LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 458 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BMoore56:
im hoping smith turns out like drew brees did. did horrible for his 1st few seasons then starts ripping apart defences

Was Brees really ever THAT bad ? If so then I guess Smith still has a small chance?
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
Hill only played because of injuries
and Smith
Smith only left the starting job because of in injury

So don't they both deserve it?

Smith left the starting job because he sucked and takes way too long to make a decision. Hill has earned the starting job by doing what you are supposed to do -- WINNING.

Smith doesn't get injured Hill doesn't see the field.
PERIOD
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Quote:
and Smith

Smith left the starting job because he sucked and takes way too long to make a decision. Hill has earned the starting job by doing what you are supposed to do -- WINNING.

PERIOD

But how does Smith even get on the field unless the starter (Hill) gets injured first ?

How is it that some people around here seem to hate everything that has anything to do with the Niners (although they call themselves Niners fans) and then there seem to be some others who look at a player like smith through rose colored glasses ,just because he is a 49er.

Hill is not a Franchise type caliber QB because of his lack of arm strength ( he would be if he had a good arm,he would be here as the starter for years to come ,imho). And yet even Hill could come in and win with that OC we had in 2007 and with the same line that AS couldn't play behind ,etc etc etc (all the excuses for Smith) and Hill makes Smith look like a high school player compared to Hill.

Face it,Hill is not all that great but seems to be a winner on game day. But even Hill makes Alex look like he doesn't belong in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't ?
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
im hoping smith turns out like drew brees did. did horrible for his 1st few seasons then starts ripping apart defences

Was Brees really ever THAT bad ? If so then I guess Smith still has a small chance?

i dont think he was that bad but i am just wishing for smith
I'm tired of this s**t
Everyone talks s**t on the kid now, all you haters saying this or that
WHERE WERE YOU AFTER THE FIRST GAME IN 07, AFTER THE SECOND GAME IN 07??

YOU KNOW WHERE?

You were on his nuts
swinging and having a great time!!!!
Why do I say that cause ESPN and NFL NETWORK were all up on his nuts too

f**k it, now I really hope he gets cut and signs with a team and takes them to a SB victory.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Is it to much to ask that when the QB comp starts....we forget their past & let them fight for their future?
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A

i dont think he was that bad but i am just wishing for smith

I wished for him to be something for about the first 3 years and then I finally listened to what my eyes were telling me over what my heart wanted him to be.
I was very happy when we drafted Smith and I believed the hype about him from all the stories leading up to the draft and from his pro day etc etc etc

But then when I got to see him play I saw a stiff stumbler who couldn't throw accuratly and couldn't scramble worth 2 cents (most of the time) and who had no idea how to read defenses and who took forever to decide if a WR was open or not etc etc etc. It was like someone had played a joke on the Niners and replaced the real Alex Smith from Utah with his stumble bum twin brother,who was so clumsy that he looked like he was wearing shoes 5 sizes too big foir him .

My only hope for Alex is that maybe he is finally maturing now that he is getting older ( what 25 or 26 now).They say he has gained some weight and maybe his game will gewt heavier also? He was soooo young when he was thrown out there to the NFL wolves,maybe we will be seeing a different Alex in preseason this year?

But until he shows me something,anything good at all,I will not believe he is any different than the last time I saw him play when healthy. Mediocre at best.
f**k it, now I really hope he gets cut and signs with a team and takes them to a SB victory.

It would be much sweeter if he wins the competition and does that for our team. Everybody would have to eat crow either way, so I'd like it for the Niners.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

It would be much sweeter if he wins the competition and does that for our team. Everybody would have to eat crow either way, so I'd like it for the Niners.

I would too but there will always be that negative nancy that says something stupid like well he didn't throw for 400 yards or some other nit pik
It gets annoying
Quote:
and Smith

PERIOD

But how does Smith even get on the field unless the starter (Hill) gets injured first ?

How is it that some people around here seem to hate everything that has anything to do with the Niners (although they call themselves Niners fans) and then there seem to be some others who look at a player like smith through rose colored glasses ,just because he is a 49er.

Hill is not a Franchise type caliber QB because of his lack of arm strength ( he would be if he had a good arm,he would be here as the starter for years to come ,imho). And yet even Hill could come in and win with that OC we had in 2007 and with the same line that AS couldn't play behind ,etc etc etc (all the excuses for Smith) and Hill makes Smith look like a high school player compared to Hill.

Face it,Hill is not all that great but seems to be a winner on game day. But even Hill makes Alex look like he doesn't belong in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't ?

No that is a lie
Ted Tollner
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=702078&mode=blog

and I was referring to the past, obviously

Yea it is a great idea, lets get some QBs and have one!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Does it really matter who we acquire on offense unless it's a superstar player? I mean, does it really matter that we got Moran Norris back?

The only reason why we haven't amounted to crap since 2004 is because we haven't had a competent QB or insert a competent QB too late into the season.

This is why I am not wanting any QB competition. Let the guy who has proven it suck before we replace him.

Mmmmmm intriguing, we let Hill be QB1 because of injury.

Joe in most cases I agree with what you have to say but in this instance I think that you flipped your gourd.

I'll say this YET again. Hill played himself into a competition. He wasn't as good as people are acting, btw. He played well enough to earn the competition. It's a sad day in 9er land when fans don't want a competition for the coveted QB1 spot.

Hell even Joe and Steve competed for the job.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Mar 9, 2009 at 20:27:17 ]
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
I personally want a competition at EVERY spot on the roster.
It's just that we all know that Willis will win his competition (for instance) and we all know who would start today at just about every spot.

So ,from what we KNOW right now,Hill IS the starter and from what we have seen over the years Hill should remain the starter over Smith ,unless Smith is a totally different QB when he comes back (which I hope he is and I hope he beats out Hill and takes the Niners to 10 straight SB wins etc etc ,but I won't hold my breath for any of that because I don't want to die until I get to see the Niners play well again ).
Competition is good, as long as it isn't rigged like last year. We see where exactly that got us... Hilll has the edge, but Smith MAY have matured a little bit... Unless the real plan is to start Huard for 8 games and then pull him....
I personally want a competition at EVERY spot on the roster.
It's just that we all know that Willis will win his competition (for instance) and we all know who would start today at just about every spot.

So ,from what we KNOW right now,Hill IS the starter and from what we have seen over the years Hill should remain the starter over Smith ,unless Smith is a totally different QB when he comes back (which I hope he is and I hope he beats out Hill and takes the Niners to 10 straight SB wins etc etc ,but I won't hold my breath for any of that because I don't want to die until I get to see the Niners play well again ).

I'm good with that. I'm just tired of seeing all the Smith bashing. We all know the reasons Smith is where he is at.

I personally see no need to trash the guy for issues beyond his control. It's not like he is getting into trouble off the field and giving his coaching staff a headache with poor attitude on it.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone