Rodgers admitted that Smith has been in a bad situation and that he was better off sitting there for a few seasons watching Favre. He said this in an interview before last season.
Share 49ersWebzone