There are 196 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Quote:
PUP 1:

91 Ray McDonald(DE)

what does that mean ? and i think jay moore has a good chance of beating our m.harris because of the lack of players at the OLB position

Physically Unable to Perform. That means he'll be Un-Activated for the first 6 weeks of the season then after that we have the choice of either Activating him on the 53 man roster or putting him on Injured reserve.
Originally posted by cools:
Thats pretty much my projected roster also

Teams often keep just 9 OL, but this year i think we carry 10, I know most everyone hates Sims, but he could be kept around as experianced insurance for M.Smith,
I think Wallace may be expendible with Wragge and Bass both able to play Center.

That way we can keep both potential tackles (Boone, Bender) with Vets Snyder, Sims and Wragge ready to step in if a starter gets hurt (the extra spot is one less WR or DB)

Hell no, Sims must go. I would rather keep Toledo or Bender than Sims. Atleast they don't have cement feet. And I'm sorry but Cody Wallace won't be cut, he can play OG or C and he was drafted in the 4th last year. Cutting one of our young OL who might have a future here and is versatile so we could keep a 33 year old RT with stone shoes who can't move at all and gets consistently owned would be one of the stupidest things we could do.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by cools:
Thats pretty much my projected roster also

Teams often keep just 9 OL, but this year i think we carry 10, I know most everyone hates Sims, but he could be kept around as experianced insurance for M.Smith,
I think Wallace may be expendible with Wragge and Bass both able to play Center.

That way we can keep both potential tackles (Boone, Bender) with Vets Snyder, Sims and Wragge ready to step in if a starter gets hurt (the extra spot is one less WR or DB)

Hell no, Sims must go. I would rather keep Toledo or Bender than Sims. Atleast they don't have cement feet. And I'm sorry but Cody Wallace won't be cut, he can play OG or C and he was drafted in the 4th last year. Cutting one of our young OL who might have a future here and is versatile so we could keep a 33 year old RT with stone shoes who can't move at all and gets consistently owned would be one of the stupidest things we could do.

Which is the exact same reasoning we will not keep Huard over Davis.
I would honestly rather see Marc Washington make the team instead of Ulbrich...Love Ulbrich but he is costly and i think Washington has some real upside. And would likely be a better ST player also....Sims being cut will depend heavily on the play of Boone....if Boone shows he can handle it at both LT and RT Sims will be gone
AB...I agree with just about every spot...except I don't see them cutting Huard. He's the one vet with experience...and he's proven he can get the job done when called on. If they end up cutting a QB...it could be Alex. I know they'll want to keep Nate Davis...because they can't afford to risk him on the PS.

Also not sure they'll keep 6 WR's...I think Battle will be the odd man out.

At RB, I like Sheets' speed, but I've been hearing Clayton's gotten bigger and faster, so I'd say he's got a decent shot at sticking. Purdue coaches didn't endorse Sheets...so, he'll really have to dazzle Singletary and Raye to stay.
I really like how you broke things down, and would actually jump for joy if this happened..BUT, what'd make me crap my pants would be to have Hudson or Williams make it over Terrail, then drop an OL from the PS and place Terrail there..Overall great roster though, and again I wouldnt shed 1 tear if your scenario was to come true.
Is there a way to lock/save this roster- as we can see how close it comes to the original ????
Good list, but I will make some changes:

Quarterbacks:

Keep: 14 Damon Huard
PS: 7 Nate Davis

Huard is a very good 3rd QB with a lot of experience.
I just can't see another team signing Davis to the 53-man roster. Davis would be lucky to see the field in his 3rd year (but he could become a good QB).

Offensive Line:

Keep: Barry Sims(OT)
PS: 75 Alex Boone(RT/LT)

Sims is average at best, but at least he has some experience.
I just can't see another team signing Boone to the 53-man roster. Boone will be given a year to redeem himself, but on the PS.

Linebackers:

Keep: 58 Jay Moore(OLB) or 57 Mark Washington(ILB) or FA
Cut: 55 Ahmad Brooks(OLB/ILB)
PS: 47 Diyral Briggs(OLB)

Brooks will show nothing again and will be shown the door.
Jay Moore is still a mistery in his 3rd year: this is his last chance to join the roster.
Washington saw some action with the Dolphins but came back, so he has a chance to be in the final roster.
Briggs has some pass-rushing abilities, so he could be kept to the PS.

