There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

nate davis will make it he would get picked up by another team the day we put him on the practice sqaud
QB: Hill, Smith, Davis
RB: Gore, Coffee, Robinson PS: Sheets
FB: Norris
TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe
WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Hill, Johnson, Ziegler, PS: Bradford
LT: Staley, Snyder
RT: M Smith, Simms, PS: Boone
LG: Bass
RG: Rachal, Wragge
C: Heitmen, Wallace
#:25

Defense = 24
RDE: Smith, Mcdonald PS: Jean-francios
LDE: Evans, Balmer
NT: Soap, Franklin
LOLB: Lawson, Brooks
ROLB: Haralson, Harris, PS: Briggs
ILB: Willis, Spikes, Ulbrich, Mckillop PS: Washington
CB: Clements, Harris, Brown, Spencer, Hudson PS: Word-Daniels
FS: Goldson, Roman PS: Taylor
SS: Lewis, Smith, Williams

ST = 4
K: Joe Nedney
P: Andy Lee
KR: Allen Rossum
LS: Brian Jennings

Total =53

PS: 8
RB Sheets
OT Boone
RDE Ricky Jean-Francios
OLB Briggs
OLB Washington
S Curtis Taylor
WR Mark Bradford
OG Matt Huners
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
my projected depth chart after draft day:

53 man roster:

QB: 13 Shaun Hill / 11 Alex Smith / -- Nate Davis (I see him over Huard)

RB: 21 Frank Gore / 29 Glen Coffee / 24 Michael Robinson

FB: 44 Moran Norris

WR: 88 Isaac Bruce / 81 Brandon Jones/ 89 Jason Hill

WR: 84 Josh Morgan / 15 Michael Crabtree/ 83 Arnaz Battle(Yep, i see Battle stilll making it, i think he proves he deserves a spot, and we should IMO keep 6 wr's)

TE: 85 Vernon Davis / 46 Delanie Walker / -- Bear Pascoe

C: 66 Eric Heitmann / 59 Cody Wallace

LG: 64 David Baas

RG: 62 Chilo Rachal

OG/C: 69 Tony Wragge

LT: 74 Joe Staley

RT: -- Marvel Smith / 68 Adam Snyder

I agree up to this point. I think boone makes the squad because Marvel is coming off of an injury and the line will be stretched thin without Boone or Simms. Its quite a gamble to place Boone on the PS as a safety valve incase snyder has to play.

DE: 94 Justin Smith / 91 Ray McDonald

NT: 92 Aubrayo Franklin(Tho i hope he gets beaten out, and possibly cut in favor of Jean-Francois; And ICE starts) / 90 Isaac Sopoaga

DE: 95 Demetric Evans / 96 Kentwan Balmer

I completely agree here and hope this happens.

OLB: 99 Manny Lawson / 55 Ahmad Brooks

ILB: 52 Patrick Willis / 53 Jeff Ulbrich

ILB: 51 Takeo Spikes / -- Scott McKillop

OLB: 98 Parys Haralson / 57 Mark Washington

I need to cut one person because of boone and here it is. It will be Brooks, Washington. or Curtis Taylor. Reggie Smith can double as a CB and Safety.

CB: 22 Nate Clements / 25 Tarell Brown / 31 Reggie Smith

CB: 27 Walt Harris / 36 Shawntae Spencer

FS: 38 Dashon Goldson / 41 Jimmy Williams

SS: 32 Michael Lewis / -- Curtis Taylor

PK: 6 Joe Nedney

P: 4 Andy Lee

LS: 86 Brian Jennings

RS: 20 Allen Rossum

PS:

DT Ricky Jean-Francois(But i hope he beats out Franklin)

Couple notes:

Ulbrich makes it, i cant see us having so many backup young LB's, with no experience.

Also, MROB and Jennings will make the team

and Battle makes it for now.

