Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The guy friggin sucks.

x2
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The guy friggin sucks.

x2

That's what I like about some of the "veterans" around here - their vast knowledge of the NFL and how it works leads to reasoned and robust arguments. Very impressive!
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The guy friggin sucks.

x2

That's what I like about some of the "veterans" around here - their vast knowledge of the NFL and how it works leads to reasoned and robust arguments. Very impressive!
because they need to write 3 paragraphs of why they feel that way?

Hey Billy, good catch. I'll try to keep the word-count down for you. I know it can be tough to actually have to read a take.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In the previous Nolan iterations of the 2-gap defense, I'd agree, Sopoaga wasn't effective. However, I'd expect to see him make more plays in a simplified 1-gap like they played after Singletary took over. Look what it did for Franklin's game...he played much better after those changes. One of Singletary's strengths is to recognize player's abilities, and structure the offense or defense accordingly. I don't know that "Soap" will ever be the beast most of us thought he'd be, but I do think he'll be more effective in a 1-gap scheme.

The 1 Gap scheme fits him best. Let the OLine figure out how to deal with him, which is opposite of the 2 gap system which puts the onus on the DLine to figure out how to defend against what the Oline is doing against the D. Sing's approach on D is pretty obvious. The D dictates and the O reacts which is opposite to Nolan's hybrid, 2 Gap, bend but not break scheme which was designed on the principle to react not dictate. Soap has demonstrated from Jr. college to college and during his time in the NFL that he is best used when he doesn't have a lot on his plate. Which is why he has a better chance of succeeding now that he only has to worry about 1 gap.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In the previous Nolan iterations of the 2-gap defense, I'd agree, Sopoaga wasn't effective. However, I'd expect to see him make more plays in a simplified 1-gap like they played after Singletary took over. Look what it did for Franklin's game...he played much better after those changes. One of Singletary's strengths is to recognize player's abilities, and structure the offense or defense accordingly. I don't know that "Soap" will ever be the beast most of us thought he'd be, but I do think he'll be more effective in a 1-gap scheme.

The 1 Gap scheme fits him best. Let the OLine figure out how to deal with him, which is opposite of the 2 gap system which puts the onus on the DLine to figure out how to defend against what the Oline is doing against the D. Sing's approach on D is pretty obvious. The D dictates and the O reacts which is opposite to Nolan's hybrid, 2 Gap, bend but not break scheme which was designed on the principle to react not dictate. Soap has demonstrated from Jr. college to college and during his time in the NFL that he is best used when he doesn't have a lot on his plate. Which is why he has a better chance of succeeding now that he only has to worry about 1 gap.

That is true. He is better suited to play in a one gap scheme just like Ray Mcdonald. The both aren't than good when trying to play in a 2 gap but they are better playing in a one gap and penetrating more.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Hey Billy, good catch. I'll try to keep the word-count down for you. I know it can be tough to actually have to read a take.

more

[ Edited by Bryant4everYoung on Mar 9, 2009 at 16:41:22 ]
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Yeah Oak...I have been a Soap fan since he was drafted and he did have fairly good seasons the last 2 (after being less than advertised). BUT he has not lived up to the hype he got at the combine and the stories about lifting trees etc.

He is still a good player to have around in the rotation and can play a number of different spots on the D line. His improved play of a year ago and his versatility is why they gave him that contract extension. It was probably a good deal for the team and the player.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
The guy friggin sucks.

No, the guy who posted this friggin sucks. Demetric Evans is getting praised as a great pickup. Well, he had 33 tackles last season. Sopoaga had 41. Soap also was instrumental in attracting double teams and allowing Justin Smith to roam freely. People who post stuff like that should have to square off with Soap face to face -- then when you're through picking yourself up hours later tell us that he sucks.

Evans started 11 games, Soap 15 games. Evans had 3.5 sacks, Soap had 1. So what???

lol at the people who say "you should have to square off with Soap face to face" and "I bet you won't say that to his face" damn he better lay us out, he's making what $5 million a year? He better lay my broke a$$ out.

The simple fact is Soap is an average DL in a 3-4 defense. He'd be better off as a DT in a 4-3 defense. If he was as good as people on here make him out to be, then the coaching staff wouldn't be having him change positions every freakin year.

Quote:
If TD's and cathces were decided on which TE could bench press more weight then yes Vern would be in the Probowl.

I like Soap just as well as the next guy but the fact is he's overpaid in our defense.

*sigh* sounds like someone else I know! Whom I would not be afraid to tell him he sucks face to face!

Who?

fixed!

lmao, how can you guys not get what krizay is trying to say? i loled when i read it the first time.
I don't get it. Soap either is a future pro bowler or he sucks on this board. Last year everybody loved him, thought he was a stud. When he doesn't live up to the sky high expectations the zone has for him to break out he suddenly sucks again.

Why not stop being so bipolar and realize that he's neither awesoem nor terrible, he's a solid rotational player for our defense. He's not payed to be a stud so stop treating him like he should be.

Thank you.

• Mex49
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't get it. Soap either is a future pro bowler or he sucks on this board. Last year everybody loved him, thought he was a stud. When he doesn't live up to the sky high expectations the zone has for him to break out he suddenly sucks again.

Why not stop being so bipolar and realize that he's neither awesoem nor terrible, he's a solid rotational player for our defense. He's not payed to be a stud so stop treating him like he should be.

Thank you.

I'm with the "He Sucks" group!
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Thank you.

Exactly ! And he is on the upper level of average ! lol
i agree with ATG. he doesn't suck and he isn't great, and seems like he most likely won't be ever be. but the sad thing is that he probably wouldn't start for any other team in the league, whether it be a 3-4 or 4-3.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by niner4life21:
i agree with ATG. he doesn't suck and he isn't great, and seems like he most likely won't be ever be. but the sad thing is that he probably wouldn't start for any other team in the league, whether it be a 3-4 or 4-3.

And he is NOT starting for us either. He is the backup NT as we speak. Maybe he will beat out Franklin ? But when Nolan was canned and we started playing a different style of defense ,then Franklin started playing great in his new responsibility.
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by niner4life21:

And he is NOT starting for us either. He is the backup NT as we speak. Maybe he will beat out Franklin ? But when Nolan was canned and we started playing a different style of defense ,then Franklin started playing great in his new responsibility.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if Soap, like Franklin, will turn out to be a much better NT in the one gap system. I would love for him to become the unquestioned starter.
Share 49ersWebzone