LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Sure he'll have a breakout season.....

Holding the clipboard behind Shaun Hill. Alex Smith sucks. sorry all you Smith lovers, he had his chance. Time to move on.

Ah, I see what you did there. You faked us out with all the extra space. Props, dude.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
defense...so neither quarterback has an excuse, i expect wins this season...

Great post Mali, especially on the quoted: Totally agreed.

Either QB is fine with me, but if they falter I want a quick trigger finger on the switch.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
the haters seem to all easily forget that he hasnt played a healthy game since that steelers game 2 years ago...yes he came in later in that season, but was pressured to play by nolan while still injured...

in the first 3 games of that season when he was healthy, he played well...especially considering who was calling the offense, we so easily forget that...not to mention darrell jackson dropping touchdown passes in all 3 of those games...only one of which were made up on the same drive..

smith didnt play great against the steelers in that game...but it was against the steelers defense in pittsburgh, even really good quarterbacks have some pretty bad games in there..

2006 is the only season we can really evaluate his play, and when you consider it was his first full season starting, under a new offense, with 0 big dynamic receivers outside of bryant who was inconsistent and out of the starting lineup for a good chunk of games...he had a good season, that showed progression as the season went on, and we all watched him play better and better as we finished that season strong...

that off season everyone was satisfied with his play, and felt he was finally coming into his own, THAT is where we need to be with him now....because really he is only 3 healthy games away from that point...in the last 10 games alex smith played the entire game healthy in he is 5-5(7-5 in last 12) vs shaun hills 7-3 record as a starter...

either quarterback can start for me, i like them both on equal ground right now, but now, we have an offense, we have receivers, playmakers, we have a solid offensive line that began to really gel at the end of last season, we have a strong defense...so neither quarterback has an excuse, i expect wins this season...

If you like both QBs, the fact that only one of them has franchise potential should probably tip the balance, imo. Props to Hill for what he's done, but I honestly think it's in the interest of the franchise to stack the deck a bit in Smith's favor for this so-called open competition.

With two first round picks coming up, knowing what we have in our young QB is an absolute must. If they thought he was a bust, they would have cut him already.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Before Alex was crushed by Rocky Fatard, were people calling him a bust, saying that he flat out sucks? For the most part no, he looked like he was improving and on his way to being a quality QB, especially the way he threw in that game in Pittsburgh, which is the last time we really saw Alex Smith, and that was with Hostler's offense for stupid people. Remember the "Free Alex" shirts? Why do people think he sucks as a QB now just because he's been hurt?

He's healthy again, and probably has an enormous chip on his shoulder. I think Shaun Hill wins the job, but if Smith wins it or Hill is hurt, there is reason to believe Alex can really break out.

omg, a rational post by a wz member

Originally posted by Method:

Either QB is fine with me, but if they falter I want a quick trigger finger on the switch.

Meth buddy, what up.

I have to agree with Maiocco though... let Shaun Hill start the season at QB. Then if Hill falters or gets injured, Smitty can come in with no pressure and try to deliver.

You start Smitty week one, and there will be no patience from the media or the fans. Shaun has earned his shot.

So let Alex sit and spot Shaun. If Shaun goes down or falters, then Smitty can return.
If he starts and fails, that's it, no more dragging this out -- time to develop Nate.

I think though, if he does start, he will have to have earned it.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:22 AM ]
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Meth buddy, what up.

I have to agree with Maiocco though... let Shaun Hill start the season at QB. Then if Hill falters or gets injured, Smitty can come in with no pressure and try to deliver.

You start Smitty week one, and there will be no patience from the media or the fans. Shaun has earned his shot.

So let Alex sit and spot Shaun. If Shaun goes down or falters, then Smitty can return.

What if Shaun never quite "falters"? At what point in him being "merely okay" do we bench him anyway? I think there has to be a sense of urgency in declaring Smith a bust or starter once and for all. We didn't draft him as a career backup.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Before Alex was crushed by Rocky Fatard, were people calling him a bust, saying that he flat out sucks? For the most part no, he looked like he was improving and on his way to being a quality QB, especially the way he threw in that game in Pittsburgh, which is the last time we really saw Alex Smith, and that was with Hostler's offense for stupid people. Remember the "Free Alex" shirts? Why do people think he sucks as a QB now just because he's been hurt?

He's healthy again, and probably has an enormous chip on his shoulder. I think Shaun Hill wins the job, but if Smith wins it or Hill is hurt, there is reason to believe Alex can really break out.

omg, a rational post by a wz member

I HAS A SMART

Meth buddy, what up.

I'd like to find out once and for all if Smith can be our starter on week 1.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Meth buddy, what up.

I'd like to find out once and for all if Smith can be our starter on week 1.

Surely you are not suggesting that one week is enough to judge. If you are saying we need to find out BEGINNING in week 1, then we are on the same page!

Originally posted by TowelBoy:

Meth buddy, what up.

What if Shaun never quite "falters"? At what point in him being "merely okay" do we bench him anyway? I think there has to be a sense of urgency in declaring Smith a bust or starter once and for all. We didn't draft him as a career backup.

TowelBoy, you have a very strange name, but I like you very much. You should teach these other "noobs" how to post properly as a new member of the zone. Welcome buddy.

Such a good point you have. Hill may be "OK" the entire season and steer us towards 8-8. Could Smitty potentially do better? I know what Scotty Mac's answer is.

I think you just have to play it out in preseason. Let Shaun start a game and Smitty start a game. If Alex shows up to play and plays well, it will be obvious who should start week one.

I guess!
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Much appreciated. My "noobness" will show through at times. The 49ers have been my favorite NFL team for most of my life, but my knowledge is superficial. I'm not going to be the guy posting depth charts and scouting reports, and I often am forced to follow box scores instead of actual games.

Anyway, I'm here to learn and to get my Niner knowledge up near the level of my first love: my favorite NBA basketball team, my past employment with which is the source of my screen name in all online sport fan communities . One thing you won't find me doing is being obnoxious or corrosive in the course of discussion or attempting to portray a greater level of expertise than I actually possess.
[ Edited by TowelBoy on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM ]
Originally posted by SJniner7:
At least IF, and I mean "if", he does get the start, no more sorry alexcuses for his behind. Supposed he does start, and stink it up, the bust label would be official...

Yep. If he started and stunk it up, everyone can call him a bust and I'd agree. But until that day comes (and it won't), I'll continue to chant "FREE ALEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!"

Until what day comes, him starting or him stinking it up?
This is one case I would like to be terribly mistaken.

I hope Al Smith proves me and others totally out to lunch when we say it ain't gonna to happen.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
This is one case I would like to be terribly mistaken.

I hope Al Smith proves me and others totally out to lunch when we say it ain't gonna to happen.

I'll drink to that. Last year when I found out Alex was going to miss the entire season with a shoulder injury, I was just about out of patience. CUT THIS GUY LOOSE, I exclaimed. It's do or die time.
Share 49ersWebzone