Basically I have Boone making the squad at the expense of Washington, Brooks or Taylor. I am starting to like how our starting O line looks.
Originally posted by Slothrop:
And then I'd do everything in my power to work a trade for Peppers. Or at least bring Jason Taylor in for a year. We need SOMEBODY who can pressure the QB on a consistent basis. Parys is a good situational guy, but he doesn't get consistent pressure.

I think Peppers would be too costly and frankly, seems more of a 4-3 DE. He wants to play in a 3-4 but he doesn't have the versatility of J Smith and thus, probably wouldn't be able to play that DE/OLB position. He is also 29 years old and IMHO, doesn't seem like a great value right now.

I do like the idea of signing Jason Taylor though. He would come very cheaply and would fit right into the team's 3-4 scheme. He could just be a pass rusher like Fred Dean was and therefore, he would remain fresh all game. For a year or two until the team can get a good pass rusher in the draft, I think Taylor would be a great addition.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No way they put Davis on the PS, he would get snatched up instantly. And I think RJF and Curtis Taylor are both at least gonna make the PS.

Thank you for saying this.....

Let me just say this one more time.....there is no way in hell that Davis clears waivers and goes to the practice squad. The only way he stays on the team is to make the 53 man roster....period. Can we finally put that idea to rest once and for all....please?

Depending on the health of McDonald (or lack thereof), RJF could easily make the final roster too. He will at least make the practice squad although again, I think there is a real danger trying to pass this guy through waivers. He has first day draft talent and probably would get picked up by a team that has some injuries in the preseason.

Also, the same could be said for OT Alex Boone and RB Sheets. I think trying to get these guys on the PS is an iffy proposition at best, especially if they have decent preseasons.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
NINERS 53 players

Offense: 27 players

QB: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Damon Huard

RB: Frank Gore, Glen Coffee, Thomas Clayton

FB: Morran Norris,

WR: Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Dominque Ziegler

WR: Isaac Bruce, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill

TE: Vernon Davis, Delaine Walker, Bear Pasco

LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone

LG: David Baas, Adam Snyder

C: Erick Heitman, Cody Wallace

RG: Chilo Rachel, Tony Wragge

RT: Marvel Smith, Barry Sims

Defense: 24 players
3-4 Rotational

RE: Justin Smith, Demetric Evans

NT: Aubrayo Franklin, Issac Sopoaga

LE: Ray McDonald, Kentwan Balmer

LOLB: Manny Lawson, Paul Egboh

MLB: Takeo Spikes, Scott McKillup

MLB: Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks

ROLB: Parys Haralson, Brandon Long (NEED UPGRADE, Maybe Taylor)

CB: Walt Harris, Shawntae Spencer?, Reggie Smith

FS: Dashon Goldson, Marcus Hudson

SS: Michael Lewis, Jimmy Williams

CB: Nate Clements, Tarrel Brown, Jahi Word-Daniels

Special Teams: 3 players

LS: Bear Pascoe (saves roster spot)

Sorry Brian Jennings good luck

Practice Squad: 8 players

QB Nate Davis
RB Kory Sheets
FB Zack Keasey
WR Mark Bradford
LB Mark Washington
OT Jacob Bender
DT Rick Jean-Francois
S Curtis Taylor

Gotta respectfully disagree with several of your roster spots but I will say that I really like the fact that on the final 53 you included Zeigler, who I think can be a really nice possession receiver and Boone, who has the talent to be a starter down the road, although it might be at LG. Also like that you are starting Alex, who I think will be the starter if healthy.

OK.....here we go with my issues.... First, on offense...
-QB Davis will either make the final 53 or be lost when the team tries to get him through waivers...plain and simple. Therefore, I see Huard as a cut.
-I also feel the same way about OT Boone and RB Sheets so I see both making the final 53.
-I see Clayton as a cut because he is too one dimensional....can't block well and can't play special teams well.
-Robinson and Sheets make the final 53, the former at FB.
-I also see OT Sims as a cut and BTW, Boone is definitely not a LT. He is a RT or an OG. Current starter at RT M Smith is probably Staley's backup at LT.

On the PS, I think Bradford, Keasey, and LB Washington are cuts.

On defense...
-DL looks good if McDonald is healthy which is a big if.... I can see RJF replacing Mac on the roster. Even if Mac is healthy, RJF makes the final 53 because the team can't risk running him through waivers.
-BTW, McDonald is the RDE behind J Smith and Evans is the likely starter at LDE with Balmer behind him.
-Egboh is not an OLB at 276 lbs.....also not quick enough nor fast enough to play that position. He is a RDE in a 3-4 and will probably end up on the PS.
-Long didn't pass his physical and will probably not be on the team.
-R Smith is now a safety exclusively and will probably back up at both safety positions. I think the other backup safety spot is totally up for grabs between Taylor, Lewis, Hudson, and J Williams. I see Taylor taking that spot right now (but that is certainly not set in stone). Therefore, I see both Hudson and Williams as cuts. I think Lewis might be PS eligible though.
-I think the team keeps only 8 DBs so your first four CBs are in and two of the three of the UDFA CBs probably end up on the PS.
-Not sure if Brooks make the team unless it is at OLB because he has pass rushing skills. I see Ulbrich joining McKillop as the two backup ILBs.
-One backup OLB is the recent pickup Marques Harris. The other one is up for grabs between J Moore, Brooks, and Briggs although the possibility of bringing in a guy like Jason Taylor is certainly there.
-I do think it is possible that Rossum could be replace by another returner (like Sheets for example) if that roster spot becomes really valuable.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
NINERS 53 players

Offense: 27 players

QB: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Damon Huard

RB: Frank Gore, Glen Coffee, Thomas Clayton

FB: Morran Norris,

WR: Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Dominque Ziegler

WR: Isaac Bruce, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill

TE: Vernon Davis, Delaine Walker, Bear Pasco

LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone

LG: David Baas, Adam Snyder

C: Erick Heitman, Cody Wallace

RG: Chilo Rachel, Tony Wragge

RT: Marvel Smith, Barry Sims

Defense: 24 players
3-4 Rotational

RE: Justin Smith, Demetric Evans

NT: Aubrayo Franklin, Issac Sopoaga

LE: Ray McDonald, Kentwan Balmer

LOLB: Manny Lawson, Paul Egboh

MLB: Takeo Spikes, Scott McKillup

MLB: Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks

ROLB: Parys Haralson, Brandon Long (NEED UPGRADE, Maybe Taylor)

CB: Walt Harris, Shawntae Spencer?, Reggie Smith

FS: Dashon Goldson, Marcus Hudson

SS: Michael Lewis, Jimmy Williams

CB: Nate Clements, Tarrel Brown, Jahi Word-Daniels

Special Teams: 3 players

LS: Bear Pascoe (saves roster spot)

Sorry Brian Jennings good luck

Practice Squad: 8 players

QB Nate Davis
RB Kory Sheets
FB Zack Keasey
WR Mark Bradford
LB Mark Washington
OT Jacob Bender
DT Rick Jean-Francois
S Curtis Taylor

Gotta respectfully disagree with several of your roster spots but I will say that I really like the fact that on the final 53 you included Zeigler, who I think can be a really nice possession receiver and Boone, who has the talent to be a starter down the road, although it might be at LG. Also like that you are starting Alex, who I think will be the starter if healthy.

OK.....here we go with my issues.... First, on offense...
-QB Davis will either make the final 53 or be lost when the team tries to get him through waivers...plain and simple. Therefore, I see Huard as a cut.
-I also feel the same way about OT Boone and RB Sheets so I see both making the final 53.
-I see Clayton as a cut because he is too one dimensional....can't block well and can't play special teams well.
-Robinson and Sheets make the final 53, the former at FB.
-I also see OT Sims as a cut and BTW, Boone is definitely not a LT. He is a RT or an OG. Current starter at RT M Smith is probably Staley's backup at LT.

