There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wow, really? In the last 3 years Battle has played in 39 out of 48 games. During those 3 years, 2 of them he led our receivers and last year he was having a solid year until being hurt. He has very few drops and is an extremely reliable WR.

And now people are bumping him off the roster because of .....Zeigler? The guy as thin as a rail with a total of 5 receptions in his career when our offense moves towards a run power offense? Who is Zeigler going to block, the other team's coach?

Obviously if Battle is still hurt come TC, his roster spot may be in jeopardy, but as they say, the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

It bears repeating, that Battle's season ending injury last year was a foot injury, nothing to do with his chronic knee problems.

You obviously don't get it, old man. So, let me go through the drill with you.
1) Find a player you don't like.
2) Give no explanation why you don't like him.
3) Make up all kinds of false statements against that player.
4) Watch the board buy these faulty argument.

Get on board, old man.

P.S. The joy, of course, is there is no accountability. It doesn't matter if your statements are true or false, because we should all embrace your right to post.

When someone with more than two brain cells comes around to denounce the error-filled argument, you can call them all kinds of mean names. How dare they attempt to correct your error! How arrogant! The truth doesn't matter; we just want to make sure everyone has the right to post, that nobody has their feelings hurt.

Cheers, my friend!

Although I see your point as to the first portion of your post--there are some who post who have taken a dislike to some player or another, and resort to bashing that player. Sometimes they do so after others, who are paying closer attention, have analysed a player's abilities and correctly criticized the player's contributions. (TBC comes to mind.)

As to the second part of your post, however, the attempt to correct or challenge a mistaken argument, I think that many posters are willing to listen to reason, and pay attention to facts, and may be swayed somewhat by statistics. The key is to present such information without losing one's temper with those who may not pay attention to the details in the first place. Hard to change someone's mind while you're calling them names, even if the name calling is in retaliation. IMHO.

I must disagree with your statement that "there is no accountability." No one wants to get "owned" by making an entirely erroneous post--and that's what happens when someone gets caught posting completely incorrect information. If it happens often enough, then that person loses their credibility.

BTW, who's this "old man" to whom you are speaking? (FYI, "old dude" is not the same as "old man," I just didn't want to be mistaken for a 13 year old).

You get the craziest fans on the 'Zone though.

I'll never forget how big the Cody Pickett bandwagon was. Every single year, there is a large portion of the 'Zoners who pick some career backup/ practice squad player and are completely convinced that he is not only far better then the starter, but in fact a future Hall of Famer.

Edit: But I have to admit, I made my own major blunder. I use to think Barlow was going to be awesome

The thing that's unusual in this debate though is no one is saying Battle should be a starter. We are just talking about depth at the WR position, and Battle happens to be a decent veteran, signed through the 2009 season. But for whatever reason there are a group of fans that can't wait to run him out of town. The rush to cut players under contract before having better ones doesn't make a lot of sense to me - especially in a position that needs at least five players.

Yeah I agree. Battle will be fighting for a starting a spot and some people want us to cut him?
Wow, really? In the last 3 years Battle has played in 39 out of 48 games. During those 3 years, 2 of them he led our receivers and last year he was having a solid year until being hurt. He has very few drops and is an extremely reliable WR.

And now people are bumping him off the roster because of .....Zeigler? The guy as thin as a rail with a total of 5 receptions in his career when our offense moves towards a run power offense? Who is Zeigler going to block, the other team's coach?

Obviously if Battle is still hurt come TC, his roster spot may be in jeopardy, but as they say, the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

It bears repeating, that Battle's season ending injury last year was a foot injury, nothing to do with his chronic knee problems.

Get on board, old man.

P.S. The joy, of course, is there is no accountability. It doesn't matter if your statements are true or false, because we should all embrace your right to post.

When someone with more than two brain cells comes around to denounce the error-filled argument, you can call them all kinds of mean names. How dare they attempt to correct your error! How arrogant! The truth doesn't matter; we just want to make sure everyone has the right to post, that nobody has their feelings hurt.

Cheers, my friend!

Although I see your point as to the first portion of your post--there are some who post who have taken a dislike to some player or another, and resort to bashing that player. Sometimes they do so after others, who are paying closer attention, have analysed a player's abilities and correctly criticized the player's contributions. (TBC comes to mind.)

As to the second part of your post, however, the attempt to correct or challenge a mistaken argument, I think that many posters are willing to listen to reason, and pay attention to facts, and may be swayed somewhat by statistics. The key is to present such information without losing one's temper with those who may not pay attention to the details in the first place. Hard to change someone's mind while you're calling them names, even if the name calling is in retaliation. IMHO.

I must disagree with your statement that "there is no accountability." No one wants to get "owned" by making an entirely erroneous post--and that's what happens when someone gets caught posting completely incorrect information. If it happens often enough, then that person loses their credibility.

BTW, who's this "old man" to whom you are speaking? (FYI, "old dude" is not the same as "old man," I just didn't want to be mistaken for a 13 year old).

I'll never forget how big the Cody Pickett bandwagon was. Every single year, there is a large portion of the 'Zoners who pick some career backup/ practice squad player and are completely convinced that he is not only far better then the starter, but in fact a future Hall of Famer.

Edit: But I have to admit, I made my own major blunder. I use to think Barlow was going to be awesome

The thing that's unusual in this debate though is no one is saying Battle should be a starter. We are just talking about depth at the WR position, and Battle happens to be a decent veteran, signed through the 2009 season. But for whatever reason there are a group of fans that can't wait to run him out of town. The rush to cut players under contract before having better ones doesn't make a lot of sense to me - especially in a position that needs at least five players.

One only needs to consider what the state of the WR corps would be like if Bruce had decided to retire, or if he were to go down with an injury. Battle adds valuable depth and experience at the position, and has always been productive. No reason to expect he'd be otherwise this year.

Of course, if we draft Crabtree at #10, then the competition at WR gets very interesting for all concerned, including Battle.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

Yeah I agree. Battle will be fighting for a starting a spot and some people want us to cut him?

People on the Zone have been trying to blow him out of town for more than three years now. Anyone remember the Team Lelie arguments over the past two summers?

Battle was a late round draftee, a converted QB, and has been nothing but a good guy. And yet, every year, it is the same moronic chant to cast him onto the street.

Look, this may be the end of Battle for our franchise. But I believe he deserves some respect in the process (he has been a consumate pro), and for people to be honest about him (there have been numerous posts in the past that are flat out wrong...some intentional and some unintentional). The "injuries" crowd find it impossible to fathom that he played more than 2 1/2 straight seasons (every game) consecutively. In their warped mindset, he never steps on the field, or is absent from every other game. I can point to stats, point to the websites that verify his consecutive streak, but the same blank stare comes back my way....It can't be true.

I will admit the truth: My one weakness on this forum is blowing a gasket when individuals on the board misrepresent a player just because they...don't like him. Haven't we gone through this before with Battle, Heitmann, Derek Smith. When did any of these guys done anything but help the franchise? And yet, they were/are always the bad guys. If only we could get rid of them, and play.....the Great Ahmad Brooks.

In other words, where are all the: "Is Jason Hill really worth a roster spot at this point?" threads.

After leading his team in receptions for over 2 1/2 years, I think Battle deserves a bit more respect than a player who has produced little to nothing.

And yet, I fully expect another....I've lost count.....is it 24,785th anti-Battle post...in the next few days. We really need a clinical psychologist to understand the mindset of these individuals. Absolutely pathetic.
Battle was a late round draftee, a converted QB, and has been nothing but a good guy. And yet, every year, it is the same moronic chant to cast him onto the street.

Look, this may be the end of Battle for our franchise. But I believe he deserves some respect in the process (he has been a consumate pro), and for people to be honest about him (there have been numerous posts in the past that are flat out wrong...some intentional and some unintentional).

Yes! I have never understood why any fan wouldn't like this player.

Exactly. Actually, when I voted, I read the question wrong. I don't come to Niner Talk much during the off-season (as you can see why), and couldn't believe that there are people who don't think Battle deserves a spot on the team.

I can give some members a benefit of doubt who think he is injury prone, because every week it seems like he is injured, but the son of a gun shows up for every game and performs better than all of our WRs, even though he has injuries.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

People on the Zone have been trying to blow him out of town for more than three years now. Anyone remember the Team Lelie arguments over the past two summers?

Look, this may be the end of Battle for our franchise. But I believe he deserves some respect in the process (he has been a consumate pro), and for people to be honest about him (there have been numerous posts in the past that are flat out wrong...some intentional and some unintentional). The "injuries" crowd find it impossible to fathom that he played more than 2 1/2 straight seasons (every game) consecutively. In their warped mindset, he never steps on the field, or is absent from every other game. I can point to stats, point to the websites that verify his consecutive streak, but the same blank stare comes back my way....It can't be true.

I will admit the truth: My one weakness on this forum is blowing a gasket when individuals on the board misrepresent a player just because they...don't like him. Haven't we gone through this before with Battle, Heitmann, Derek Smith. When did any of these guys done anything but help the franchise? And yet, they were/are always the bad guys. If only we could get rid of them, and play.....the Great Ahmad Brooks.

In other words, where are all the: "Is Jason Hill really worth a roster spot at this point?" threads.

After leading his team in receptions for over 2 1/2 years, I think Battle deserves a bit more respect than a player who has produced little to nothing.

And yet, I fully expect another....I've lost count.....is it 24,785th anti-Battle post...in the next few days. We really need a clinical psychologist to understand the mindset of these individuals. Absolutely pathetic.

I agree with your premise: Battle is a veteran who deserves our respect. (I am surprised to hear that you have only one weakness. I have more that I care to count.)

I believe much of what causes these kinds of threads can be traced back to our former HC, one Nolan by name. He had a tendency to play certain of "his" guys despite their obvious failings, and that caused some on this board to rant and rail about them. Derek Smith comes to mind as perhaps an example of a guy who was left on the field a year too long. Roman is another example. While I respected their contributions, at some point, its time to move on.

I believe Singletary is changing some of this, and doing a better job of playing some of the younger guys on the team. I would not be surprised to see him releasing some of those who are unable to perform up to his standards. (Brooks may hit the bricks at some point in the near future if his work habits do not suffice, I believe.)

Battle is not, and should not be considered one of those guys. He has always been productive, hard working, and a contributor to whatever success the team had. He does, in fact, deserve our respect. IMHO.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.

People don't know what Zeigler can bring to the table. Everyone knows what Battle brings, and it isn't much. I think people are tired of the mediocrity and would rather see what the young guys on the team can do instead of seeing the same irrelevant "production" from a guy like Battle. Battle has only had a few GOOD games since he was drafted. That's not good enough.

You don't think the coaching staff knows what Zeigler can contribute?

Anyone paying attention has seen his ability to contribute on the field. He's got some ability catching the ball, meaning he can make some catches in traffic. However, he's very thin, and doesn't appear to be a very good downfield blocker, and his ability to gain yards after the catch is questionable. He showed guts when they put him in at punt returner, but also made some bad mental mistakes, and showed little, if any promise there.

The coaching staff certainly knows what Battle brings to the table, and they know what Ziegler brings as well--and there's a reason Ziegler was only a PS player for the past two seasons and not on the active roster with Battle.

The coaching staff obviously didn't know what Shaun Hill brought to the table until he was given a chance on gameday. So no, the coaching staff does not know what Zeigler brings to the table ON GAMEDAY because he hasn't been given the chance to show them. They only know what he can do on the practice field, which means nothing at all on Sunday.

