LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Our defense will be nasty in '09

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:
Originally posted by strickac:
Yeah, things are looking good on D. Franklin isn't bad, but throw in a guy like Raji or Brace and I think think we'll really turn the corner. I'm not worried too much about getting a pass rusher. Haralson is pretty good and I we'll surely add to the WILL this offseason. It's starting to come together for us.

that being said, we don't need Suggs.

Yes we do. Suggs >>>>> everyone we have to rush the QB.

I don't know what's with people on this site wanting to stay with what we have. It obviously didn't get it done last year. I don't understand why nobody ever wants to improve this team.

If we don't get Suggs then so be it. But we DO need him.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Feb 7, 2009 at 21:29:53 ]
Yeah, things are looking good on D. Franklin isn't bad, but throw in a guy like Raji or Brace and I think think we'll really turn the corner. I'm not worried too much about getting a pass rusher. Haralson is pretty good and I we'll surely add to the WILL this offseason. It's starting to come together for us.

We don't? Yes having a proven pass rusher and big play guy would be horrible. Haralson is ok...he's not a guy like Suggs. Just look at what he did in the playoffs.

Suggs is my #1 free agent target. He has experience in a 3-4, experience playing for Sing and brings a passion for the game we need. Haralson is a very good backup. I don't want him starting - or he can come in for Lawson on 3rd downs.
Originally posted by genus49:

We don't? Yes having a proven pass rusher and big play guy would be horrible. Haralson is ok...he's not a guy like Suggs. Just look at what he did in the playoffs.

Suggs is my #1 free agent target. He has experience in a 3-4, experience playing for Sing and brings a passion for the game we need. Haralson is a very good backup. I don't want him starting - or he can come in for Lawson on 3rd downs.

"Suggs seems more realistic given Singletary's history with him. But remember, Suggs had eights sacks this season. Parys Haralson had the same total and, unlike Suggs, he did not start every game and did not have as good a surrounding cast."
- Matt

We dont need to spend the money for suggs...if Haralson can do better with half the games and surrounding talent, then why not spend the money in other areas of need like CB, FS...OFFENSIVE LINE! IMHO.

[ Edited by bammer806 on Feb 7, 2009 at 23:00:36 ]
Everyone saying Suggs only had 8 sacks in the regular season are forgetting that he had 2 sacks in the AFC championship game with a hurt shoulder. That's the difference between him and Parry currently, he makes plays when they count, Parry so far hasn't been able to get the consistent pressure throughout games. He has sack numbers, but I doubt he has near the amount of pressures that an elite force like Suggs has.

And furthermore to the doubters who think we can't be a dominating D, we already are ranked 13th in YPG, we need to cut down on our points allowed to be the type of defense we want and a pass rush plays huge into that. An extra pass rush or two on the roster and we can do some real damage next year.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

I want us to go after A.Haynesworth, but we might be done with the big FA signings for awhile

He would be a great pickup
Originally posted by GoreIsABoss415:

I want us to go after A.Haynesworth, but we might be done with the big FA signings for awhile

I would love Haynesworth, but how awesome would it be if we picked Julius Peppers (who wants out of Carolina and wants to play in a 3-4) and then drafted Raji....our D would be pretty legit.

Haynesworth or Peppers would be excellent then what we would need is a Safety and maybe put Walt Harris in as the Nickle DB and replace him at the corner with Tarell Brown or possibly Reggie Smith then the D will be pretty much set.

[ Edited by Super5 on Feb 8, 2009 at 00:07:27 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Sorry but there's no way this defense is going to nasty until the D-Line is upgraded and we get a pass-rush; both of which will take more than one off season to rebuild.

Keep in mind Haralson got 8 sacks even though he didn't start all 16 games and there were some games under Nolan where he,Manny,Green played little or not at all and imo the pass rush may be there already and we just need 1 more player on the D-line.
If we have the opportunity to take an elite pass rusher in the draft then I think we have to pull the trigger. We honestly are 1 pass rusher, a FS, and NT away from a top 10 defense. Prays is developing nicely, but we gotta get that guy on the weak side. My defense wish list follows:

FS: O.J Atogwe, he will be highly sought after because he has great speed and an eye for the ball. 13 picks in 2 seasons. Not bad....

OLB: Draft Everette Brown, the junior from Florida State. 13.5 sacks and 22.5 tackles for loss in his 08 season. There will be a learning curve as we will need to get used to standing up and dropping back in coverage. 6'4" 250lbs, with SPEED and a spin move that kills. Absolute prototype for the Will LB spot to play opposite of Prays. He has a great chance to be productive his rookie year and if he does we become very scary.

NT: Ron Brace, Boston College. With the play of Franklin I think we can afford to pass on Raji. 6'3" 330lbs, Brace can also open our options on defense as he is well suited to a 2 gap and command the double team. Great 3rd round value. I can't wait to see his combine numbers.
Originally posted by shobbrobb49:
Now A.Franklin is good?WOW!

I said he wasn't bad and he isn't. You have to give him a little credit though. If the job wasn't that tough, do you think we would've filled the position with someone else by now? It's only been like 3 years now. He's the best option we have and he continues to improve. He played very nice down the stretch last season.
Unless we sign Peppers, our first round pick should be Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin. Our secondary will look a lot better if we have a consistent pass rush.
Why is there not more talk about Reggie Smith getting a shot at free safety? T Brown seems to be ahead of him at corner.

• saeniner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bammer806:
Originally posted by tagliabue:
To be top five (Giants level) we'll need to drastically improve our pass rush. Let's hope we can land one or two studs in the draft. We won't sign Suggs or Peppers anyway and I don't think we should. We need to learn how to build within.

Next years draft looks very enticing from the defensive side of the ball. I'm drooling over a few of the names that will likely be available. THAT'S when we'll have a top 5 defense!

LIKE TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Like Eric Berry
Top five defense? We hear this every damn offseason and every year the defense disappoints.
No More Nolan, of course our defense will be better. The big "SUB"is gone. I think the defense where he is going is going to all of a sudden suck also. That guy was a disaster.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Our defense will suck until we get a defensive line and a pass rush. Period.
Originally posted by ace8016:
I qouldn't call it a huge disappointment. They did manage to finish like 13th in overall def.

Under Nolan they were

But under Coach Singletary and our DC Greg Manusky, Our defense ranked 4th in the league over the last 8 games in 2008!

As for help on the D-line in FA...What do you guys think of DT Rocky Bernard? He will come cheaper than Albert Haynesworth. Although I would hate to be Alex in practice, he may have flashbacks!
Share 49ersWebzone