On the PS, I think Bradford, Keasey, and LB Washington are cuts.

On defense...
-DL looks good if McDonald is healthy which is a big if.... I can see RJF replacing Mac on the roster. Even if Mac is healthy, RJF makes the final 53 because the team can't risk running him through waivers.
-BTW, McDonald is the RDE behind J Smith and Evans is the likely starter at LDE with Balmer behind him.
-Egboh is not an OLB at 276 lbs.....also not quick enough nor fast enough to play that position. He is a RDE in a 3-4 and will probably end up on the PS.
-Long didn't pass his physical and will probably not be on the team.
-R Smith is now a safety exclusively and will probably back up at both safety positions. I think the other backup safety spot is totally up for grabs between Taylor, Lewis, Hudson, and J Williams. I see Taylor taking that spot right now (but that is certainly not set in stone). Therefore, I see both Hudson and Williams as cuts. I think Lewis might be PS eligible though.
-I think the team keeps only 8 DBs so your first four CBs are in and two of the three of the UDFA CBs probably end up on the PS.
-Not sure if Brooks make the team unless it is at OLB because he has pass rushing skills. I see Ulbrich joining McKillop as the two backup ILBs.
-One backup OLB is the recent pickup Marques Harris. The other one is up for grabs between J Moore, Brooks, and Briggs although the possibility of bringing in a guy like Jason Taylor is certainly there.
-I do think it is possible that Rossum could be replace by another returner (like Sheets for example) if that roster spot becomes really valuable.

Yeah I just read the Niners move Brooks to weak-side linebacker.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/05/02/manusky-eager-to-see-improved-49ers-pass-rush-in-09/
Ok, let's lay it out there. What does everyone think? This year is interesting to me.. we have 4 QBs.. we drafted one and signed two in the offseason.. Will we really keep 4?? Most teams only keep 2 or 3. Also, which WRs and RBs will get cut?? There's too many. And what will happen with Ray McDonald? There are going to be a lot of interesting cuts this year.
[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2009sfoffense2.png][/URL]
[URL=http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200934d2.gif][/URL]

Not sure if this ^ will show up right on this site's format, but this was my early outlook. Little things can change, like RayMac on I.R. and Francois to come in. Don't really see us keeping 4 QBs, but 6 WRs seems possible.
With all due respect, there is no way in hell that Battle starts....chronic knee problem prevents him from practicing with the team on a regular basis during the season. Don't get me wrong....love the guy's blocking and overall intensity but I just don't think he will even be playing at all in a couple of years. I think this is the year he gets cut or simply retires. This is the story of the NFL....guys just don't really last that long.

Same thing happened to Dwight Clark and John Taylor.....one bad knee cut their careers short.
Quote:

McDonald won't be on this year's team.

Smith and Jean-Francois at RDE
Sopoaga, Evans and Balmer at LDE
Sopoaga, Franklin at NT

Battle not only won't start, he won't be on the roster.
I believe Sheets will beat out Clayton. The guy runs a 4.3 and is a playmaker!!!
NO WAY NATE MAKE IT THRU WAIVERS OR SHEETS WELL SHEETS MIGHT MAKE IT CAUSE HE WASN'T DRAFTED BUT DAVIS NO WAY
Welcome to the world of competition. Likely Final 53 cuts are:

QB - Freeman, Huard
RB - Clayton
FB - Keasey
WR - Battle, Spurlock, Bradford, Collins, Price, Zeigler
TE - Finley
OT - Sims, Boone
OG - Howard, Huners, Toledo

DE - Egboh, McDonald (to IR or PUP)
NT - Mitchell
MIKE/TED - Roland, Ulbrich OR Washington
SAM - Brooks, Briggs
WILL - Moore
CB - Jahri-Word, Lambert, Thomas
SS - Williams
FS - Roman, Taylor

PK - Romero

6-7 of the eligible cuts will be signed to PS.
[ Edited by jimbagg on May 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM ]