LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

I Just Felt Like Going Old School Today!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ezrider:

Gotta disagree with you there. Frankie Albert was the team's best QB until Tittle arrived who was better than Brodie. Frankie was simply awesome. He was such a great little QB that when Otto Graham (perhaps the greatest QB of THAT time) was named 1st team All Pro, they listed Frankie on the first team as a running back.

Accurate passer, left-handed, great little runner, tremendous punter who used the quick kick often. Even coached the Niners.

Ezrider, you need to consult with MadDog. Frankie Albert was a little guy so he just couldn't have been that good at playing QB. According to the dog, you need to be at least 6'3" and not an inch shorter to have a decent chance in the NFL.

And, on Brodie, you have to admit that if he had played with any of Montana's defenses, he would have taken the team to the Superbowl. All the team had to do in '70 was hold on to an 11-point lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Any of Montana's or Young's defenses could have done that. So, of course, after 29 years, I'm still bitter about Brodie not being the first Niner Superbowl quarterback.
Excuse me, I meant after 39 years.... jeez, I'm old.
Quote:
Ezrider, you need to consult with MadDog. Frankie Albert was a little guy so he just couldn't have been that good at playing QB. According to the dog, you need to be at least 6'3" and not an inch shorter to have a decent chance in the NFL.

And, on Brodie, you have to admit that if he had played with any of Montana's defenses, he would have taken the team to the Superbowl. All the team had to do in '70 was hold on to an 11-point lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Any of Montana's or Young's defenses could have done that. So, of course, after 29 years, I'm still bitter about Brodie not being the first Niner Superbowl quarterback.

I have to disagree with you about Brodie. I loved John and used to caddy for him when I was a teenager. However, we had a very good defense at that time. I remember Cedrick Hardman, Tommy Hart, Bill Belk, Charley Krueger, Bob Hoskins and Earl Edwards on the DL.

We had some great DBs: Jimmy Johnson, Mel Phillips, Bruce Taylor, Roosevelt Taylor and Johnny Fuller.

Beard, Wilcox, Nunley and Vanderbundt were a good set of linebackers.

One of the losses had nothing to do with defense. Preston Riley fumbled an onside kick.
Originally posted by hklar17:

Quote:

I have to disagree with you about Brodie. I loved John and used to caddy for him when I was a teenager. However, we had a very good defense at that time. I remember Cedrick Hardman, Tommy Hart, Bill Belk, Charley Krueger, Bob Hoskins and Earl Edwards on the DL.

We had some great DBs: Jimmy Johnson, Mel Phillips, Bruce Taylor, Roosevelt Taylor and Johnny Fuller.

Beard, Wilcox, Nunley and Vanderbundt were a good set of linebackers.

One of the losses had nothing to do with defense. Preston Riley fumbled an onside kick.

We had some great players on defense, but I don't agree that we had a great defense. A great defense would not have given up an 11 point lead in less than 2 minutes. And, yes Riley fumbled, but the defense also had to allow the Cowboys to get two touchdowns to finish the game, so by definition, it was NOT a great defense. Can you think of ANY of the Niner defenses in the 80's that would have finished a game that way? No argument at all on most of the defensive players you mentioned, especially Johnson, Wilcox ,Hardman, Hart and Kruger. Maybe it was the coaching. But facts are facts, and that defense lost the chance to go to the superbowl after the '70 season.

QB Y.A. Tittle

RB John Henry Johnson

RB Hugh McElhenny

RB Joe"The Jet" Perry
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for NinerGold39.
Thought I'd chip in with the ol' skool collection...

Originally posted by NinerGold39:

man that is freaking cool i wonder how much something like that would cost
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

It's already outdated.

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Gotta disagree with you there. Frankie Albert was the team's best QB until Tittle arrived who was better than Brodie. Frankie was simply awesome. He was such a great little QB that when Otto Graham (perhaps the greatest QB of THAT time) was named 1st team All Pro, they listed Frankie on the first team as a running back.

Accurate passer, left-handed, great little runner, tremendous punter who used the quick kick often. Even coached the Niners.

Just to set the record straight, you are referring to the '72 playoff game with Dallas not the 1970 game. That '72 game turned when a rookie WR named Preston Riley fumbled an onside kick with less than 2 minutes left. Interestingly, that was the exact same day that Franco Harris made his "immaculate reception" against the Raiders.......a very sad day for Bay Area sports teams.
IMHO, the Niners had fine defenses in those years. Great DEs in Hardman and Hart, fine LBs (including HOFer D Wilcox) and a better than average secondary which included the great HOF CB Jimmy Johnson.
The problem was, they went up against a slightly better defense in Dallas'. Dallas had the playoff experience and were just a little bit better. The Niners of that era have nothing to apologize for though.....those were very fine teams. The 1970 version beat an excellent Vikings team on the road in the snow in Minnesota. The next week in the NFC championship game at Kesar, a couple of key plays went against them and they were beaten 17-10. Again, nothing to apologize for....that was a terrific team.....and the team that truly made me a Niner fan.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM ]
Thanks for refreshing my memory. Right, it was after the 71 season in January of '72 and yes, I agree with you and EZrider that the team had some fabulous defensive players. But, again, the Cowboys didn't just win that game because Riley fumbled an onside kick. The defense had to give up two touchdowns in the last two minutes as well. I would never apologize for those teams. I watched them as a kid and loved them - but I stand by my bitter position that if Brodie had played with ANY of the defenses Montana and Young played with, the team's first Superbowl would have been 10 years earlier.

History is notoriously fickle, though, and I fully understand that had the Niners gone over the top in the early 70's, the great Bill Walsh run may never have happened, so I'm really not that bitter. Niner fans have gotten a lot more satisfaction and excitement than so many fans of other teams over the years.
What could the person who designed that logo above the team possibly have been thinking?
Share 49ersWebzone