There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Competition

I would love a QB competition, I would be excited for a QB competition, it would be a watershed moment on the return path to greatness if we had a QB competition....First we need some competitive QBs!

Hill a career back-up with fused vertebrae (bad back) I love his fiery attitude and gutsy play, but realistically he would not be mentioned as a possible starter on a top ten team. (And I hope to see the 9ers in the top ten someday)

Smith not a has been but a never was, it would be a great story to see Smith dust of the failure and injury of his past and take us to a championship!, but I fear that ending is a little to story book for real life.

Huard Sorta a riddle to me, so I googled him, I was underwhelmed!

It seems to me Singletary is right we are a running team, Gore is our best offensive player so lets ride that horse until we find ourselves a real competitive QB, I look to the draft for hope.

Just because we lack a real QB doesn't mean we can't have winning season this year, we will just have to be scrappy, tough and grind it out. With a good defense and Gore running behind Norris and Davis we can do allot, probably not a championship but at least we won't suck... anymore.

[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Mar 9, 2009 at 15:20:50 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Does it really matter who we acquire on offense unless it's a superstar player? I mean, does it really matter that we got Moran Norris back?

The only reason why we haven't amounted to crap since 2004 is because we haven't had a competent QB or insert a competent QB too late into the season.

This is why I am not wanting any QB competition. Let the guy who has proven it suck before we replace him.

You're not talking about JTO again are you???

Kidding aside, I think whoever we have in here for QB should compete. The competition should be weighed with what the guy has been able to do on the filed though (heavly in favor of Hill)...
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:


Very true, which chaps my ass, as to why Singletary hasn't named Hill the starter. After all wouldn't you go into the season with the QB that pretty much adds to the reason that he is our HC??

Probably has not named Hill the outright starter (although he has said Hill is the starter going into camp) because he doesn't lie and he knew a while back that another QB might be brought in to start for the team IF that player presented himself in free agency. I am sure they were possibly talking about Garcia or even McNabb ,if he demanded out of Philly ,like was the rumor. And of course Warner did present himself as a free agent and they did consider him. There has even been talk about Cutler wanting out of Denver. So Sing just did not want to guarantee anything to Hill and then pull the rug out from under Hill later IF they found a gem in free agency.

Not to mention that Sing may feel that Hill does his best while under pressure to perform?

Hill IS the starting QB until further notice. Just like most of the starters on the team who would be benched by Sing IF someone beats them out.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Well by your logic who starts?
Hill only played because of injuries
and Smith
Smith only left the starting job because of in injury

So don't they both deserve it?

NO because unlike Smith, Hill has actually earned the right to start with his play ON THE FIELD. Smith started because of his play on the practice field and because he was handed opportunities to prove he was worth the #1 overall pick, which he failed to do. Hill deserves the starting role because he has done absolutely nothing to prove otherwise.

Originally posted by TOP_CAT:

Hill has earned it by being a winning QB . Smith was only starting because they were giving him every chance to show he should have been the #1 draft pick (Smith failed,when healthy, to show much of anything to anyone !). Hill did not start last year because of Martz and his desire to have JT and because Hill doesn't have the arm to please Martz.

If Smith has his best camp and preseason ever and finally ,for the first time in his NFL career,starts to show something more than his always mediocre play,then I have no objection to that "new" Smith being Hill's backup or if a miracle happens as the starter (LOL).
But from what I know right now about the 3 QB's we have on the roster at this time I would be much more comfortable with Huard as the backup to Hill (preferably with a rookie as the #3 and Smith gone to another team to find himself).

But didn't a healthy Smith lead us to a 2-1 record in 07

And didn't that same Smith beat out Hill at the QB position before Martz gave it to JTO
I think the fact that Singletary mentioned he thinks Hill is just as if not better than Garcia is a sure fire tell that Hill will need to get dethroned by a hefty margin for him to lose the job.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by solidg2000:


But didn't a healthy Smith lead us to a 2-1 record in 07

And didn't that same Smith beat out Hill at the QB position before Martz gave it to JTO


No !
Smith played really bad in those first two games and just went along for the ride.

And Hill was relegated to 3rd string status by Martz,who wanted JTO as the starter and choose Smith over Hill because Hill's arm is not good enough to throw deep all the time as Martz wanted.

Hill was the best PLAYER at QB on the team and JTO was a far better talent than Alex,except he was a turnover machine.

In case you had not noticed ,Martz is gone !

If a miracle happens and Alex actually shows some NFL talent for the first time since coming into the League,then I will be very happy because I am a Niner fan and would be rooting for all the players on the roster to do well.
So IF Alex stays with the Niners,more power to him,I hope he does very well ! But I won't hold my breath,lol.
The problem is we don't know what is required in Raye's offense. We don't even if this whole "power running" team Sings wants us to be will work. Will it be just who makes fewer mistakes or the one who makes more plays? I never want to rule out Alex because he has a chip on his shoulder but I've seen enough of Hill to know that he can carry an offense for now!
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Well by your logic who starts?
Hill only played because of injuries
and Smith
Smith only left the starting job because of in injury

So don't they both deserve it?

you said it brotha. So there is no clearly defined winner. They both have shined, and both sucked. So i say start them out this off season on equal ground, and may the best man win.
This is not going to win me many friends around here but I've got a problem with Shaun Hill. Yes, he's a player and yes, he has demonstrated that he can move the offense and he has a winning record. I like him. A fan has GOT to like him. Here's my problem - the velocity of his throws. It's not just that he doesn't seem to be able to throw long, it's his 20 yard outs and ins. IMO, the ball just doesn't get there fast enough. IMO, if he's starting from the beginning, it will take about 3 or 4 games before CB's start baiting him and jumping routes. These guys don't just watch film - they playback on digital machines with time codes and the best ones are actually figuring out how long the ball is in the air. My guess is that this is the ONLY reason they haven't committed to him. Because of this, I can't help but feel he's a perfect backup who can come enter the game in a pinch and manage it - but over the longer haul, I think DB's will catch up with him.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
The problem is we don't know what is required in Raye's offense. We don't even if this whole "power running" team Sings wants us to be will work. Will it be just who makes fewer mistakes or the one who makes more plays? I never want to rule out Alex because he has a chip on his shoulder but I've seen enough of Hill to know that he can carry an offense for now!


You see,the problem is that Sing or Raye have never said they want to be a power running team. They have said they want to be able to run the ball down the throats of the defenses anytime they choose to do that.

They have also said they want to be an almost 50-50 running and passing team.

So we KNOW that the Niners under Sing and Raye will pass quite a bit and will use the TE's and RB's quite a bit to catch passes.

We also KNOW that we will run first to set up the pass (play action baby !).

We know that they want to be able to run for 1st downs on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1,instead of having to punt all the time in those situations ,like last year under Martz.

So we KNOW that Sing was sooooo upset about being sooooo soft in the power running game last season under Martz that he fired his butt and brought in a OC that believed as he did,that you need to use the TE's and have a "real" fullback etc etc ,if you want to move the chains and get those critical first downs in crunch time .

I for one agree with sing,don't you ?
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think the fact that Singletary mentioned he thinks Hill is just as if not better than Garcia is a sure fire tell that Hill will need to get dethroned by a hefty margin for him to lose the job.

This is what i'm thinking as well.

I reckon that Singletary may be non-commital about the QB situation to the public, but in his mind, he has decided that Hill is his man. I do believe that it is Hill's job to lose.

What makes the decision tough though, is how Hill performs in games as compared to practice.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I reckon that Singletary may be non-commital about the QB situation to the public, but in his mind, he has decided that Hill is his man. I do believe that it is Hill's job to lose.-9fA

What's it going to take to convince people around here that Singletary doesn't lie? I'm going to take Mike Singletary at his word until I see him tell a lie. I haven't seen that yet.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by Kolohe:


Very true, which chaps my ass, as to why Singletary hasn't named Hill the starter. After all wouldn't you go into the season with the QB that pretty much adds to the reason that he is our HC??

Probably has not named Hill the outright starter (although he has said Hill is the starter going into camp) because he doesn't lie and he knew a while back that another QB might be brought in to start for the team IF that player presented himself in free agency. I am sure they were possibly talking about Garcia or even McNabb ,if he demanded out of Philly ,like was the rumor. And of course Warner did present himself as a free agent and they did consider him. There has even been talk about Cutler wanting out of Denver. So Sing just did not want to guarantee anything to Hill and then pull the rug out from under Hill later IF they found a gem in free agency.

Not to mention that Sing may feel that Hill does his best while under pressure to perform?

Hill IS the starting QB until further notice. Just like most of the starters on the team who would be benched by Sing IF someone beats them out.
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
The problem is we don't know what is required in Raye's offense. We don't even if this whole "power running" team Sings wants us to be will work. Will it be just who makes fewer mistakes or the one who makes more plays? I never want to rule out Alex because he has a chip on his shoulder but I've seen enough of Hill to know that he can carry an offense for now!


You see,the problem is that Sing or Raye have never said they want to be a power running team. They have said they want to be able to run the ball down the throats of the defenses anytime they choose to do that.

They have also said they want to be an almost 50-50 running and passing team.

So we KNOW that the Niners under Sing and Raye will pass quite a bit and will use the TE's and RB's quite a bit to catch passes.

We also KNOW that we will run first to set up the pass (play action baby !).

We know that they want to be able to run for 1st downs on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1,instead of having to punt all the time in those situations ,like last year under Martz.

So we KNOW that Sing was sooooo upset about being sooooo soft in the power running game last season under Martz that he fired his butt and brought in a OC that believed as he did,that you need to use the TE's and have a "real" fullback etc etc ,if you want to move the chains and get those critical first downs in crunch time .

I for one agree with sing,don't you ?

Yeah definitely, it's just hard to imagine the type of offense we will be next year. I agree with being able to run the ball effectively because we have a 1600 yard running back in our backfield but on the flip side you don't have to be able to run the ball to go far in this league. Arizona couldn't run the ball all year and look what happened. They threw the ball all over the place so they played to their strengths. Since we don't have the same players on offense then let's run and play strong defense.
I'm fine with competition for Hill, but I haven't seen anyone worthy yet.