LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quarterbacks:

Keep 3:

13 Shaun Hill
11 Alex Smith
7 Nate Davis

Cut 1:

14 Damon Huard

Running backs/Fullbacks:

Keep 5:

21 Frank Gore(RB)
44 Moran Norris(FB)
29 Glen Coffee(RB)
24 Michael Robinson(RB/FB)
30 Kory Sheets(RB)

Cut 2:

45 Zak Keasey(FB)
33 Thomas Clayton(RB)

Wide Receivers:

Keep 6:

88 Isaac Bruce
84 Josh Morgan
81 Brandon Jones
15 Michael Crabtree
89 Jason Hill
83 Arnaz Battle

Practice Squad 1:

17 Dominique Zeigler

Cut 4 :

19 Mark Bradford
10 Maurice Price
82 Dobson Collins
18 Michael Spurlock

Tight Ends:

Keep 3:

85 Vernon Davis
46 Delanie Walker
48 Bear Pascoe

Practice Squad 1:

49 J.J. Finley

Offensive Line:

Keep 9:

66 Eric Heitmann(C)
74 Joe Staley(LT)
71 Marvel Smith(RT)
64 David Baas(LG)
62 Chilo Rachasl(RG)
68 Adam Snyder(OT/OG)
69 Tony Wragge(OG/C)
59 Cody Wallace(C)
75 Alex Boone(RT/LT)

Practice Squad 2:

76 Kyle Howard(OG)
77 Jacob Bender(OT)

Cut 3:

65 Barry Sims(OT)
61 Joe Toledo(OT)
78 Matthew Huners(OG)

Defensive Line:

Keep 6:

94 Justin Smith(RDE)
90 Isaac Sopoaga(NT)
92 Aubryao Franklin(NT)
93 Demetric Evans(LDE)
96 Kentwan Balmer(LDE)
95 Ricky Jean-Francois(RDE)

PUP 1:

91 Ray McDonald(DE)

Practice Squad 2:

67 Panel Egboh(DE)
60 Khalif Mitchell(NT)

Linebackers:

Keep 8:

99 Manny Lawson(OLB)
52 Patrick Willis(ILB)
51 Takeo Spikes(ILB)
98 Parys Haralson(OLB)
53 Jeff Ulbrich(ILB)
54 Marques Harris(OLB)
56 Scott McKillop(ILB)
55 Ahmad Brooks(OLB/ILB)

Practice Squad 1:

58 Jay Moore(OLB)

Cut 3:

57 Mark Washington(ILB)
47 Diyral Briggs(OLB)
50 Justin Roland(ILB)

Defensive Backs:

Keep 9:

22 Nate Clements(CB)
27 Walt Harris(CB)
32 Michael Lewis(SS)
38 Dashon Goldson(FS)
25 Tarell Brown(CB)
36 Shawntae Spencer(CB)
28 Curtis Taylor(FS/SS)
31 Reggie Smith(FS/SS/CB)
30 Terrail Lambert(CB)

Practice Squad 1:

35 Jahi Word-Daniels(CB)

Cut 4:

40 Carlos Thomas(CB)
41 Jimmy Williams(FS)
23 Marcus Hudson(CB)
43 Lewis Baker(SS)

Cut/Traded 1:

26 Mark Roman(FS)

Special Teams:

Keep 4:

6 Joe Nedney(PK)
4 Andy Lee(P)
86 Brian Jennings(LS)
20 Allen Rossum(RS)

Cut 1:

3 Alex Romero(PK)
Drop DB Terrail Lambert. No chance.

Add back in OT Barry Sims as a backup.
I like it better than anything I've seen so far, but I'm hoping Jimmy Williams shows enough to earn a spot (but agree with you he probably won't).
I"m sorry but we have to find a way to keep Damon Huard.... we need a capable backup if we plan to make the playoffs or continue in the playoffs...

if some think that Alex Smith is ready to come in and keep us in the playoff hunt if HILL goes down, AFTER NOT REALLY PLAYING FOR 2 YEARS, your kidding yourself and just being selfish.....

We need to do what is best for the team.....

Huard has done waaaaay better in this league than Alex.....and I would be much more comfortable with a Vet QB like Huard, than with Alex coming...

forget about your investment in a #11 football jersey just for on sec and think about what is best for the team.

I would also like to find a way to keep Jimmy Williams if possible..or Hudson...

but besides that... everything looks good.... I'm ready to make the Playoffs this year... are you?
Originally posted by manzano16:
I like it better than anything I've seen so far, but I'm hoping Jimmy Williams shows enough to earn a spot (but agree with you he probably won't).

Ditto, if Williams shows enough, Rossums spot could be in jeopardy, with Sheets or Battle doubling as a returner? Williams seems to be popular with the coaching staff.
I have big hopes of Alex Boone and Ricky Jean-Francois being big time players for us. Don't know why, just call it a hunch.
  • Ring6
  • Veteran
HI everyone... first post.

Nate Davis will be on the practice squad. I know we all would like to think he is the future, but he is at least 3 years away... and trust me, no one will pick him up off our practice squad... he is a 5th round pick for Pete sakes, with a (media emphasized) learning disability. He has much potential, so it is a wait and see situation.

Damon Huard as the 3rd string on 53 roster. He has experience and is a legit backup.
I believe only 5 guys can be kept on the Practice squad....or am I missing something?
Originally posted by Ring6:

Nate Davis will be on the practice squad. I know we all would like to think he is the future, but he is at least 3 years away... and trust me, no one will pick him up off our practice squad... he is a 5th round pick for Pete sakes, with a (media emphasized) learning disability. He has much potential, so it is a wait and see situation.

Damon Huard as the 3rd string on 53 roster. He has experience and is a legit backup.

welcome to the board.

as far as Huard being the 3rd string.

like I said in the previous post, I'd rather Huard as the 2nd string... and I think he will earn the backup roll during the preseason....

if given a fair opportunity
*I'm looking at you Scot McCloughan"
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 12, 2009 at 6:58 PM ]
  • Ring6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

welcome to the board.

like I said in the previous post, I'd rather Huard as the 2nd string... and I think he will earn the backup roll during the preseason....

Thanks for the welcome.

Personally, and I hate to say this... I agree with Barbieri that Hill should start and Smith should be 2nd string. I have more confidence in Smith, and believe that Smith could (possibly) become a franchise QB in this situation. When nothing is expected of him, he might just surprise us all (probably more of a hope than based on any factual evidence). But I don't think that starting QB should be handed to Smith because he still has much to prove.

Originally posted by Afrikan:

welcome to the board.

Thanks for the welcome.

Personally, and I hate to say this... I agree with Barbieri that Hill should start and Smith should be 2nd string. I have more confidence in Smith, and believe that Smith could (possibly) become a franchise QB in this situation. When nothing is expected of him, he might just surprise us all (probably more of a hope than based on any factual evidence). But I don't think that starting QB should be handed to Smith because he still has much to prove.

to be honest with you..... I know I might come off as a Alex "hater" or what ever to some on the board... but I would have NO PROBLEM if Alex became a Franchise QB for my 49ers...because that is what would be best for the team....just as Shaun Hill becoming the franchise QB or Nate Davis......

but only if everyone gets a fair chance.... and sometimes I feel that some on the Zone, put Alex Smith before what is best for the team....

and I am also worried about Scot's influence in this situation.... if by the end of the preseason, Alex doesn't play well.....and Huard and even Nate Davis out play him.... will the front office allow Mike Singletary do what is best for the team

also Zoners...would u?
Keasey > Michael "No Gain"/"My Claim to fame is Special Teams" Robinson.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I just have this weird feeling we might keep 4 QB's on the roster. Nate Davis on the practice squad would be picked up in a heart beat, IMO. And I doubt Huard gets cut, like I said in another thread, we aways have some kind of veteran presence at QB on our roster.
[ Edited by Kolohe on May 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM ]
First, nice post... This would be extremely close to the list that I would put forth at this stage....

Correct me if I am wrong fellow zoners, but I believe teams are allowed 8 players on the practice squad. Also, I'm virtually certain that neither D Zeigler nor J Moore are practice squad eligible.

I would place OLB Briggs, DE Egboh, NT Mitchell, OG Howard, TE Finley, CB Thomas, CB Word-Daniels, and either OT Toledo, OT Bender, LB Washington, or S Baker depending on who is eligible.....or not.

Some good "battles" are shaping up for roster spots in TC....Battle vs. Zeigler, Boone vs. Bender, J Williams vs. C Taylor vs. R Smith, N Davis vs. Huard, A Brooks vs. J Moore, and McDonald vs. RJF. It's gonna be interesting....
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Quarterbacks:

Keep 3:

13 Shaun Hill
11 Alex Smith
7 Nate Davis

Cut 1:

14 Damon Huard

Running backs/Fullbacks:

Keep 5:

21 Frank Gore(RB)