Ummmm sorry wrong answer. QB and WR are two VERY different animals when it comes to practice. A QB may not look good in practice but that doesn't exactly transfer to the field. Ala Shaun Hill. Though I still think that he looks no better on the field than Alex does. That's just my opinion.

WR however, should be able to run solid routes and catch the ball DURING practice more than ANY other time he wears his uniform. Because that is how he gets ON the field. If he is a lazy route runner in practice how in sam hell can he expect to get on the field and prove his worth? I bet Jerry would completely disagree with you also, given his KNOWN work ethic and how he approached the game.

So I would pose this question to you; If Jerry were a solid Vet who put the time in practice to work on his game and did it well, then Zeigler (by your account) got on the field over him(to see what he does) is that even right or fair? I think not.

~Ceadder

Have you ever SEEN Zeigler on the practice field? I have. He runs good routes and has hands as good as anyone on the team. Being good during practice does not automatically transfer onto the field anyway and the same is true for the opposite side of the argument. Taylor Jacobs was awsome in practice, yet he stunk it up on the field. Zeigler is not a bad practice player, anyway. I think it's his skinny frame that keeps him off the field, but that doesn't mean he can't handle the job if they give him the opportunity. They just THINK he can't do it, just like they THOUGHT Shaun Hill couldn't handle the QB position. Alex Smith looks better than anyone else on the team during practice, but he sucks ass on gameday. I know you love him and all, but it's the truth - and I was one of his biggest supporters. The point is you don't know what you have until you give them an opportunity to show you when it actually counts.

By the way, don't ever compare Jerry Rice to Arnaz Battle again. Would I want to sit the most productive WR in history to see what we have in Zeigler? NO! Would I want to sit a mediocre (AT BEST) WR who doesn't make much impact on a game (most of the time, there are a few games that he actually impacted) to see what we have in another player? YES! Try another comparison because that one is not even close.

Ummmmm, I compared Rice to Battle???

Where and when and in what scenario are you basing this on?

I think that you need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.

If Zeigler was the BEST WR of Battle Zeigler or (?), the it stands to reason that he would have STARTED over the rest. But he didn't start. Did he?

That was my point that I was making with Jerry being brought up to drive the point home. But aparently Zeigler is an absolute stud in practice. Well I have seen him play and he is AVERAGE at best. That's not exactly bad, but c'mon the guy should be giving 200% to supplant Battle or any other Starting Receiver in the eyes of the coaching staff. That's not just my opinion but a fact that is often being overlooked by those suggesting that Battle needs to move on.

If Zeilger proves himself in practice then and ONLY then should he supplant anyone on the depth chart. I've played the game. I wasn't the fastest or the strongest at my respective positions but I busted my @$$ and gave myself every opportunity I could to get on the field come Friday. I ran all the time. To the huddle From the field, the play and back to the Huddle. I ran solid routes, knew the playbook and where I was supposed to be to give my coach a REASON to put me on the field.

I never stated that Zeigler was not a good practice player. But he's oibviously not standing out in practice either. Cause IF he was he would have already supplanted at least 3 Receivers. That's just the Lord's honest truth. Sorry if you read into it what I do not wrwite, but that is beyond my control.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM ]
Wow, shocker!!! Another Battle-bashing post. Original. Genius. Creative. Can't wait for the next one. Went through withdrawals after the 3,476th anti-Battle posts was written a few weeks ago. Just needed another to get through the day. Thanks.

For the record, Battle led the team in receptions through Week 8, even though he was a backup.

But, who needs to keep their leading receiver, and best blocking WR? Very overrated.

P.S. It may extremely difficult for some to comprehend, and some who live in a fantasy world refuse to embrace, but Battle played every game in 2006, every game in 2007 and played the first half of 2008. That would be at least 40+ consecutive games, for those of you playing at home. Can we end the urban legend that he is "always hurt"? A consecutive streak of 40+ games is "always hurt". Now, that is legendary brilliance. Only the true genius of many Webzone members could cultivate and buy this turdish argumentation. 2006 and 2007, and the first half of 2008 never happened. A miracle!!! Congratulations, Club Mensa!!!!

Maybe, just maybe, someone will actually write an accurate and fair post on Battle someday. Until then, lunacy will continue to reign.

P.S. "Now, MadDog, you are being mean again. You think you are so smart, and look down on us. How dare you?" Blah, blah, blah, blah.

And......Eric Heitmann is still a good football player.

I was wondering when, and if, you were going to show up and join those of us who have been posting in support of Battle in this thread. There are several of us, but we appear to be in the minority in this thread, (which probably does not reflect the consensus of the entire zone about Battle).

However, I've got to say, the tone of your post does not appear to be very helpful to those of us who have tried to support and defend Battle in this thread.

Angrily ranting insults at those who dare to express a negative opinion about Battle at this stage of his career seems unlikely to change anyone's mind about him. Nor does it allow the more factual, and reasonable parts of your argument in favor of Battle to appear in their most persuasive light.

P.S. Its surprising that someone who taught psychology at the college level wouldn't realize this.

My tone is intended to whack the same mindless people who continuously infiltrate the board, spewing all kinds of misinformation, especially against players who have been classy performers for our team.

Any two-bit moron (some would say I qualify for this title) can go to NFL.com, type in Arnaz Battle, and review his playing career. And yet, this "always injured" statement emerges almost every other week, on a new and stale anti-Battle rant.

Haven't we been on this path.....for about the 1000th time. Every offseason, Battle is the pariah of this team, the guy we should cut. And every year, he goes out there and outperforms the trail of WR carcasses we've had on this team: Bryant, Jackson, Lelie, Johnson. And, yet, as soon as a new year emerges, here comes the same warn out, beat up argument. Let's dump him again. Surely someone remembers the Lelie-Battle arguments on this board in both 2007 and 2008.

Did any of these anti-Battle people who write these anti-Battle threads even watch the first half of 2008. Did they watch the games in 2007 and 2006? I think a profound whacking is fair game. And justly deserved. I will not coddle ignorance and prejudice. Do I sound like Dr. King at this point....

When will people learn, Arnaz Battle is a cockroach in a nuclear holocaust. It will not die.

Thanks for your kind comments, but you have to remember that my monicker is MadDog, not PlayfulPup. And, you will notice that I am much more pleasant in the other forum.

"When will people learn, Arnaz Battle is a cockroach in a nuclear holocaust. It will not die."

Oh so so so, so so so very true.

I did not realize that you were a Prof MadDog. No wonder why more often than not I respect what you bring to this board. Still wrong about Alex but nobody is perfect and that includes College Profs.

~Ceadder
Yes.

Big, good route runner, field smart, vacuum cleaner hands, solid return ability.

This is a no-brainer
Crabtree should wear #83 as it will probably be available.

Honestly, I think a Crabtree, Morgan, and Battle receiving corp would be great and even better on running plays allowing for Gore to get more 20+ runs.

Unfortunately, Battle is hurt too often and Hill has shown to be a very reliable #3.

The competition at WR during TC and Preseason will be interesting. For the first time in a long time, we will be letting receivers go that other teams would be happy to acquire.

This is when true competition makes a team better: when you have too much talent.

The QB competition is a joke.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM ]
So he can hopefully land with another team. We don't need this dude anymore!

We'll go into the season like this:

Bruce
Morgan
Crabtree
Jones
Hill
Agreed
I third that
Yeah, it pains me to say this, but I would have to agree.

Battle has been a good soldier for our team and even though he's not a Pro Bowler, he's always seemed like our Hines Ward, except without the rings and stats and as bad as that is, he's still one of my favorite Niners.

I hate to see him go, but I wish him nothing but the best.