LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 263 users in the forums

Vernon Davis "is the focal point"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • NM49ERFAN
  • Info N/A
i think if VD doesn't have a breakout season or even look like he has improved in his catching ability, we just have a good blocking tight end. If Raye can't bring out his potential, i don't think anyone can.
More Plays like this VD I know you can do it. http://niners.fandome.com/video/106117/Week-Vernon-Davis-TD-catch/
Originally posted by stevenking57:
They also need to throw to the guy more than 1 or 2 times a game. He needs to touch the ball 6-8 times a game to have an impact. How good would Gore be if he only carried the ball 5 times a game? Get the ball into his hands 5-15 yards down the field and watch how well his yards after the catch production will be.

exactly, people fail to see this. how is he supposed to get yards and TD's if he doesnt get the ball thrown to him
How could VD develop as a pass catcher when Nowin had 90% of VD's practice dedicated to blocking?

He was mis-used just like Manny. Now with better coaching we'll get away from tinkering and get back to basics.
Let's see what he can do with the spotlight on him. He hasn't lived up to his draft status yet, but he hasn't been the "focal point" of the offense either.

NINER MADMAN
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I don't understand where people get the "hands of stone" crap. He dropped about 5 passes and is no where near the top of the list in the NFL. Some of these same people wanted to trade for Braylon Edwards. Anyway, Vernon has given a great deal and has proved himself as a blocker when we ran a Mike Martz offense. His skill set has been underused and has the potential to be a great receiving tightend for the 49ers. In my opinion, the only thing holding him back has been the play book, not him.
  • IronOrr1685
  • Info N/A
As a 49ers Faithful every year my hope is high and the wishing well is full of pennies and quarters that this is the year Our 49ers brake out. I know that there is a lot of work that needs to be done and the puzzle isnt completed, but one of the things that get the kennel boiling is using the "B" word on V. Davis.
Now let me Define the word "Bust"
A: To burst
B: To go bankrupt
C: to collapse from the strain of making a supreme effort.
D: and my favorite, a NFL player who gets paid truck loads of money who plays like an All Star Pee Wee Contender.

Lets be rational alright... in every family there's going to be some rough edges and when you have an rough edge you got to smooth it out. But if the edges get smoothed and become rough again, and again and again then its time to look at the Smoother. Now that we have yet again another smother (Mike Sing) lets hold off on the "B" word and put some more faith into the Red and Gold.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Wiseman:
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by Chief:
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF
Vernon Davis expects to play a significant role in the 49ers' offense under the direction of new coordinator Jimmy Raye, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Davis said, "Raye told me the tight end is the focal point. I am looking forward it. He said he wants to get his playmakers involved." Davis has the physical tools to dominate at the position, but he only caught 31 passes for 358 yards and two scores last season while ignored in Mike Martz's offense. Davis looks to bounce back in 2009, and could finally be headed for a breakout campaign.

http://www.fleaflicker.com/showHeadlines.do

Ignored cause he has hands of stone. Awesome physical specimen who can't catch.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=2007

Yup, doesn't even make the top 20 in the NFC, but he's got hands of stone? Perhaps this idea that he drops everything is just blown way out of proportion?

yea, this has been mentioned before and people don't listen. The guys on that list got thrown to and caught a lot but vernon made 52 catches. That is not a small number and to have fewer than 6 drops is pretty good. Plus, he has been noted as improving this year in camps and OTAs. Let's see how he does come August.

And this has been mentioned before and people don't listen as well. The year he made his 52 catches. He may not have been on that list for most drops. I believe T.O. lead the league in drops that year. But on a drops per target average. Vernon dropped the ball more frequently than T.O. did that year.

But I do agree that his drops gets blown out of proportion. As does his "potential".
too much expectations for VD , needs to take it easy and run the short routes use him as if you use any TE, then you go every once in a while send him deep but first let him use his God given ability and catch short and try to break tackles and not fumble the ball then you keep feeding him the ball and on the outsid you have Crab , and Morgan. so , we have VD, Crab & Morgan. Dang we need a clinic !
Serious question for Kizray - as the board's most vocal critic of Vernon Davis, what will it take for you to get off his back? What kind of a season would Davis have to have to make you glad he's the #1 TE on the team?

Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Serious question for Kizray - as the board's most vocal critic of Vernon Davis, what will it take for you to get off his back? What kind of a season would Davis have to have to make you glad he's the #1 TE on the team?

I'm not Krizay but for starters, i'm sure it will take more than one wonder season.

-9fA

even if he is the top TE , what his #'s going to be 90 catches 900 yards and 7td or 9 !

he had 52 and 400 yards don't about the TD but you see were i am going with this not much of a diffrence going to be ! Unless Crab goes off or Morgan & D 's pay attention to them insted of VD and he goes off then he score 20 td or somthing like that !

I wish I wish
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I'm not Krizay but for starters, i'm sure it will take more than one wonder season.

-9fA

OK, one "wonder season" under the right OC would convince me that he's capable of having a "wonder season." And, that would be fantastic.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

OK, one "wonder season" under the right OC would convince me that he's capable of having a "wonder season." And, that would be fantastic.

Same here, it would give me some hope, but it wouldn't settle my doubts.

-9fA
  • TheDuke
  • Info N/A
its about time !
Share 49ersWebzone