LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

I Just Felt Like Going Old School Today!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Great post linkboy ^^^^^

Love the real old school pics.
Since nobody was able to answer the question, the QBs that were rotated on every play were John Brodie, Billy Kilmer and Bobby Waters.

[/URL]

Remember this guy?
I remember him. I also remember that some posters around here think Walsh didn't draft unknown, undrafted or untested players as "projects."
I know these aren't of a 49ers player, but now he fits!

SORRY DEION.
Originally posted by PTulini:

So that's my team when I was born at General Hospital in the Mission. Dang...too old!!!

So I wonder what throwbacks we are going to wear now?
Originally posted by ninertico:

So that's my team when I was born at General Hospital in the Mission. Dang...too old!!!

Love the old school numbers on those unis!!
Originally posted by ninertico:

I think one of the Matts mentioned they wanted to see the uniforms with the silver helmet? I think that was from 1962?
[ Edited by PTulini on May 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM ]

Another great Niner is Gene Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/players/genewashington/profile?id=WAS340752
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Another great Niner is Gene Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/players/genewashington/profile?id=WAS340752

Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Thanks for refreshing my memory. Right, it was after the 71 season in January of '72 and yes, I agree with you and EZrider that the team had some fabulous defensive players. But, again, the Cowboys didn't just win that game because Riley fumbled an onside kick. The defense had to give up two touchdowns in the last two minutes as well. I would never apologize for those teams. I watched them as a kid and loved them - but I stand by my bitter position that if Brodie had played with ANY of the defenses Montana and Young played with, the team's first Superbowl would have been 10 years earlier.

History is notoriously fickle, though, and I fully understand that had the Niners gone over the top in the early 70's, the great Bill Walsh run may never have happened, so I'm really not that bitter. Niner fans have gotten a lot more satisfaction and excitement than so many fans of other teams over the years.

IMHO, Brodie was an excellent QB but his last great year was '70. If a Niner team of that era had a real chance at the SB, I think it was that team. Great blend of vets and youngsters and solid players everywhere. Even had the NFC Championship Game at home. Unfortunately, they had a couple of bad breaks go against them in that game (including a sure TD pass to Willard that he lost in the sun and a tipped ball that resulted in an INT deep in SF territory which cost them a TD) and they were beaten 17-10. Many football experts thought the Niners were the better team. In that game though, the defense did allow a rookie RB named Duane Thomas to run for over 140 yards so if Brodie had the '84 defensive team then, who knows?
By 1970 though, Brodie was 35 years old and not mobile at all. He had an amazing OL so it didn't matter in that year but again, I think that was his last great year. Unfortunately, the team didn't have a good defense in '65, when the offense was on fire and Brodie was really in his prime.

[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jun 21, 2009 at 17:11:27 ]
Originally posted by sizzle86:

ass whoopin!
Share 49ersWebzone