Defensive Backs:

Keep: 23 Marcus Hudson(CB)
Keep: 26 Mark Roman(FS)
PS: 28 Curtis Taylor(FS/SS)
PS: 30 Terrail Lambert(CB)

I have little faith in Goldson, so Roman could be on the roster to substitute him after some blown coverages.
Hudson is a good special teamer and we are thin at CB.
Taylor has to beat R.Smith, a 3rd rounder, to be on the final roster. I think he will easily clear weavers and sign to the PS.
Too dangerous to put Davis on PS...with QB injuries, it won't take long for other teams to look at PS. Even though he was undrafted, the more coaching up he gets, the more valuable he becomes.
Originally posted by jones49:
Keasey > Michael "No Gain"/"My Claim to fame is Special Teams" Robinson.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Too dangerous to put Davis on PS...with QB injuries, it won't take long for other teams to look at PS. Even though he was undrafted, the more coaching up he gets, the more valuable he becomes.

way too dangerous putting a 5th rounder draft pick on the practice squad

Originally posted by jrice80:

Quarterbacks:

I just can't see another team signing Davis to the 53-man roster. Davis would be lucky to see the field in his 3rd year (but he could become a good QB).

Offensive Line:

I just can't see another team signing Boone to the 53-man roster. Boone will be given a year to redeem himself, but on the PS.

Linebackers:

Jay Moore is still a mistery in his 3rd year
: this is his last chance to join the roster.
Washington saw some action with the Dolphins but came back, so he has a chance to be in the final roster.

Defensive Backs:

I have little faith in Goldson, so Roman could be on the roster to substitute him after some blown coverages.
Taylor has to beat R.Smith, a 3rd rounder, to be on the final roster. I think he will easily clear weavers and sign to the PS.

That's pretty hypocritical where you would cut Brooks (who I agree hasn't shown anything this past year) but you keep Jay Moore (who also hasn't shown anything in 2 years). I could care less who beats out who though. Just wanted to show you how hypocritical you sound.

Quarterbacks:

Offensive Line:

Linebackers:

Jay Moore is still a mistery in his 3rd year: this is his last chance to join the roster.

Defensive Backs:

The only change you made that wouldn't make me throw up is the LB one and even that one isn't that good. Keeping mediocre and overpaid vets who we KNOW have no future here has GOT TO STOP. Seriously. We need to develop our own young talent. Curtis Taylor is way more talented than Mark Roman, and he has a way better shot at ever helping this team than Mark Roman does for the next 5 years. Same with Boone vs Sims. Same with Davis vs Huard.
Originally posted by kronik:

Quarterbacks:

Offensive Line:

Linebackers:

Jay Moore is still a mistery in his 3rd year
: this is his last chance to join the roster.

Defensive Backs:

That's pretty hypocritical where you would cut Brooks (who I agree hasn't shown anything this past year) but you keep Jay Moore (who also hasn't shown anything in 2 years). I could care less who beats out who though. Just wanted to show you how hypocritical you sound.

If you re-read my post I wrote: "Jay Moore is still a mistery in his 3rd year" meaning that he has shown nothing.
The difference between him and Brooks is that Moore has been on IR for two years, so maybe he is a good player plagued with injuries and this year is his last chance to be healthy and prove that he belongs to the NFL (I'm skeptical, but who knows?); Brooks has been healthy and useless for a year.
Finally, I think that the final roster spot will be given to a player that will be cut from another team and that has some pass-rushing abilities, so IMHO Brooks, Moore and Washington will all be cut, ending the discussion on my hypocrity .
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Quarterbacks:

Offensive Line:

Linebackers:

Defensive Backs:

The only change you made that wouldn't make me throw up is the LB one and even that one isn't that good. Keeping mediocre and overpaid vets who we KNOW have no future here has GOT TO STOP. Seriously. We need to develop our own young talent. Curtis Taylor is way more talented than Mark Roman, and he has a way better shot at ever helping this team than Mark Roman does for the next 5 years. Same with Boone vs Sims. Same with Davis vs Huard.

I see your point, and I could agree with you. But we have too many question marks on the young players:
does Goldson belong to the NFL? ...and R.Smith? ...and Balmer? ...and Jay Moore? ...and Jason Hill? ...and Cody Wallace?
Can we produce sacks with Haralson and Lawson? Is Tarell Brown a legitimate starter? Can Hudson give us something more than ST plays?
And finally: is Alex Smith finally healthy and can he become a quality QB? Is Shaun Hill the answer at the QB position?
Too many question marks and only 16 games to answer...
We must have a little insurance if someone fails and experienced players give you exactly that.
Taylor, Boone and Davis can all clear wavers and be on the PS for this year, so we can finally decide what to do with the draft picks of the last 3 years, that Nolan underdeveloped.
Share 49ersWebzone